• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario games shine and Yakuza re-enters Top 40 | UK boxed charts

Woopah

It was another strong week for Nintendo in the UK this week, and in particular for its iconic mascot. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is the best-selling boxed game in the UK for a fourth straight week, holding No.1 despite an 18% drop in sales. Meanwhile, other Mario titles in the charts enjoyed a sales uptick.

It was a strong week for Nintendo overall. Six of the boxed Top Ten were Nintendo Switch games, and they all increased in sales week-on-week. The biggest riser was Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which rose from No.7 to No.3 after a 40% sales boost. Animal Crossing saw an update this week featuring items and clothing from the Mario series.

There were no new releases in the charts, although Yakuza: Like A Dragon returns to the Top 40 at No.35 following the release of the PS5 version. Elsewhere, Spider-Man: Miles Morales holds No.2 after a slight 19% drop in sales, which suggests PS5 stock is still coming in strongly in the UK. However, PS4 hit The Last of Us Part 2 drops from No.3 to No.11. The game had re-entered the charts last week following price discounting.

Last week's new releases dropped heavily week-on-week. New Switch RPG Bravely Default 2 drops from No.11 to No.33 following a 74% sales drop. Meanwhile, Persona 5 Strikers, which debuted at No.5 last week, has disappeared from the boxed charts altogether.

LWTWTitleLabel
11SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + BOWSER'S FURYNINTENDO
22MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALESSONY COMPUTER ENT.
73ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONSNINTENDO
64MARIO KART 8 DELUXENINTENDO
85CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS COLD WARACTIVISION
136SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARSNINTENDO
97GRAND THEFT AUTO VROCKSTAR
108MINECRAFTNINTENDO
149RING FIT ADVENTURENINTENDO
1210ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLAUBISOFT
311THE LAST OF US PART IISONY COMPUTER ENT.
1512JUST DANCE 2021UBISOFT
1713SUPER MARIO ODYSSEYNINTENDO
414FIFA 21EA SPORTS
1815THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILDNINTENDO
1616LITTLE NIGHTMARES IIBANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
2117DEMON'S SOULSSONY COMPUTER ENT.
1918LUIGI'S MANSION 3NINTENDO
2419MINECRAFT DUNGEONSMOJANG
2020LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTIONWARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
2321SUPER MARIO PARTYNINTENDO
22POKEMON SWORDNINTENDO
2623RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2ROCKSTAR
2724SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATENINTENDO
222551 WORLDWIDE GAMESNINTENDO
2826IMMORTALS FENYX RISINGUBISOFT
2927WATCH DOGS: LEGIONUBISOFT
28CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGYACTIVISION
3529POKEMON SHIELDNINTENDO
3730MINECRAFT: BEDROCK EDITIONSONY COMPUTER ENT.
3131HITMAN IIISQUARE ENIX
3032LEGO JURASSIC WORLDWARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
1133BRAVELY DEFAULT IISQUARE ENIX
3834LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES 2WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
35YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGONSEGA
3336MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020NINTENDO
3937CARNIVAL GAMES2K
3638NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXENINTENDO
39SPLATOON 2NINTENDO
4040NBA 2K212K

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-and-yakuza-re-enters-top-40-uk-boxed-charts

Kuranghi

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a megahit seemingly, I think I saw 20M+ copies sold (correct if wrong) on a slide the over day, fucking loved it. Had so much fun finding all the gems, took like 25 hours for 100%, which was a bit too long maybe, but I don't know how long story + a few detours takes, maybe a lot less.

Bodomism

Banned
Luigi's Mansion 3 was a megahit seemingly, I think I saw 20M+ copies sold (correct if wrong) on a slide the over day, fucking loved it. Had so much fun finding all the gems, took like 25 hours for 100%, which was a bit too long maybe, but I don't know how long story + a few detours takes, maybe a lot less.
Nearly 10 million copies sold.

Woopah

U.K. is Sony Nintendo land.
As a software publisher yes, but for hardware both PS4 and PS5 will outsell the Switch. It's a similar situation to Germany (hardware comparison and the latest software charts below)

dPWkyWz.jpg
eopPdLg.jpg

Bodomism

Banned
As a software publisher yes, but for hardware both PS4 and PS5 will outsell the Switch. It's a similar situation to Germany (hardware comparison and the latest software charts below)

dPWkyWz.jpg
eopPdLg.jpg
Nintendo Switch is catching up to PS4 ltd sales number

UK 2020
Switch 1.5M
PS4 0.45M

LTD
PS4 LTD - 7.58 mil
Xbox One LTD - 5.6 mil ltd
Switch - 4 mil ltd

2 months of 2021

Nintendo Switch started slowly but each year it generated more momentum than before.

UK 2020
Switch 1.5M
PS4 0.45M

LTD
PS4 LTD - 7.58 mil
Switch - 4 mil ltd

2 months of 2021

Nintendo Switch started slowly but each year it generated more momentum than before.

That's still 4m Units to go.
So at least 3 years of sales.

Woopah

UK 2020
Switch 1.5M
PS4 0.45M

LTD
PS4 LTD - 7.58 mil
Switch - 4 mil ltd

2 months of 2021

It is catching up but I don't think Switch can just grow and grow forever. Either this year or next year it'll start to slow down.

If it does catch PS4 I'll be impressed!

Bodomism

Banned
It is catching up but I don't think Switch can just grow and grow forever. Either this year or next year it'll start to slow down.

If it does catch PS4 I'll be impressed!
In Japan, Nintendo Switch is currently tracking above 3DS which was deemed impossible back in 2017-2019.

Nintendo Switch still hasn't received a single price cut. The momentum isn't to stop anytime soon.

Woopah

In Japan, Nintendo Switch is currently tracking above 3DS which was deemed impossible back in 2017-2019.

Nintendo Switch still hasn't received a single price cut. The momentum isn't to stop anytime soon.
It'll still sell well but it can't grow indefinitely, I think this year or last year will be the peak years for Switch hardware and it'll be down YoY after that (assuming the Switch Plus launches in 2021).

MrA

Banned
As I've said before, this would be more fun with numbers, but funny that Mario and spiderman had the same drop by percent, bravely default 2 doesn't sound like it's doing too hot in the UK, shame,
Anyone know how scalped ps 5 units are going in the UK? in the us they're down to ~800, so either sony is getting better with supply, the weekly demand is getting close to being reached, or the number of people willing to pay over 800 has simply been saturated, or some mix of all three.

e&e

Banned
It'll still sell well but it can't grow indefinitely, I think this year or last year will be the peak years for Switch hardware and it'll be down YoY after that (assuming the Switch Plus launches in 2021).
Wanna bet?

Top Bottom