• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

DaBoss

https://twitter.com/DeSero/status/351013447451934721

dTAsx54.png

Probably just a guess and not an actual confirmation.

Roo

- About tracks size: "In Mario Kart 8 tracks have also been narrowed compared to Mario Kart Wii and reflects more the size of the road. "

So.. I'm not sure if I understood right... tracks are narrower compared to Mario Kart Wii but they're also longer? is that what he's saying?
Not sure what his point is tho.. I mean, SNES Ghost Valley was short but N64 Bowser's Castle (the longest MKWii track) was a massive map compared to it. Size is subjetive here.

that's pretty impressive.

It really is. It only shows how well organized Konno's team is. This makes me think they always knew what they wanted for Mario Kart 8 since the beggining. Amazing group.

Glad to hear there's more "choice" to the customization in MK8 compared to MK7. I liked that aspect of MK7 a lot. Hopefully they can balance it well.

Also, an easy non-intrusive GamePad use would be to bring back the decal editor from MKDS. That'd be great with the resistive touchscreen. Imagine having art as well-done as Miiverse on the side of your kart or as your online representation.

bomma_man

So.. I'm not sure if I understood right... tracks are narrower compared to Mario Kart Wii but they're also longer? is that what he's saying?
Not sure what his point is tho.. I mean, SNES Ghost Valley was short but N64 Bowser's Castle (the longest MKWii track) was a massive map compared to it. Size is subjetive here.

It really is. It only shows how well organized Konno's team is. This makes me think they always knew what they wanted for Mario Kart 8 since the beggining. Amazing group.

The road itself in wii was super wide to accommodate the extra racers, meaning there were racing lines within racing lines. Thankfully they're narrowing it.

Forkball

Still can't believe they aren't getting MK8 out for this winter. You would've think that when Wii U was floundering at launch, the immediate response would have been "EVERYONE STOP AND WORK ON MARIO KART." I don't think SM3DW is going to be a big system mover, but at least Nintendo still has a really good 3DS lineup this fall to get a profit (save us Pokemon).

Still can't believe they aren't getting MK8 out for this winter. You would've think that when Wii U was floundering at launch, the immediate response would have been "EVERYONE STOP AND WORK ON MARIO KART." I don't think SM3DW is going to be a big system mover, but at least Nintendo still has a really good 3DS lineup this fall to get a profit (save us Pokemon).
Mario 3D World in combination with the other games will be enough for the holidays, especially with good advertising. 2014 is more important in my opinion. That will be the period in which the Wii U will need system seller software the most, when the hype from new systems has died down.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mario 3D World in combination with the other games will be enough for the holidays, especially with good advertising. 2014 is more important in my opinion. That will be the period in which the Wii U will need system seller software the most, when the hype from new systems has died down.

Yeah, I'm definitely hyped for Nintendo 2014. SSB4 and MK8. Those two games are more likely to be most played games in 2014 for Wii U for me.

MDX

Im not so sure what launching for the competition, but I think Nintendo is still
giving third parties room to breath for Xmas. In particular, Ubisoft. And, Nintendo also knows they need to keep the sales momentum after Xmas. Didnt quite work out this year.

flc

The lightning bolt is another terribly broken item that needs to go away. It basically killed clan wars in Mario Kart Wii.

Only because the vocal minority voted to ban the only thing that counters lightning-based strategies. Even then, there's still plenty of depth to competitive MKW.

They have a really good Wii U lineup as well. Zelda, Mario & Sonic, Donkey Kong, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World.

Then just as PS4/Xbone launch fever starts to quieten down, Mario Kart 8

Yeah, I'm definitely hyped for Nintendo 2014. SSB4 and MK8. Those two games are more likely to be most played games in 2014 for Wii U for me.
Agreed, I'm looking forward to X and Bayo 2 for a nice double dose of Monolith and Platinum goodness, two of the best developers Nintendo has the pleasure of being tight with.

