• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: new update and DLC now available

L~A

There it is! Time to turn on your Wii U and update the game! Downloading right now, requires 247MB in Europe. 972MB for the DLC.

Official changelog not yet available, so here's what 4Gamer.net said about the update last week:

– update required to download the second DLC pack
– 9 new Mii suits added: Wario, Pac-Man, Olimar, Bowser, Sonic, Toad, Villager, Rosalina and Mega Man
– 200cc class added, may need to be unlocked (Grand Prix: 150cc completed with gold trophy at least)
– added sparks effect when braking in 200cc class
– added braking on the Wii Remote by pressing the B, 1 and 2 buttons at the same time
– added ability to add CPU players for Online custom rules (only human players will be counted for scoring)
– press Minus to display the map on the TV screen with the Pro Controller, Classic Controller, Wii Remote + Nunchuk
– on the Animal Crossing circuit, seasons are not random when you play Time Attack (you only have Summer)
– 10 new stamps for Miiverse
– various bug fixes

slightly dissapointing, the 10 new Miiverse stamps are just all unlocked from the beginning.

(Link, Isabelle, Animal Crossing tree, F-Zero logo, Bowser Clown jack-in-the-box, Hylian symbol, Animal Crossing house, Blue Falcon, Kung-Fu Lakitu, and the Neo Bowser City logo)

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to up my points to play 200 cc? If I do I won't go back to online.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to up my points to play 200 cc? If I do I won't go back to online.

It doesn't seem 200cc will be an online mode, at least not unless you're playing with friends.
To play it offline, apparently you need to have cleared all the grand prix cups (excluding DLC ones) with at least gold on 50, 100, 150 and Mirror. I'm not sure whether you can still do 200cc in VS mode without doing this, but you could do 100, 150, and mirror in VS without unlocking them (IIRC), so you should be able to here.

wyk126

Neo Member
Can any one who already updated let me know that did nintendo fix the 60/59 fps issue in the latest update please?

Thanks

Banned
It's showing as being on the eshop, but not showing up in the game, nor are there any update prompts. Weird.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't seem 200cc will be an online mode, at least not unless you're playing with friends.
To play it offline, apparently you need to have cleared all the grand prix cups (excluding DLC ones) with at least gold on 50, 100, 150 and Mirror. I'm not sure whether you can still do 200cc in VS mode without doing this, but you could do 100, 150, and mirror in VS without unlocking them (IIRC), so you should be able to here.

Welp, that sucks. Guess I won't be going back to MK8 then.

TheMoon

Can any one who already updated let me know that did nintendo fix the 60/59 fps issue in the latest update please?

Thanks

You should ask that again in a few days once people have had time to actually play this^^

Especially since those who would notice are rare anyway. Or those with the equipment to check.

Wasn't that fixed in the last one?

That's what I heard too.

Robin64

Was still seeing the 59fps judder offline as of 3.0.

It's pretty easy to see once you know it's there, annoyingly.

Bahlor

Damn it! Still around 7 hours left until I get home... :( I'm so hyped for this and bots in online matches seems awesome when playing with friends. Me and my girlfriend like to make matches versus another couple. That's a neat addition. I'm just not sure about breaking on the wii remote, that seems hard to push b,1 and 2.

luffeN

No, you need all cups in 150cc with gold trophy.

What? I can't just select 200cc? Damn. I just read about mirror mode, when should it pop up? IGN says "In Mario Kart 8, you must get a Gold Trophy on all 8 Grand Prix races to unlock Mirror Mode". Does it matter which cc?

Robin64

Judder is still there. Very easy to see when going round corners and the screen is moving horizontally.

wyk126

Neo Member
You should ask that again in a few days once people have had time to actually play this^^

Especially since those who would notice are rare anyway. Or those with the equipment to check.

That's what I heard too.

No, it was not fixed in version 3.0 I will check tonight when I back from work, just another 8hours to go...

wyk126

Neo Member
Judder is still there. Very easy to see when going round corners and the screen is moving horizontally.

Well... That's upset to hear, anyways, got new course, character to play !! Also I imagine 200cc will make the judder less to see as its too damn fast!

jariw

What? I can't just select 200cc? Damn. I just read about mirror mode, when should it pop up? IGN says "In Mario Kart 8, you must get a Gold Trophy on all 8 Grand Prix races to unlock Mirror Mode". Does it matter which cc?

Same unlock for both mirror mode and 200cc. You need to get the trophies on 50/100/150cc.

sonto340

Is it automatically unlocked in WW, or do I need to unlock it?
I would imagine you'd have to have it unlocked in single player first. I finished single player a long time ago, so I'm not sure, and online is down anyway right now. Sure someone will chime in when maintainence is over.

jariw

How do you know? Nintendo never announced that the 150cc for online would appear at races with averages above 3000VR, players found out. Has anyone played the new update online with a 10000+ VR average group yet to see what happens and if it enables 200cc?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I would imagine you'd have to have it unlocked in single player first. I finished single player a long time ago, so I'm not sure, and online is down anyway right now. Sure someone will chime in when maintainence is over.

I have everything beat as well. I really don't wanna grind my points up though for online matches like for 150CC.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If I get three stars in 200cc, will I again get all three stars for all "lower" modes? Including Mirror? Or will I now need to play 150cc, Mirror and 200cc to get three stars everywhere?

Robin64

If I get three stars in 200cc, will I again get all three stars for all "lower" modes? Including Mirror? Or will I now need to play 150cc, Mirror and 200cc to get three stars everywhere?

It's not downward awarding, you need to race them all.

Malus

So wait, 200cc won't be available to play with random people online ...?

What the hell Nintendo ?!

Well the way they handle online you'd be stuck on 200cc forever or unless you fell below a points threshold. They should've just make the different difficulty levels available as options.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's not downward awarding, you need to race them all.

Good that it is not downward awarding to Mirror, but not downard awarding to 150cc is strange and annoying, I don't want to drive slowly anymore :(.

Robin64

slightly dissapointing, the 10 new Miiverse stamps are just all unlocked from the beginning.

(Link, Isabelle, Animal Crossing tree, F-Zero logo, Bowser Clown jack-in-the-box, Hylian symbol, Animal Crossing house, Blue Falcon, Kung-Fu Lakitu, and the Neo Bowser City logo)

Top Bottom