• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

Robin64

Roll on Pikachu

Note: The above is absurd and not indicative of insider knowledge

Haha. That disclaimer.

(As an aside, you'll be pleased to know the Pokemon still don't work in Woolly World 3DS, despite a massive amount more having support now)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, I was trying to double-check to make sure that it's legit and I didn't figure that you would make a new thread since you posted it in old thread.

Nintendo Poland is not a rumor source :D

Of course, but I couldn't find any press kit that straightly came from Nintendo of Poland. I just want to make sure that it's legit. Since the information came from other sources.

TheMoon

Any news about a Wii U patch?

?

You're not getting this on Wii U

Yeah, I was trying to double-check to make sure that it's legit and I didn't figure that you would make a new thread since you posted it in old thread.

Of course, but I couldn't find any press kit that straightly came from Nintendo of Poland. I just want to make sure that it's legit. Since the information came from other sources.

Having the screenshots there is really all we needed.^^

A summer Isabelle amiibo actually came out after the winter one.

Oh? I thought it was the other way around. Too many miibers

13ruce

Banned
Oh, well that's a sha--

--wait, so MK8 does allow you to play with bots/NPCs? I'm assuming if MK8 did, then this will as well, even though the Battle Mode is (ahem) switched up.

Yes when i played the battle mode in wii u mk 8 together with my nephews and sister the remaining slots were filled by cpu's.

https://youtu.be/jZpGDavK7Hk this shows someone racing against the cpu in mk 8 wii u. You can make them harder/easier in the option menu.

If this option is back i hope you can turn them on or off dunno if that also could be done in the wii u version never looked at that.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Double Dash fanboy in me was ecstatic seeing the Shine icon, but logic and reasoning made me think it's probably Shine Runners, which isn't a bad mode in itself.

Now show us how many battle arenas there are!

13ruce

Banned
https://youtu.be/_247jZGq1fs

The treehouse crew also plays against CPU in the switch version, there are more then 4 racers in game when they play some of the battle modes.

So it should be possible to play singleplayer battle mode, would be strange if not.

Yes when i played the battle mode in wii u mk 8 together with my nephews and sister the remaining slots were filled by cpu's.

https://youtu.be/jZpGDavK7Hk this shows someone racing against the cpu in mk 8 wii u. You can make them harder/easier in the option menu.

If this option is back i hope you can turn them on or off dunno if that also could be done in the wii u version never looked at that.

Perfect, thank you!

Zero83

I may have to rebuy this game. Sucks that it's full-price

I really hope they come to their senses and lower the price. I mean, I own 95% of the contents already and I've played it to death.

Neoxon

It's so weird to see games still have Miis if Miiverse isn't gonna be a thing anymore.
The Miis have been around for longer & have taken on a life of their own beyond the Wii.

On-topic, I'm glad that Nintendo's going all-in with Battle Mode. My disappointment over no new race courses would be greater if it wasn't for this & the MK8 team being busy with ARMS.

Any news about a Wii U patch?
The Wii U is dead, they won't bother.

deleted

Oh shit, I hope there are options for each mode. I don't wanna battle with CPUs, I wanna have a total number of balloons without players respawning and ideally, I'd like to set the game to time or stock.

I never played the Wii U battle mode - could you do all that in there?

Strider

Sold my Wii U copy and battle mode + Handheld play will easily be worth the price differential for me... can't wait

Berordn

What's shine runners? I thought it was just shine thief with a different name.

If you've played Coin Runners in MKWii or MK7, it's basically the same thing but with Shines instead of coins.

If you haven't, the goal is to have as many Coins/Shines as you can before the match ends. In MKDS there was a limit of 9 Shines, but in the Coin Runners version there's a lot more on the field.

ASIS

If you've played Coin Runners in MKWii or MK7, it's basically the same thing but with Shines instead of coins.

If you haven't, the goal is to have as many Coins/Shines as you can before the match ends. In MKDS there was a limit of 9 Shines, but in the Coin Runners version there's a lot more on the field.

huh, thanks.

Sounds nice but also completely inferior to DD Shine thief.

Berordn

but will it be available on the wii u version? I feel like they it owe it after that half assed battle mode we got.

Why would it be? The original version got two DLC packs adding 16 new tracks to the game, unprecedented support for a Nintendo game up until that point.

The console is also officially dead and buried after March 3rd, giving them even less incentive.

Stopdoor

Lower placed players being eliminated periodically was pretty awesome though, I don't think Coin Runners is as punishing, but then less punishing is the trend for Battle Mode now.

GriffinCorp

Day 1 for me. 5 Battle modes is great, I wonder if Nintendo will add DLC down the road or just move to Mario Kart 9? I would be fine with them moving on, this will be plenty to hold me over. I'm so hyped for Switch.

Berordn

I have a feeling that the 4 arena's we've seen so far are all that we're getting. Would be happy to be wrong on this though.

They didn't even announce all the new features, so I wouldn't lose hope on that front just yet.

And to bring up an old point, the press info that explicitly stated 48 race tracks didn't put an upper limit on the number of battle courses.

Neoxon

Day 1 for me. 5 Battle modes is great, I wonder if Nintendo will add DLC down the road or just move to Mario Kart 9? I would be fine with them moving on, this will be plenty to hold me over. I'm so hyped for Switch.
If I recall, the Mario Kart 8 team is busy with ARMS at the moment.

TheMoon

I have a feeling that the 4 arena's we've seen so far are all that we're getting. Would be happy to be wrong on this though.

Nah, very unlikely.

bm11bes.jpg

http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Mode

MK8DX so far:
NEW:
Urchin Underpass
Battle Stadium

RETRO:
GCN: Luigi's Mansion
SNES: Battle Course 1

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious how many arenas there will be.
Still holding out hope for the definitely-not-happening Double Dash mode.

but will it be available on the wii u version? I feel like they it owe it after that half assed battle mode we got.

"owe" seems like an odd word choice. Nintendo didn't hide what was in MK8 before launch, and if someone didn't think the package deserved the asking price, sale prices, used copies, and not buying the game were options.

Regardless, unfortunately for Wii U players, there's very little chance the original game is getting a patch. It's the same as when remasters release and add new content: it's exceedingly rare that the new content is patched into the original, especially on consoles. For example, The Last of Us didn't get a photo mode or in-game commentary, despite launching only one year before TLOUR was released with those features.

I understand why people want this in the Wii U game now. However, in 2017, 3 years after the initial game's launch and with a new console they're trying to sell, it doesn't make business sense. Even as a paid DLC pack, it likely wouldn't do very well so many years later. I'm sure most of the Switch's first year library (if not everything that ever releases for the system) could have happened on Wii U but won't.

Malus

Damn 5 types huh? I'll give it a rent. Never bought the DLC tracks so that adds some value for me.

edit: Also I sold my copy of MK8 before 200cc hit, so that'll be interesting to say the least..

Top Bottom