Fabrik

Banned
The tracks being narrower is excellent news.
I wonder how they will antigrav the retro tracks. Are they just going to add drivable walls or are they going to completely twist them? I hope it's the latter.

I want the next Rainbow Road to resemble something along the lines of this..

Despite it being the N64 track in the image, I want something even more precarious than the MKWii Rainbow Road, as I feel that was the hardest (to stay on the track) one in the series so far (excluding MK7 - havn't played), and it really is so much more of an interesting challenge if you have to actually focus to just stay on the track.

Roo

I want the next Rainbow Road to resemble something along the lines of this..

Despite it being the N64 track in the image, I want something even more precarious than the MKWii Rainbow Road, as I feel that was the hardest (to stay on the track) one in the series so far (excluding MK7 - havn't played), and it really is so much more of an interesting challenge if you have to actually focus to just stay on the track.

If they do another fenceless track like MKW's Rainbow Road they seriously need to fix the character collision detection. Smaller characters don't stand a chance against bigger ones. They literally will fly off the road. That's actually the reason I don't use any lightweight character online. They hit you and you're screwed.
Hopefully they'll fix this for MK8

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Don't forget there is also Bayonetta 2, "X", and Yoshi's Yarn Island.

Agreed, I'm looking forward to X and Bayo 2 for a nice double dose of Monolith and Platinum goodness, two of the best developers Nintendo has the pleasure of being tight with.

Oh right. I'm looking forward for X and Yoshi's Yarn.

I will give Bayonetta a second chance if she get in SSB4. If she didn't then I don't find any point to give her game a second chance.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A second chance??? What did she do wrong the first time around?

Honestly, I forget why I don't like the game. It was long time ago. I borrowed the game from my friend, so I played it for awhile. I just decided to stop playing the game and return it back to my friend then I told him that I don't like the game. Ever since Bayonetta 2 got announced for Wii U, my friend and I made a bet that if Bayonetta get in Smash 4 and I would reconsider to give the game a second chance.

Roo

Heck even medium weights were sent flying my heavies in the wii version.
KuGsj.gif

Thankfully it was toned downed in 7.

Well yeah medium weights had this issue as well but it was mostly with bikes.
but with lightweights.. karts and bikes were sent to die equally in a tight race

I'll happily do a new version of my Combo Explorer app for this new MK8

Here's the one for MK7:
http://www.comboexplorer.com

Why charge for it?
I mean, It's great and it's your work, I respect that but I think it would be better for you and everyone else if it was free. From a consumer perspective, I wouldn't pay for it knowing I could get a less informative yet effective site for those stats.

My opinion of course but you're free to do whatever you want. :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If they do another fenceless track like MKW's Rainbow Road they seriously need to fix the character collision detection. Smaller characters don't stand a chance against bigger ones. They literally will fly off the road. That's actually the reason I don't use any lightweight character online. They hit you and you're screwed.
Hopefully they'll fix this for MK8
Ummm that's the point of different weight classes though

ffdgh

Oh and there was also the issue of weight affecting how high characters went off ramps and other things. Lightweights were so floaty.

LogouT

I recently rewatched some footage from E3, and started wondering what has happened to the wheelie from Mario Kart Wii.

This has probably been answered in an interview or something, but I figured someone here could provide an answer if something has been confirmed.

Is the wheelie gone? Do bikes have two-stage power slides like the karts? Is there perhaps a consistent stat difference between bikes and karts? Or is the choice between the two a purely cosmetic one in MK8?

Oh, and off topic: first post =)

DaBoss

I recently rewatched some footage from E3, and started wondering what has happened to the wheelie from Mario Kart Wii.

This has probably been answered in an interview or something, but I figured someone here could provide an answer if something has been confirmed.

Is the wheelie gone? Do bikes have two-stage power slides like the karts? Is there perhaps a consistent stat difference between bikes and karts? Or is the choice between the two a purely cosmetic one in MK8?

