• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
We captured a full race (Bell Cup, 3DS Neo Bowser City, 100cc) which shows both Smart Steering and double item new features, with Nintendo Switch on TV mode:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/368173/Nuevo+gameplay+de+Mario+Kart+8+en+Switch+con+dos+objetos/

I also THINK it looks slightly better in terms of AA, telling by how GBA Ribbon Road looked with pretty much no aliasing... but will have to compare with direct feed ofc.
It does look better than Wii U's version, thanks to the resolution bump. Too bad about the framerate in your video though :p

13ruce

Banned
We captured a full race (Bell Cup, 3DS Neo Bowser City, 100cc) which shows both Smart Steering and double item new features, with Nintendo Switch on TV mode:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/368173/Nuevo+gameplay+de+Mario+Kart+8+en+Switch+con+dos+objetos/

I also THINK it looks slightly better in terms of AA, telling by how GBA Ribbon Road looked with pretty much no aliasing... but will have to compare with direct feed ofc.

The double item mechanic is so good i love dat chaos:p

marc^o^

I reallly hope they will include HD Rumble in Mario Kart. Seems like a no brainer to showcase what it can add to a racing game.

My fiance was complaining that none of the five modes featured an elimination mode (like where if you lose all of your balloons, you're out of the match).

Is this true? Seems bad if so. She may have just been confused.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My fiance was complaining that none of the five modes featured an elimination mode (like where if you lose all of your balloons, you're out of the match).

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in case. It become normal for Mario Kart nowadays.

Berordn

Balloon Battle in MK8 would turn you into a ghost rather than fully eliminate, but you could still earn points by dropping bananas and green shells.

Timed battle, no elimination mode is the norm for MK battle these days.

AKC12

Shine runners is incredibly fun. I'm glad Nintendo realized that and brought that, and Bomb-omb Blast back.

What's Smart Steering?

A feature added to the game to allow players to stay on the track at all times and not drop off the track, have Lakitu pick you up and put you back on the track. It is probably for those that have trouble staying on the track in Mario Kart, mainly in 200cc.

Edit: The feature is pretty much making easier to stay on the track, not be fixed completely to the track. You can still fall off.

marc^o^

It is probably for those that have trouble staying on the track in Mario Kart, mainly in 200cc.
I believe it's smarter than that: it makes Mario Kart competitive even if you play against kids or new comers. Nothing is more boring than having to wait minutes for the 8th player to cross the line. It solves this issue and makes Mario Kart a game you can enjoy with anyone.

deleted

I hope there are options. Without, the battle mode isn't really fixed for me.

It's not one of the 5 shown icons though. But the artwork features 3 balloons, while the game only had 5 so far, so who knows?!

I believe it's smarter than that: it makes Mario Kart competitive even if you play against kids or new comers. Nothing is more boring than having to wait minutes for the 8th player to cross the line. It solves this issue and makes Mario Kart a game you can enjoy with anyone.

Yeah, definitely. It's a feature I see that can be used to help people play without being seriously handhold-y like finishing the race automatically. It keeps the race going and some tracks with little railing and a lot of places where you can fall off like the opening of Mount Wario and Neo Bowser City on 200cc that got me at first in certain turns with no railing.

I probably won't use it myself, but it's a pretty good feature to add for people that aren't that great at Mario Kart, but still enjoy playing the games solo or with family and friends. Plus, it can help the players learn the tracks without worrying about falling off the track completely at first and, when they feel they are ready, they can take the feature off.

Roo

I reallly hope they will include HD Rumble in Mario Kart. Seems like a no brainer to showcase what it can add to a racing game.

And.. what can it add, exactly?

Shine runners is incredibly fun. I'm glad Nintendo realized that and brought that, and Bomb-omb Blast back.

We don't even know if it's Shine Runners. It may very well be Shine Thief.

So dumb question. Maybe I was the only one that it sometimes bothered before but there was this odd frame pacing in mk8. Every so now and again. Is that fixed?

deleted

And.. what can it add, exactly?

Could be a bunch of stuff - maybe different kinds of rumble regarding to what is hitting you?
Slow rumbles that get faster as a blue shell approaches?
Rumble rolling from left to right and back when you slip on a banana peel?

You could do a bunch of stuff with rumble.

Revven

I hope there are options. Without, the battle mode isn't really fixed for me.

It's not one of the 5 shown icons though. But the artwork features 3 balloons, while the game only had 5 so far, so who knows?!

I mean, in VS racing you can change the rules before the races start and obviously you can set up custom race rooms online with access to the same rules selection

While it's entirely possible for Nintendo to be boneheaded enough to not allow the same freedom -- making it so once you select the mode you go straight to the character select screen -- it would be really strange because I'm pretty sure I remember at least previous MK battle modes (Wii mainly) allowing you to at least change the time limit.

So, assuming Nintendo isn't stupid the mode itself would be Balloon Battle but you would be taken to a rules selection screen where you could turn off CPUs, set a time limit (or not), set score or set it to Elimination/Survival, and set the item type (just like you can in VS races).

In fact, them NOT offering any options would fly completely in the face of how much they advertised the options you had for racing. Remember how much they talked about how you could change the items and so on for races? It would be really, really weird if the same options were not available for battle modes.

Galang said:
Bobomb battle?! Shit yes!!!!! I hope each mode is playable online too

It's much more likely the main matchmaking for battle mode will just randomly choose one of the five modes.

However, that wouldn't mean you wouldn't be able to set up your own battle room like you can your own race room and set the mode you want it to be for people to find.

Berordn

In fact, them NOT offering any options would fly completely in the face of how much they advertised the options you had for racing. Remember how much they talked about how you could change the items and so on for races? It would be really, really weird if the same options were not available for battle modes.

edit: hold on i'm a dumbass

Most of those options actually are there already in the Wii U battle mode, it's just pretty limited.
5yu71.jpg

Round Time for instance doesn't have an option to disable the time limit, just from 1-5 minutes. Of course they're not limited to these options in Deluxe, but there's precedent for not letting you customize much.

Smart Steering is probably going to have some kind of drawback though, just like Automatic mode in Mario Kart Wii which disabled mini-turbos. Otherwise it's likely to be exploited in some way.

Yeah Mario kart hasn't done this in ages, which is awful. I'm skeptical this will be that good compared to DD

Piers

Most of the time I find that people who realise a handicap is on get so insulted that they want it turned off or refuse to play.
If they can't stay on the track then there are better games for them.

Muzy72

Banned
Most of the time I find that people who realise a handicap is on get so insulted that they want it turned off or refuse to play.
If they can't stay on the track then there are better games for them.
Handicap is perfect for my 5 year old cousins who come over and can't play for shit lol

Roo

Mushroom acceleration, contacts, 360 jumps, road textures, water, snow, weapons throwned, etc. All games who will do such things will feel organic, more immersive.

Road textures would be really cool.
Same for environment sensations.
Since they can replicate that, the feel when you touch water (for water sections) or when you place your hand in front of a high speed fan (for gliding sections) would be neat.

ryechu

A feature added to the game to allow players to stay on the track at all times and not drop off the track, have Lakitu pick you up and put you back on the track. It is probably for those that have trouble staying on the track in Mario Kart, mainly in 200cc.

you can still drive off the edge. its more like a driving assist. if you try to drive straight off the edge it will start turning but not unreasonably faster than the turning rate of your cart, meaning you will still fall off.

you can still drive off the edge. its more like a driving assist. if you try to drive straight off the edge it will start turning but not unreasonably faster than the turning rate of your cart, meaning you will still fall off.

Yeah, I edited my post. Thanks!

Top Bottom