• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

deleted

I mean, in VS racing you can change the rules before the races start and obviously you can set up custom race rooms online with access to the same rules selection

While it's entirely possible for Nintendo to be boneheaded enough to not allow the same freedom -- making it so once you select the mode you go straight to the character select screen -- it would be really strange because I'm pretty sure I remember at least previous MK battle modes (Wii mainly) allowing you to at least change the time limit.

So, assuming Nintendo isn't stupid the mode itself would be Balloon Battle but you would be taken to a rules selection screen where you could turn off CPUs, set a time limit (or not), set score or set it to Elimination/Survival, and set the item type (just like you can in VS races).

In fact, them NOT offering any options would fly completely in the face of how much they advertised the options you had for racing. Remember how much they talked about how you could change the items and so on for races? It would be really, really weird if the same options were not available for battle modes.

It's much more likely the main matchmaking for battle mode will just randomly choose one of the five modes.

However, that wouldn't mean you wouldn't be able to set up your own battle room like you can your own race room and set the mode you want it to be for people to find.

edit: hold on i'm a dumbass

Most of those options actually are there already in the Wii U battle mode, it's just pretty limited.
5yu71.jpg

Round Time for instance doesn't have an option to disable the time limit, just from 1-5 minutes. Of course they're not limited to these options in Deluxe, but there's precedent for not letting you customize much.

This has me so conflicted... With options it could be a fantastic new mode that is even more substantial for me than the original racing modes. Without or too little options I might not even buy the game again.

Yeah Mario kart hasn't done this in ages, which is awful. I'm skeptical this will be that good compared to DD

I don't get it. I imagine in playtest sessions people feel bored when they get knocked out and don't get to play, simply forced to watch the other two. But when you're playing locally and these are battles with people you know, it just makes it more intense and it's okay to lose control and adjust your focus towards watching your friends battle it out.

So I'd written off MK8D as a double-dip I couldn't justify at full price, but after playing some of the new Battle Mode, I think anybody who gives it a spin will be pleasantly surprised. For some reason this has hardly been talked about, but if the new Battle Stadium is any indication, the battle map design has been given the MK8 treatment: anti-gravity loops, bumpers, wide open spaces for you to zip around at full speed and chase or make a getaway like in a dogfight, but with the circuits short and interconnected enough that you will constantly encounter other drivers in all directions. The MK8D two-item inventory system is in, too (though unlike Double Dash, you can't swap the order). I assume what we've been shown of the battle courses (two new, two retro) is nowhere near the final count—I'd expect double that—and what I've seen so far is encouraging.

Jawmuncher

So the new PR statement said that all of the Animal Crossing line is supported. Which I find pretty odd. That's about 400 cards, I can't imagine all of them being costumes.

Should players wish to race in style, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes with a wide range of amiibo compatibility, including some Super Mario series and all the Animal Crossing series, while Splatoon series amiibo grant a new racing suit for Mii characters.
http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...all-ages-can-launch-off-the-grid-anytime-anyw

The AC UK compatibility page even lists all of the AC amiibos and cards as compatible in the game. Which is much different than just the one AC costume in the OP.

This is a bit weird if true, especiall when Daisy, Waluigi, and Boo. Actual Mario characters get nothing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the new PR statement said that all of the Animal Crossing line is supported. Which I find pretty odd. That's about 400 cards, I can't imagine all of them being costumes.

The AC UK compatibility page even lists all of the AC amiibos and cards as compatible in the game. Which is much different than just the one AC costume in the OP.

This is a bit weird if true, especiall when Daisy, Waluigi, and Boo. Actual Mario characters get nothing.

They all likely unlock the Animal Crossing costume (the one the Villager unlocked in the original).

Leatherface

Proper battle mode will put this over the top. Can't wait to double dip. I don't even care that I had the WiiU version. 😮

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know how unlocks in this game work? Does it follow the same system as Mario Kart 8 or did they unlock everything from the start because it's a port? If the former, were the DLC cups/characters/karts integrated into the unlock process?

Proper battle mode will put this over the top. Can't wait to double dip. I don't even care that I had the WiiU version. ��

Same. I bought the DLC but never got around to playing it, so a significant part of this package will actually be new to me. Personally, I like this game enough for it to easily be worth the rebuy. One of my favorite Nintendo aesthetics in 1080p will be wonderful.

TheMoon

Do we know how unlocks in this game work? Does it follow the same system as Mario Kart 8 or did they unlock everything from the start because it's a port? If the former, were the DLC cups/characters/karts integrated into the unlock process?

Same. I bought the DLC but never got around to playing it, so a significant part of this package will actually be new to me. Personally, I like this game enough for it to easily be worth the rebuy. One of my favorite Nintendo aesthetics in 1080p will be wonderful.

There simply are no unlocks aside from vehicle parts. All characters, modes (speed classes) are unlocked from the start.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
There simply are no unlocks aside from vehicle parts. All characters, modes (speed classes) are unlocked from the start.

This is personally disappointing, but I understand why they went with this. Oh well. Thanks for the response!

deleted

The 'Nintendo Minute' episode that was filmed at Pax East was just posted, and features extensive gameplay of all of the battle modes. I was in the audience for this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYeD1N_RRTc

This is a longshot, but did anyone aks about a stock mode without a time limit for classic battle mode?
With close to one month left and this being a relatively simple question, it's becoming a bit frustrating that no one has asked it yet.

TheMoon

This is a longshot, but did anyone aks about a stock mode without a time limit for classic battle mode?
With close to one month left and this being a relatively simple question, it's becoming a bit frustrating that no one has asked it yet.

You can see the setup menu. I think you can deduce from it that what you're looking for isn't in there.

deleted

You can see the setup menu. I think you can deduce from it that what you're looking for isn't in there.

Well, my last hope is that you can set 'infinite' as a time setting, that automatically sets the game to stock - even with 5 balloons it's better than not being in the game altogether.
The same way there's a setting to turn off CPU (hopefully) by setting it to 'none'...

I'm warming up to the shine mode though, I like what I'm seeing there.

Spy

It's pretty ridiculous that they won't give us the option to do this. Myself and those I play with only care about Battle Mode if you can play elimination without the time limit similar to Mario Kart 64.

I don't understand Nintendo's reluctance for things like this and feel it's because they dislike anything that makes their games moderately competitive; which is why they do things such as adding the car to Mario Party.

Having never played MK8 since neither I, nor anyone I know, had a Wii U makes this day one for me. I played MK On Wii feels like forever ago

Indelible

This is definitely a day one purchase for me, Mario Kart 8 is the best game in the series and this is the definitive version.

Top Bottom