• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Reminds me of Mario Tennis Open where if your opponent had less points than you, you could actually lose points even if you won matches. Yep.

Probably because you needed to win with a big difference? I can't remember much of that game but I think you're not telling the full story.

zlCfzSXuy18nmJajAu

What an interesting thing about that character screen now—yoshis and shy guys are in the same row. Since they now have color customization, I hope the rest of the folks on that row will end up being the "color change" characters. Gimme those multicolored toads, koopas and lakitus, Nintendo!!

Foshy

Probably because you needed to win with a big difference? I can't remember much of that game but I think you're not telling the full story.

If they managed to score even some points, you'd lose some of your rating if theirs was low enough. Of course you wouldn't lose anything if you won without them getting any points in, but it's still pretty damn ridiculous.

It would be fine if you'd get less rating points for close game, sure. Maybe even none at all. But losing them? get the fuck out. I was 31° or something like that (in the skill based ladder), and at some point I just lost the motivation to play. Close games are the best ones, why should you get punished for them?

MilesTeg

Banned
According to the game I have like 1600 wins and 1300 losses. Not sure how this is calculated. Also I guess I've drifted over 17,000 times haha.

OmegaDL50

So the two packs are adding three new racers each.

I wonder if they made a 3rd and 4th add-on. I wonder if they would move the select screen slightly to the left to accommodate a row of 6 more racers.

4t9faK3.jpg

What an interesting thing about that character screen now—yoshis and shy guys are in the same row. Since they now have color customization, I hope the rest of the folks on that row will end up being the "color change" characters. Gimme those multicolored toads, koopas and lakitus, Nintendo!!

It would fit, I mean in the other Mario games there are Yellow and Blue Toads, so having other colors would fit, and there was Super Mario World with it's different colored shelled Koopas.

A future add-on with those additions could be possible.

I wonder if they made a 3rd and 4th add-on. I wonder if they would move the select screen slightly to the left to accommodate a row of 6 more racers.

4t9faK3.jpg

It does look like they can fit 6 more characters. We know they cant fit any more cups.

We still dont know how they'll handle amiibos. Now that we see theyve opened the gates to allow people like link and the villager, maybe there will be six amiibo figures to unlock extra characters?

How do you put the map on the tv?

Press "-" on the gamepad

edit: is it me, or does it seem like the item odds are lowered? I seem to get better items more consistently.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did the patch not improve online stability at all? Got an in-race communication error in my very first race after installing the update. Apparently, communication errors are still interpreted as ragequits, which I was hoping would be an obvious fix in the update. Nope, still lost 30 race rating in a single match due to the error. Ugh.

It does look like they can fit 6 more characters. We know they cant fit any more cups.

We still dont know how they'll handle amiibos. Now that we see theyve opened the gates to allow people like link and the villager, maybe there will be six amiibo figures to unlock extra characters?

Making room for more cups is just a matter of making the icons smaller.

I think it's very likely that characters like Diddy and Kirby will be unlocked through Amiibos.

Making room for more cups is just a matter of making the icons smaller.

I think it's very likely that characters like Diddy and Kirby will be unlocked through Amiibos.

True, but i think they may have planned ahead, and from the start knew how much space their total plans would take up.

That person who hacked the game only found four cups labeled DLC, and we're getting four cups.

Could easily be wrong.

edit: i also think we might get kirby. Going off that SSB tease, people got excited MK would allow characters outside the Mario universe, and now we see they are. So maybe that SSB tease was hinting at this.

Theory of mine, why this DLC is so cheap, is to make room in your wallet for amiibos.

Crom

Great update.

Hope they do an update soon that allows you to race against ghosts from your friends list. I can never do this. I tried everything

Great update.

Hope they do an update soon that allows you to race against ghosts from your friends list. I can never do this. I tried everything

You should see all you friends' ghosts when checking the rankings in Time Trials mode, provided they uploaded them with a Miiverse post. You can even get ghosts from people not in your friend list with the same system, you just have to follow them on Miiverse.

Crom

You should see all you friends' ghosts when checking the rankings in Time Trials mode, provided they uploaded them with a Miiverse post. You can even get ghosts from people not in your friend list with the same system, you just have to follow them on Miiverse.

It doesn't work for me. Thanks though. I uploaded my times and made Miiverse posts but my friend can't ever find my ghosts. Same thing when I try to find his.

The top 10 ghosts are displayed and then ghosts that have similar times. My friend's ghost never shows up on the list

WAIT.

You guys, does pre-purchasing the DLC unlock the Yoshi/Shy Guy skins now???

Also, does the stat tracking area have a Time Trials section? It's such a pain to have to go into each individual course to double check if I've beaten the ghost yet...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think that race point calculations might have been rebalanced in general. I'm getting fewer points for high placements and losing more points for low placements even when I'm not the highest-point racer in the lobby.

braves01

Banned
I think that race point calculations might have been rebalanced in general. I'm getting fewer points for high placements and losing more points for low placements even when I'm not the highest-point racer in the lobby.

