• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Gets A Safer Sleep In His Original 3D Outing On Nintendo 64.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As pointed out on the Supper Mario Broth Twitter account, there was code in Super Mario 64 that made sure there was enough space behind the character before he could take a nap. You can see the differences between the two games in the below tweet:

As explained, if Mario is standing on an edge looking outwards in the N64 outing, he will fall asleep on the floor behind him. However, if he's facing with his back to the edge, he'll refuse to rest.

Stuart360

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The power that allows Mario to transcend his bodily form and temporarily incarnate as a frog, a spark of lightning, a tree, etc allows him to sleep anywhere he chooses.

tr1p1ex

I feel that way about a lot of games. That back in the day the games were more interesting becuase of programming touches like this. Nowadays there is so much focus on the graphical detail that it takes up all the budget and time of the developers. Even Nintendo.

Rodolink

Its the attention to detail, old school developers had. Now still happens in some games but development has grown so complex that some things have to be cut in order to finish a product.
Amazing but understandable considering modern times

Nothing will ever beat super mario 64 - it was a golden period where games were made to such a high standard on one console, the nintendo 64. I personally would love a remake or a virtual console on the nintendo switch.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh great, I'll never look at Odyssey the same way now.

Top Bottom