• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Community Thread: Anything and everything Super Mario

Ninja Dom

Great point, Dom. I really like what you said here. Thinking on it now, seeing Mario without his cap has always been a pleasing image for me also. I wonder where I first saw it - SM64, perhaps? I think it's because it humanizes him further. Those are the little touches I always like in Mario games.

Yeah I think it was 64 where we saw him without a hat. In his appearances in other games Mario either wore his signature hat or a hat that belonged to the profession that Mario was taking part in. Like a chef's hat in Yoshi's Cookie.
latest

Stopdoor

Yeah I think it was 64 where we saw him without a hat. In his appearances in other games Mario either wore his signature hat or a hat that belonged to the profession that Mario was taking part in. Like a chef's hat in Yoshi's Cookie.
latest

Dr. Mario goes quite far back.

Ninja Dom

Dr. Mario goes quite far back.

Yup, you're absolutely right. Dr. Mario was 1990. Japanese box art here...
tumblr_n3lkm6ClZV1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

How is everybody liking UbiSoft's renderings of Mario for Mario + Rabbids??

Mario-Rabbids-Kingdom-Battle-Announced-Init.jpg

The main title picture has Mario looking all kinds of weird to me. Not the Samus style gun on his arm but the pose and the expression. Hmmm...

maxcriden

Whoa, I never realized Dr. Mario was a day and date cross-platform release from Nintendo for GB and FC! July 27, 1990. That's got to be one of the first cross-platform day and date Nintendo releases. Heck, I don't think there are many!

It's funny I hadn't thought of the good Doctor previously when we discussed the hair renders. I wonder which I encountered first, GB Dr. Mario or SM64. Probably the GB version. I think with the head mirror drawing the eye so much it doesn't show off Mario's tousled 'do to the same extent.

SMG2MarioLuma.png

It's charming in the Galaxy games but I like the messy way it looks in 64 a lot, too.

Anyway, as to your question about the renders. I think they look amazingly high quality, especially in game, though without the charming trappings of a Nintendo world in the same way, I don't think they have the same feel to me somehow. I don't know how to put it into words exactly. M+R very much feels like a Rabbids game with Mario trappings to me, not as a dig against it, it's just less aesthetically of interest to me personally. So Mario and co. look good but there's not that Nintendo extra visual hook to have me associate this particular render in my mind, like the Bee Mushroom or Super Bell immediately bring to mind Mario's look from those specific games. I like the look of Tuttorio. I don't care much for the cover render, looks strange to me. /admitted Nintendo fanboy

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's Mario's mouth in that Rabbids box that looks off---also we rarely see him from that angle looking up, right?

KiN0

Still the mario galaxy duology. Perfectly mixed gameplay mechanics, aesthetic, challenge, and nostalgia, while still bringing a fresh take on the 3d mario series.

That may change with Odyssey though. The footage we've seen looks fantastical, and I'm really digging the globetrotting whirlwind wedding theme.

Ninja Dom

I just got Mario + Rabbids on Switch and it got me thinking...what are some of the interesting/good non-Nintendo published console games with Mario in?

426px-FS_boxcover.png

424px-Ssxontour.jpg

424px-NBA_Street_V3_Cover.jpg

Orig_ita01.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mario 3-on-3 Hoops by Square Enix was pretty cool.

Honestly the gameplay was subpar, but it had some of the best looking 3D on the DS, some great sprite work in addition to that, and a cool roster of characters with some fun FF crossovers thrown in.

Ninja Dom

90901-Mario_Clash_(Japan,_USA)-6.jpg

Mario Clash
  • Virtual Boy
  • September/October 1995
  • Producer: Gunpei Yokoi

This game is a 3D version of the original Mario Bros single screen arcade game. Supposed to be a very average game as well. Only single player too. The intro sees a Hot Air Ballon dropping loads of "things" into the top of Clash Tower, which is a huge skyscraper that reaches up into the clouds. Mario is at the bottom and enters to clear the tower of all the critters.

hqdefault.jpg
Mario_Clash_-_Nintendo_Virtual_Boy_screen_shot.png

Longplay video

Astral Dog

Yup, you're absolutely right. Dr. Mario was 1990. Japanese box art here...
tumblr_n3lkm6ClZV1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

How is everybody liking UbiSoft's renderings of Mario for Mario + Rabbids??

Mario-Rabbids-Kingdom-Battle-Announced-Init.jpg

The main title picture has Mario looking all kinds of weird to me. Not the Samus style gun on his arm but the pose and the expression. Hmmm...
I like them but agree he looks very weird on the box, did he gain weight? its clear Ubisoft has an easier time with those rabbids 🐇

If you go to Walgreens they may have these Mushroom pool floats for $2.19.

450.jpg

I got one last week and two this week, I've got 4 now. Probably few if any left.

You gonna use them?

In some fashion.

In addition to collecting a lot of regular video games (mostly Nintendo) merchandise I also buy other stuff like wall art, board games, other home accessories.

I originally bought one when it was $5. Then I saw one on clearance some where else for $2.19 and thought to buy it and return the other.

Then I saw two more at the price and couldn't pass it up. 4 is a nice, even number.

I don't really swim but I could use them in the future or give them to friends and family.

I also wonder if they'll be cool to display on a wall or if it could support the weight of children outside of water?

Rlan

Are we getting a new Mario and Sonic game for the Winter Olympics?

It's admittedly pretty late to announce a new Mario & Sonic game, compared to previous releases, but the Rio 2016 Olympics was the first to actually come out around the olympics themselves, and not like 8 months beforehand.

Nintendo and the Switch are pretty different this time around though. They're way more likely to just announce a game and for it to come out a month later.

Ninja Dom

Apart from the demo of Rio Olympics on Wii U, I’ve never played any of these. Are they any good??

Interesting fact: Sega’s Mario model in these games was the highest detailed and polycount Mario so far in video games.

Apart from the demo of Rio Olympics on Wii U, I’ve never played any of these. Are they any good??

Interesting fact: Sega’s Mario model in these games was the highest detailed and polycount Mario so far in video games.

I find them quite a lot of fun, but in general they aren't received very well. They are quite shallow collections of mini-games, but if you haven't played one before, you might find more fun in them than people for whom they are old hat.

Rlan

I find them quite a lot of fun, but in general they aren't received very well. They are quite shallow collections of mini-games, but if you haven't played one before, you might find more fun in them than people for whom they are old hat.

The handheld versions of these games have generally had more content - a very basic, loose story mode with meeting characters and collecting stuff, compared to the Wii & Wii U versions. Now that there's just one version with the Switch, it might be easier & cheaper to make overall.

The handheld versions of these games have generally had more content - a very basic, loose story mode with meeting characters and collecting stuff, compared to the Wii & Wii U versions. Now that there's just one version with the Switch, it might be easier & cheaper to make overall.

The last Winter Olympics one - Sochi - skipped the 3DS. I wonder why.

Top Bottom