• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Zia

The stats screen is going to haunt me:

"Wins: 634 Losses: 678"

That's unfair! It's random-ass Mario Kart. If I finish in the top five I'm usually happy.

Edit: Black Shy Guy looks pretty baller in the SL. Very cute. And actually, the only car that's 2gross4me is the GLA, which unfortunately is the reason this DLC exists. The classic cars are adorable.

Mory Dunz

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01oekfj.jpg

That's a really nice screenshot.

cacildo

Wait... did this update changed the last rainbow road race on lightning cup?

I could swear the last track at lightning cup was the "space station" rainbow road....

ciD_Vain

Wait... did this update changed the last rainbow road race on lightning cup?

I could swear the last track at lightning cup was the "space station" rainbow road....
It's always been like that. The bottom row of tracks are the retro tracks and the top row are the new tracks.

The new VR system has literally ruined online play.

I lost 30 VR for getting last in a room full of 10,000 VR players, and gained a whopping 3 points for getting 3rd. I went from 11,000 VR to 9970 in less than half an hour. Why did they have to change something that wasn't broken?

Cody_D165

Banned
Bought the DLC so hard the moment I woke up this morning. It also tipped me over the line for another DDP credit, so yay, free Mysterious Murasame Castle. Orange Yoshi master race. The wait is going to be excruciating, but hopefully when the November pack drops I'll be able to pry myself from Smash 3DS long enough to get some games in.

I lost 30 VR for getting last in a room full of 10,000 VR players, and gained a whopping 3 points for getting 3rd. I went from 11,000 VR to 9970 in less than half an hour. Why did they have to change something that wasn't broken?

At least points are more meaningful now, they're not just showing the amount of time you've played. Get better, Gonzo The Great.

Mlatador

Banned

At this rate it's gonna be impossible to reach 99.999 VR. I think it's best to not give a shit about VR anymore. I know some super crazy people will try it, but I don't think it's gonna be worth the efford.

Nyoro SF

At this rate it's gonna be impossible to reach 99.999 VR. I think it's best to not give a shit about VR anymore. I know some super crazy people will try it, but I don't think it's gonna be worth the efford.

Hold the phone you're asking people not to care about POINTS? Impossible sir, points are everything and I have to get more.

Can anyone tell me what the stats of the mercedes karts are? Or at least what karts they are equivalent to

GLA = Steel Driver / Badwagon / Tri-Speeder / Standard ATV
W 25 Silver Arrow = Pipe Frame / Standard Bike / Flame Rider / Varmint / Wild Wiggler
300 SL Roadster = Standard Kart / Cat Cruiser / Prancer / Sneeker / The Duke / Teddy Buggy

GLA Wheels = Standard / Blue Standard / Off-Road / Retro Off-Road

Can't play right now but what counts as a win/loss anyway? Do you lose if you're not in first place? Or top three? Or upper half?

As shown here, it is not clear at the moment, more testing has to be done. Past Mario Kart games used to have a system where you got 1 “win” for each player behind you and 1 “loss” for each player in front of you, but they've definitely changed the system in Mario Kart 8.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The stats screen is going to haunt me:

"Wins: 634 Losses: 678"

That's unfair! It's random-ass Mario Kart. If I finish in the top five I'm usually happy.

Edit: Black Shy Guy looks pretty baller in the SL. Very cute. And actually, the only car that's 2gross4me is the GLA, which unfortunately is the reason this DLC exists. The classic cars are adorable.

How is the win/loss score calculated anyway?

butalala

Do the new Mercedes karts work with all tires? Can anyone post pictures of them with the big monster truck-type wheels?

Bulzeeb

Looking at the character select grid we could maybe possibly see another 2-4 DLC packs!?. If each DLC has 3 new characters there's room for another 6 characters squares each side of the current character select grid. Maybe 4 DLC packs is asking a bit much but another 2 looks a possibility.

Begs the question which characters would you like to see, for me it would be.....

Birdo
Hammer Bro
Wart
Kamen
Dry Bones
Petey Piranha
Diddly Kong
Dixie Kong
Pit
Star Fox
Samus
Pikachu

Works out nice actually as there's 6 characters from the directly from the Mario universe and 6 that are not

Kirby is Next, the smash tease was real
rosalinasmash_610.jpg

Believe

Preordered the DLC, damn excited for it. Holy hell it's annoying they put the icons for the characters and cups on the menu. Especially when the second set is still about 9 months away.

Pre-ordered. (well, purchased both packs)

Tried the Mercs but didn't like them. Went back to the sports bike. Still can't get the 3 stars on the Lightning and Special cups mirror mode. I'd taken some time away from Mario Kart and my skills have diminished significantly in a short amount of time.

Gotta get practising.

M3d10n

This worries me for the sake of the Basic SKU owners; since the installation of all these update plus the 2 DLC packs needs at least 3 GB of storage (more than what it actually is), does that mean that Basic owners CANNOT play online in the future without having to buy a USB HDD?

When NXE came out for the 360 in 2008, MS gave those basic owners free memory cards if they needed them, or discounts on HDDs. I wonder if Nintendo would do the same...

Assuming everyone needs to download the DLC in order for online compatibility and whatnot.

While not ideal, a USB stick would suffice in a pinch. You could get a 8GB or a 16GB stick for cheap and it would be enough for game updates.

Excited to get home and play with the new colors/karts, but I'm expecting a horrible win/loss record as I pretty much only play online and get 3rd most of the time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is worse than I thought. How can I cope with seeing Isabelle's non-selectable visage till May?

M3d10n

The Luigi stare needs to be recreated with the Mercedes then it would truly be gangsta. I hope they make an update that allows one player to use the game pad as their TV and the second player to have the TV all to themselves.

That would most likely cause the game to drop to 30fps, since it would need to render quote more pixels than 2-player split screen.

Why are the DLCs so far away/apart? I might not even be alive in May.

New tracks are probably a bitch to balance. Also, this is more or less a Nintendo-branded Kickstarter.

Foshy

Reminds me of Mario Tennis Open where if your opponent had less points than you, you could actually lose points even if you won matches. Yep.

Top Bottom