Oh, and off topic: first post =)

First of all, welcome to NeoGAF!

From the impressions I've watched/read, it seems to indicate that Bikes now play more like Karts. The Wheelie is most likely gone because it gives Bikes a pretty huge advantage against Karts.

Yes, there are 2 drift sparks for Bikes now as well.

- Wheelies are not in the demo version, and none was shown in any of the trailers (though you can see bikes now do a short wheelie when using a mushroom, but it's just for the sake of the animation). They did not confirm if it would be present in the final version, but you can assume it won't be in.

- Yes, bikes now have access to super mini-turbos (orange sparks) too.

- We do not know anything about stats. Considering the two above points (no wheelie + SMTs for bikes), karts and bikes appear to be the same thing now, the only difference being cosmetic like you said. (Well, actually it's a bit easier to avoid items when the vehicle is not large so bikes still have that advantage over karts.)

No bike with the “inside”-type drift (like Bowser Bike / Mach Bike etc. in Mario Kart Wii) has been shown.

Roo

- Wheelies are not in the demo version, and none was shown in any of the trailers (though you can see bikes now do a short wheelie when using a mushroom, but it's just for the sake of the animation). They did not confirm if it would be present in the final version, but you can assume it won't be in.

- Yes, bikes now have access to super mini-turbos (orange sparks) too.

- We do not know anything about stats. Considering the two above points (no wheelie + SMTs for bikes), karts and bikes appear to be the same thing now, the only difference being cosmetic like you said. (Well, actually it's a bit easier to avoid items when the vehicle is not large so bikes still have that advantage over karts.)

No bike with the “inside”-type drift (like Bowser Bike / Mach Bike etc. in Mario Kart Wii) has been shown.

Since both, karts and bikes are pretty much the same now, they should keep the Standard Bike handling from Mario Kart Wii for this game's bikes. No inside type drift bikes like the ones you listed. If it's gonna be the same item mess as always, at least keep this aspect as fair as possible.

Talking about karts and bikes... Mario Kart Wii had 16 bikes and 16 karts (not counting SBM, SBL and SKM, SKL since those are bigger SBS-SKS) for a total of 32 vehicles and Mario Kart 7 had 16 vehicles.
I wonder how many there will be for Mario Kart 8. Not sure if expecting something like MKW is a little bit too much with all the customization going on or if it should be the bare minimum.

Edit: with "SB" and SK" I mean Standard Bike and Standard Kart where M and L stand for Medium and Large.

As long as the bikes are balanced, I'm happy. I was worried when they first showed them, since karts just weren't viable in MK Wii. But everything I've seen shows that they're working to fix the problems from Wii. And personally, I thought MK7 was fantastic and well-balanced, so I have confidence in this one.

Log4Girlz

It'll come out just before Wii U's fourth E3 showing.

Videoneon

Bring back:

"Hi I'm Daisy!"
"Hi I'm Daisy!"
"Hi I'm Daisy!"
"Hi I'm Daisy!"
"Hi I'm Daisy!"

:D

Yes! This is hilarious. (featuring "PEACH HI I'M DAISY PEACH HI I'M DAISY PEACH HI I'M DAISY") I also want this:

Wario: "Doh I missed!"

Toad: "Woohoo! I'm the best!"

Peach: "Peach!"

Waluigi: "Waluigi time!"

etc. etc. I love that annoying Mario talk. At the Mario Kart 64 character select screen I used to rapidly select and unselect characters so that you could hear them make noises.

I also wish Yoshi would go back to making whatever the hell noise he made prior to Yoshi's Story.

Roo

Yeah missing holiday sales with a MK bundle seems so bad. How did they not start the development earlier...

I want to believe creating HD textures/assets took them a longer time than expected.
Konno said they pretty much started working on MK8 right after MK7 was released.
Besides, it's only his team now.. not external help so I understand they're taking their time to get their first HD game right.

Top Bottom