I feel like such a piece of shit looking at my win/loss if that's what you're talking about...so I agree.

Platy

WAIT.

You guys, does pre-purchasing the DLC unlock the Yoshi/Shy Guy skins now???

Also, does the stat tracking area have a Time Trials section? It's such a pain to have to go into each individual course to double check if I've beaten the ghost yet...

YES !

Now !
NOW NOW !

True, but i think they may have planned ahead, and from the start knew how much space their total plans would take up.

That person who hacked the game only found four cups labeled DLC, and we're getting four cups.

Could easily be wrong.

edit: i also think we might get kirby. Going off that SSB tease, people got excited MK would allow characters outside the Mario universe, and now we see they are. So maybe that SSB tease was hinting at this.

Theory of mine, why this DLC is so cheap, is to make room in your wallet for amiibos.

If this does insanely well they might change their original plans, who knows. I'd love more cups.

Interesting theory! Maybe Kirby and Diddy will come with battle tracks.

Brizzo24

Just use a credit card and add the remainder. You don't have to add another 10 dollars if you do it that way.

This is why I (and everyone) hated the MS points system, and Wii's old point system. I find myself buying things more frequently now that I can enter the exact amount. Plus, the Nintendo Digital Deluxe promotion is how I got $5 off Shovel Knight. I've already earned enough points for another $5 coupon.

BuzzJive

link shouldnt be in that game :/
f-zero shouldnt be in that game

only the whole mario universe, but no other things... it certainly kills a few things for mario kart....

dont add too many different things in that game... its called for a reason mario kart and not super kart bros.

There are 7 essentially "pure" Mario Karts already. It's time. It's past time. The king is dead. Long live the king!

4t9faK3.jpg

It would fit, I mean in the other Mario games there are Yellow and Blue Toads, so having other colors would fit, and there was Super Mario World with it's different colored shelled Koopas.

I can totally seeing this happen, they could include Battle Mode maps for the other two possible packs. They could also use that widened character selection screen to put all of the Koopalings on a single row.

DizzyCrow

4t9faK3.jpg

Kirby
Zelda/Toon Link/Tetra
King Dedede/Meta Knight
Bowser Jr.
King Boo/E. Gadd
Roy/Boom Boom/Boomerang-Hammer-Fire Bro

Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by how slick the presentation is in the in-game store?

I hope that's a preview of what the eShop is going to become because it seems like a major improvement.

So... are they going to fix Time Trials and Battle Mode? On Wii, I could easily see and compete against my friends' time trials. Here, they have to specifically upload them.

Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by how slick the presentation is in the in-game store?

I hope that's a preview of what the eShop is going to become because it seems like a major improvement.

Do you have an image of it. I already bought the DLC in the eShop so I never got to see it. :(

Josh5890

Just imagine if nintendo added online and more stages to nintendo land

As awesome as that sounds, I think Nintendo is done with Nintendo Land. Aren't they done with packaging that game anymore? They wanted it to become the next Wii Sports but the masses refused it. There was potential with that game but Nintendo came up just a little short. I enjoyed it and pull it out once and a while with family and friends.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I kind of want a Zelda Racer now.

Make it like Diddy Kong Racing where there's a big adventure mode element to it.

Tanoooki

So is the inclusion of Link and AnCo characters an indication of Mario Kart being the "Smash Bros" of racing games?

I'm glad that they went with a Link who seems to be the Link of Link's Awakening and LTTP, his art style makes more fitting than a TP or SS Link.

bomma_man

So is the inclusion of Link and AnCo characters an indication of Mario Kart being the "Smash Bros" of racing games?

I'm glad that they went with a Link who seems to be the Link of Link's Awakening and LTTP, his art style makes more fitting than a TP or SS Link.

Bah? He looks exactly the same as SS link. They even use concept art from that game for the promos.

It's the "we added characters from other EAD games as bonus content" of racing games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I love the promotional screens that layer on top of the game as you cycle through them. I think the screens when you choose to purchase the stuff are powered by the Wii U OS actually. There's a lot of generic text and stuff in there that they'd have no need for if it was all Mario Kart UI. I think we'll see that exact same interface when purchasing DLC in future games (the 3DS has a similar flow these days). And I love it, it's super slick and responsive. Puts the competition to shame in that regard, I think. I was using the PS3 shop the other day, it was a nightmare.

rpmurphy

I'm really glad that the paid DLC isn't just nickel and diming characters/skins or karts. The bundles are cool and I'm looking forward to when they release.

web01

Did the patch not improve online stability at all? Got an in-race communication error in my very first race after installing the update. Apparently, communication errors are still interpreted as ragequits, which I was hoping would be an obvious fix in the update. Nope, still lost 30 race rating in a single match due to the error. Ugh.

No they didn't fix it at all.
People should be hammering them for the terrible network errors this game suffers months after release, if it was battlefield cod or any other game people would be calling for heads of the developers.

Top Bottom