• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is native 1080p 60fps 1-2 players, 1080p 30fps 3-4 players

Jazzem

Rather weird that Double Dash is still the only one to have 3-4 player splitscreen at 60fps.

Can't wait to see this at 1080p in any case :D

KAL2006

Banned
Your power estimates would go against what we've heard from other sources. I've also not heard anyone say the Switch version runs worse than Wii U. I've seen people say it doesn't run perfectly but that it's still better than Wii U. I'd wait to see what more sources say about Mario Kart and what a full analysis of Zelda Wii U vs. Switch shows.

Watch the GameSpot videos. There is a guy who says it looks worse

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I trust you when you say he does. I'm just saying that we've heard the opposite from other sources/websites, so we should probably wait for some websites to do thorough technical analysis with direct feed footage before conclusions about power are drawn. Because right now, it's just "he said, she said," which can't really be resolved.

Trojan X

Banned
So is everyone happy with the power of this machine so far in consideration of the price, it's competitors, and the fact it's 5 years later than the Wii U?

Shaanyboi

Banned
So is everyone happy with the power of this machine so far in consideration of the price, it's competitors, and the fact it's 5 years later than the Wii U?
It will play Nintendo games just fine. I'm not taking my PS4 on the go and the longest I have to travel anywhere is a 1.5 hour flight back to Calgary. My needs for this thing as a travel device are minimal.

I'm happy with a handheld that's more powerful than the Wii U. I'll be thrilled if it can scale Unreal Engine 4 games down well.

Floex

4mBLIL3.gif

😂 This needs more credit.

Xdrive05

What was the last MK to not drop to 30 FPS in 4P mode? Double Dash? I know Wii was 30fps in 4P.

I believe it was DD. I remember thinking they definitely made compromises, however, to make that happen. I think the models went lower poly and/or the textures went lower res. Something like that.

I'm a framerate freak myself, so I would rather have the same kind of compromises than going 30fps. But whatevs.

KHlover

Banned
DigitalFoundry says the TVs at these events were set up horribly, with lots of post-processing and horrible sharpening. Could very well be that it looks worse than the WiiU version...on those specific TVs. I'd wait for direct feed footage from a properly calibrated TV before paying too much attention to any claims. Switch version is native 1080p docked after all, DigitalFoundry confirmed that much at least.

13ruce

Banned

Yes Nintendo uses great graphical styles for their games the only thing i care about is being HD atleast because thats my minimum standard from new gaming machines.

I always wanted a Nintendo Console thats all in one i was considering that either the 3ds or Wii u was my last secondary ninty console. So i hope they keep the 1 machine for all Nintendo games thing. I won't mind it if they release a handheld SKU only if i can still play mah games on 1 SKU i am a happy Nintendo Fan.

-shadow-

I'm curious if dropping the internal render resolution to 720p to keep the 60fps was ever considered. Yes 1080p is great, but 60fps would've been preferable. But that's just me.

Berordn

I believe it was DD. I remember thinking they definitely made compromises, however, to make that happen. I think the models went lower poly and/or the textures went lower res. Something like that.

I'm a framerate freak myself, so I would rather have the same kind of compromises than going 30fps. But whatevs.

DD also removed certain aesthetic elements of the tracks, Once you were playing with four players all you really had left was road texture.

Man... that's pretty nice that it sticks with 60FPS for two players. Does that include portable mode?

Edit: I was able to find that handheld mode is 60FPS as well! Holy shit that's a day one purchase for me.

Even though I played Mario Kart 8 to death on Wii-U, I'm still ready to jump back in on Switch. Being able to bring it with me while travelling will be absolutely huge! Also: I'm absolutely in love with the box art.

Still holding out to see if they'll offer some kind of discount for Wii-U owners. I won't be bothered if they don't, but it would be a nice gesture.

Berordn

I played 4 player DD and that wasn't really the case. It looked fine.

You started losing out on things like the emblems floating on Rainbow Road once you got splitscreen.

Just road textures is a little extreme, but I actually didn't mind them doing it. I can't play MK8 with more than 2 players because of the halved framerate.

Hate to be a downer but I thought Switch games played on tabletop mode is downgraded to 720p and 1080p is only when your playing on the tv.

