• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

Dreavus

Shine Thief is really good. Played that quite a bit in double dash. Not sure if it holds up with 8 players, but with 4 on a small-ish course it's great.

And screw those that bought retail???
Not going to happen.
I bought it digitally by the way.
Seriously I would get screwed. Those who bought it digital aren't better than the people who bought it physical. If there's a way for them to see you have it physical, then they could do a discount for all Mario Kart 8 Wii U owners.

Berordn

Seriously I would get screwed. Those who bought it digital aren't better than the people who bought it physical. If there's a way for them to see you have it physical, then they could do a discount for all Mario Kart 8 Wii U owners.

DLC owners could be one way, but I don't recall if they ever made a disc containing the DLC.

Either way I'm not expecting it.

dvolovets

Maybe this is something that doesn't matter to most, but why is it not a big deal that since Double Dash (or Mario Kart DS, I don't remember) there hasn't been an option to have untimed matches? Is this still going to be the case here? All the videos I've seen have a timer...

Maybe this is something that doesn't matter to most, but why is it not a big deal that since Double Dash (or Mario Kart DS, I don't remember) there hasn't been an option to have untimed matches? Is this still going to be the case here? All the videos I've seen have a timer...
Well, for online, that'd be a problem.
For local multiplayer, there should be an option to turn off the timer.

Arkage

Banned
It leaves a bad taste in mouth buying another version of mario kart 8 to get a decent battle mode. It was my most played mode of previous mario karts.

Me too. MK8 was probably my post played Wii U game, but it's hard for me to justify shelling out another $60 for some battle mode DLC. This really isn't a value proposition for owners of the original.

MicH

Fuck, I may need to buy this after all. Battle mode seems to have a lot more to it than I expected, and the upgraded Mii costumes are amazing!

MicH

nothing got upgraded, they're all exactly the same. there's one new one.
I'm pretty sure only the helmet changed in the Wii U version, they weren't dull out costumes

EDIT Oh I'm actually wrong. They were full costumes on Wii U too

Yukinari

Wow whats this

Do you hear it

Is that Nintendo giving a fuck? We need to savor this moment. Only took multiple game entries but battle mode is finally alive.

hatchx

Banned
I wonder how they will handle the battle mode online. Will it be elimination style? (Probably not). Will splitting into 5 modes like that make it hard to find matches?

MUnited83

For you.
Im saying im glad that battle mode is fixed after not enjoying it in MK8, MK7 and MKW.

(Didnt hate it that much in MKW)

They should have fucking done this in the original MK8, not waited to introduce it on a new full price package. They treated MK8 Wii U pretty stupidly. This should have been part of the season pass for the Wii U version.

Yukinari

They should have fucking done this in the original MK8, not waited to introduce it on a new full price package. They treated MK8 Wii U pretty stupidly. This should have been part of the season pass for the Wii U version.

Yeah its still gonna be difficult to sell only a battle mode to people who played it on wii u. This game shouldnt cost 60 dollars.

Wereroku

This is one of the games I have missed since I didn't buy a WiiU. Glad to get to play more nintendo multiplayer games. Also battle mode is my favorite mode of mario kart.

Yeah its still gonna be difficult to sell only a battle mode to people who played it on wii u. This game shouldnt cost 60 dollars.

They are probably banking on selling it to people who never got a WiiU or are just hardcore nintendo fans.

TheMoon

Let me stop you right there while you're trying to pass off one of the best "season pass"-style deals in gaming as lacking by saying multiple new game modes including arenas should have been part of it on top of half a new game's worth of main content.

Can this be played online?

Why wouldn't it.

_woLf

This is awesome. I really hope the game gets more DLC on top of this. Another set of tracks and battle courses pleeeease.

I want Block Fort and/or Skyscraper SO BADLY

Berordn

I wonder how they will handle the battle mode online. Will it be elimination style? (Probably not). Will splitting into 5 modes like that make it hard to find matches?

You'll probably be able to browse communities like before for custom rules, and the regular online multiplayer mode probably just rotates between them like MKWii did.

MUnited83

For you.
Let me stop you right there while you're trying to pass off one of the best "season pass"-style deals in gaming as lacking by saying multiple new game modes including arenas should have been part of it on top of half a new game's worth of main content.

Why wouldn't it.

Hell, it should have been part of the main game to begin in, but it's pretty damn shitty they were not even part of the season pass. Way to leave the Wii U owners in the dust I guess. What a great company.

Neoxon

This is awesome. I really hope the game gets more DLC on top of this. Another set of tracks and battle courses pleeeease.

I feel like DLC/updates for ARMS may be a higher priority, but I'd love for both to get updates.

Hell, it should have been part of the main game to begin in, but it's pretty damn shitty they were not even part of the season pass. Way to leave the Wii U owners in the dust I guess. What a great company.
Now that's a concern troll if I ever saw one.

Also there was never a season pass it was two additional expansions of tracks and characters that you could buy together for like 12 dollars.

ryechu

they might be afraid of setting a standard too high for mk9.

atr0cious

I loved playing battle mode online in mk8, all the talk about "fixing" it are a little hyperbolic. Sure it didn't have arenas, but the maps were all tracks that had open areas if you wanted them. Plus the ghost mechanic worked great for when the last couple of players alive were on opposite sides of the track. They also added the uturn mechanic which changes how the game is played compared to CC races.

All this to say the deluxe version's price is little much to ask for a wii u owner, but since there's hardly ever a discount on their games, I'll probably be choking down the $60 at some point.

Top Bottom