• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mario Kart 8] In 200cc, firehopping was nerfed so hard it's not really relevant.

In the "fixes or features" thread a while back, this sort of thing was much requested. Well, there you go. Firehopping, an exploit where you hop left and right to go faster during a boost, is confirmed by many to be nerfed hard, though how hard is up for debate until we get some video analysis or something. But, it's generally agreed to be nerfed so hard it's pretty much useless in most scenarios.

The OT is kind of crowded and I know a lot of people wanted this so I thought it would be best to make a thread so everyone's on the same page. And yes, this has been tested by numerous people, me included. If need be I can post some other people who tested it, though just how hard it's nerfed beyond "most of the time it's useless" isn't quite known yet.

As for how centralizing firehopping was... Basically, if I firehopped near the end and you didn't, even if we both had boost items and you were a decent ways ahead, I'm probably gonna pass you. Now whenever I try that shit out of instinct I gain no distance and feel bad. Just gonna have to get used to it.

EDIT: 200cc only by the way.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
So this is just 200cc? I've only played a bit of it, but I don't think I'll miss it, given just how frantic and fast 200cc is anyway.

I don't even know what fire hopping is.

Its a technique to extend boost times significantly.

Yeah me neither.

Some context might be nice?
Gimme a moment to edit the OP

You basically just hop right and left during a boost to go faster. It does *not* extend boost times.
I don't get it, is it actually nerfed or just not viable in 200cc?
It does like nothing in most scenarios.

As in, it doesn't make you go faster most of the time.

hatchx

Banned
Fire hopping never gave players a significant advantage imo. I never really took advantage and I always faired pretty well. It wasn't like snaking or the MK7 water-jump glitch.

Glad to hear it's not relevant in 200cc, but who has time to hop in 200cc anyways?

miyuru

Fire hopping never gave players a significant advantage imo. I never really took advantage and I always faired pretty well. It wasn't like snaking or the MK7 water-jump glitch.

Glad to hear it's not relevant in 200cc, but who has time to hop in 200cc anyways?

Disagree, it's always been a clear advantage. If you took the same player's lap times on the same course they'd always be considerably faster with hopping from my impressions.

Neo Dark

It does like nothing in most scenarios.

As in, it doesn't make you go faster most of the time.

Yeah... But is the fix only for 200 cc? Your post makes it seem like all modes. Title says 200 cc. And 200 cc, I imagine it's only "patched" due to the extra air time and thus the hops aren't chaining properly to give you that extra boost

Yeah... But is the fix only for 200 cc? Your post makes it seem like all modes. Title says 200 cc. And 200 cc, I imagine it's only "patched" due to the extra air time and thus the hops aren't chaining properly to give you that extra boost
200cc only.

I don't quite agree with that theory since fire hops off trick boosts do seem to still work but they're pretty minor overall.

hatchx

Banned
Disagree, it's always been a clear advantage. If you took the same player's lap times on the same course they'd always be considerably faster with hopping from my impressions.

I think it probably affected time trials more than 12-player races. There's so many other factors to consider with weapon balancing, drifting, etc. It just never became a clear advantage in any race I was in, and I basically played MK8 solely online for 80+ hours.

Neo Dark

200cc only.

I don't quite agree with that theory since fire hops off trick boosts do seem to still work but they're pretty minor overall.
Ahh OK I see. And well that's why I said I think its only fixed because of the speed thus sometimes you get lucky and it works and sometimes you aren't and it doesn't.

I think it probably affected time trials more than 12-player races. There's so many other factors to consider with weapon balancing, drifting, etc. It just never became a clear advantage in any race I was in, and I basically played MK8 solely online for 80+ hours.
I've stolen plenty of positions at the end of races because I firehopped and the people ahead of me didn't. So it did affect races in that way.
Ahh OK I see. And well that's why I said I think its only fixed because of the speed thus sometimes you get lucky and it works and sometimes you aren't and it doesn't.
Oh, I agree that it's a side effect of something if that's what you mean.

hatchx

Banned
I've stolen plenty of positions at the end of races because I firehopped and the people ahead of me didn't. So it did affect races in that way.

Well I better start fire hopping I suppose.
Man_in_Suit_Smoking_Pipe.jpg

I mean, the hop will probably catapult you into an abyss so why bother.
LOL so true

A few minutes ago on Big Blue on 200cc I had a star and jumped at a specific point of the track to start a drift. That was enough to make poor Yoshi go WHEEEEEEEEE and jump waaaaay off the track. Imagine that with firehopping!

Mory Dunz

Oh, okay.

I haven't even been able to try it because the straight aways last for like a blink.
Still getting used to 200cc.

I enjoy it in 150 cc though. Kind of has a risk reward thing cause it throws you off track a bit.

Cipherr

Well I better start fire hopping I suppose.

Noone is going to be playing 150cc like that online in a week or twos time. So you may as well not bother now. It does nothing in 200cc so its pretty much dead outside of time trials and novelty 150cc races.

hatchx

Banned
Noone is going to be playing 150cc like that online in a week or twos time. So you may as well not bother now. It does nothing in 200cc so its pretty much dead outside of time trials and novelty 150cc races.

I still enjoy 150cc after experiencing 200cc. They are both totally different experiences. By no means is 200cc dead. It's the defacto mode with randoms online anyhow.

Kotaku has written a nice article about this. I recommend it for those of you out of the loop as to the situation (though the description of what firehopping actually is is a little bit off, they got the general concept of how to do it right).

I don't mind that it's largely gone either because 200cc is really fucking fast. Don't miss it because I'm too busy trying to take that one turn on Dragon Driftway without slowing down too much. :p

denshuu

Awesome. Firehopping was just an extra layer of tedium ontop of online races. I don't see myself going back down to 150cc anytime soon.

Acerac

Banned
Cool, perhaps now people will stop whining about it. I say this as somebody who uses nothing but bikes. :)

Top Bottom