Awesome if tabletop is 1080p as well but I doubt it due to battery life.

Berordn

Hate to be a downer but I thought Switch games played on tabletop mode is downgraded to 720p and 1080p is only when your playing on the tv.

Awesome if tabletop is 1080p as well but I doubt it due to battery life.

Tabletop will never be more than 720p because the screen is 720p.

Man... that's pretty nice that it sticks with 60FPS for two players. Does that include portable mode?

Yes, it does. I played split screen on the portable mode and there were no performance issues what so ever.

Also, to those asking if this looks better/worse than the Wii u version: I played a lot of MK8 on the Wii U, and aside from the resolution bump, this new version didn't look any noticeably different.

Make of that what you will.

(I'm buying it btw)

The GameSpot guys pretty much thought everything ran worse (and when I say everything I mean MK8 and BOTW), which contradicts almost everyone else who played. I don't really trust them with this. They probably went into it looking for performance issues/improvements and ended up exaggerating the issues by accident or something.

Yes, it does. I played split screen on the portable mode and there were no performance issues what so ever.

Also, to those asking if this looks better/worse than the Wii u version: I played a lot of MK8 on the Wii U, and aside from the resolution bump, this new version didn't look any noticeably different.

Make of that what you will.

(I'm buying it btw)

Thank you kindly! I always thought the Wii-U version looked fantastic, so I'll be more than happy with the Switch port.

optimiss

DigitalFoundry says the TVs at these events were set up horribly, with lots of post-processing and horrible sharpening. Could very well be that it looks worse than the WiiU version...on those specific TVs. I'd wait for direct feed footage from a properly calibrated TV before paying too much attention to any claims. Switch version is native 1080p docked after all, DigitalFoundry confirmed that much at least.

Yeah, the TVs had the sharpening cranked up, which is always bad. Even so, MK8D was much better looking on Switch. That 1080p makes a big difference.

They cant win .. if the switch did 4 players at 1080 with shittier IQ and graphic quality to obtain 60 fps people would still complain.

People complain no matter what happens.. Take for instance Halo they got rid of coop and 4 player split screen and the game practically died.

How did you expect it to work, unless they were playing online?

Over LAN you would expect everyone gets their own dedicated video output. It's not one console for 4 people, it's 4 consoles for 4 people. Remember the old Halo LAN days? I expect it to work like that.

And it seems like it will, thankfully.

OneUh8

Not bad. I will mostly be playing it with only 2 players anyway. Doubt I will ever have more than 2 controllers for this system.

Alpha_eX

I'd take a resolution hit for a framerate increase, dropping down to 30fps with 3/4 people sucked hard, it was felt more because most of the time you're playing in and used to 60fps for this game.

Luschient

lol, have you been on GAF for the past week?

Personally I wanted from Nintendo the same thing I've wanted from them the last 2 gens...dedicated home console that's in line power-wise with the competition with a traditional controller. I think playing MK8 on the WiiU with the Pro controller is the closest I'll ever come to this dream.

I'm such a MarioKart mark that I'm sure I'll end up buying a Switch for MK9 whenever that comes out. I'm not seeing anything in this MK8 Deluxe edition that makes me want a Switch at launch though.

Wag

Well shucks

Was wondering about this in the original thread

Was hoping the switch could handle 4 player 1080p 60fps

On a Tegra, that never seemed likely. Performance will be the thing- if it's a consistent 30fps then that will probably be ok.

Would you also compare a 600 dollar phone to a 600 dollar gaming PC?

Idk if that analogy really holds up. Sure the Switch is mobile but are you saying for $600 you can get a top of the line mobile device and for $600 you get a crap home device?

Because it sounds like you want to argue that the mobile device will be less advanced at the same price, not more....?

Either way I think comparing the Switch to the current home consoles is totally justified.

The GameSpot guys pretty much thought everything ran worse (and when I say everything I mean MK8 and BOTW), which contradicts almost everyone else who played. I don't really trust them with this. They probably went into it looking for performance issues/improvements and ended up exaggerating the issues by accident or something.

I would not take impressions seriously, I also heard someone say Zelda had some framerate issues and then I read the DF article on Zelda.

Top Bottom