• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

pvpness

Out of curiosity, what good does the mini-map do for you guys? I see a lot of people suggesting it be on screen... But I don't know why.

I've only ever looked at the mini-map after I've finished. I don't feel like I need to know who's in 9th, or exactly who is in front of me. Is there something I'm missing here?

yes, why do they have helmets? No other racers always have helmets on.

Hey lets make the user, who spent a long time designing the look of that character, and throw a helmet on top of all that. From the back, they all look the same.

Probably because creating the wind animations for the dozens of Mii hairstyles was not deemed as a worthwhile time investment

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Out of curiosity, what good does the mini-map do for you guys? I see a lot of people suggesting it be on screen... But I don't know why.

I've only ever looked at the mini-map after I've finished. I don't feel like I need to know who's in 9th, or exactly who is in front of me. Is there something I'm missing here?

Knowing how far behind someone is and what item they have is a huge help.

I don't really use it ever, but when I've played multiplayer with friends they all complained about it at first. Obviously they adapted, but it'd be nice to have the option for them just so they could see where they're going and where the others are more easily.

xandaca

No. Why punish the better player by giving them something that leaves them defenseless?

Because the player in first already has a huge advantage in that they have no-one using items in front of them (no risk of hitting reverse-fired shells, getting hit by a Piranha Plant as they try to overtake, etc) and the player behind them generally only receives weak items. It's much easier for the player in first to open up space between them and the pack than it is for other players to catch up, not least because your chances of receiving a red shell, fire flower or another useful offensive item seem noticeably increased in 3rd or below. Blue shells and, to a much lesser extent, lightning aside, a player in 1st would be almost impossible to peg back if they kept receiving defensive items. A coin requires the player in 1st to use skill to avoid shells and hold onto their lead, while giving a small boost in acceleration to help you get back up to speed if you do get hit.

That could be a good one! Or maybe just no generation to heavies, but yes to other lights.
Yeah I hate being slipstreamed by heavies and then getting pushed off the road. :mad: I mean they're already faster.

How about you can only generate slipstream to your own weight class and below?

pvpness

I don't really use it ever, but when I've played multiplayer with friends they all complained about it at first. Obviously they adapted, but it'd be nice to have the option for them just so they could see where they're going and where the others are more easily.

I'm always pro-options. If people want it, seems like they should be able to customize it to their liking. But this,

Knowing how far behind someone is and what item they have is a huge help.

I don't get. If you know the guy behind you has a red shell, how does that information benefit you? Either you have an item to protect yourself, or you don't. As far as position, I guess when I race I don't really consider the other racers. It's me vs the track, so I just always assume they're right behind me and if I make a mistake it will cost me.

If there's a strategy I'm missing, I'd really like to understand it.

Nyoro SF

If you're 1st or close to 1st you can judge the distance between you and the next person and plan accordingly.

You can also do this to get an idea if someone ahead of you or behind you got stuck. It's basically needed for item and risk management.

It's also not fair for splitscreen that only the Gamepad can see items from other players and the map too.

EDIT: Example. I'm in 1st place and I just passed an item box. I'm holding onto a banana for defense. However the 2nd place person who went through the item box only picked up a worthless coin. Because of that, now I can use my banana as a weapon or as a trap without having to worry about repercussions.

EDIT 2: Example. I'm in 2nd and I'm falling behind, it's the last lap. I have the option of taking some risky moves like cutting extremely close to corners or avoiding an item box in favor of a better angle. By keeping an eye on the minimap, I can see that 1st place either got hit by a stray item or got stuck or made a mistake judging by his icon. Now that he messed up, I no longer have to take a track risk.

niunhuiio

About that map, I absolutely agree, but I think it should be activated while holding down a button, like in GTA V. I like how the HUD looks like. I play with the Pro Controller and I use the GamePad as a second screen to quickly see who has what items and to see the big map so this doesn't affect me much in the end.

Because the player in first already has a huge advantage in that they have no-one using items in front of them (no risk of hitting reverse-fired shells, getting hit by a Piranha Plant as they try to overtake, etc) and the player behind them generally only receives weak items. It's much easier for the player in first to open up space between them and the pack than it is for other players to catch up, not least because your chances of receiving a red shell, fire flower or another useful offensive item seem noticeably increased in 3rd or below. Blue shells and, to a much lesser extent, lightning aside, a player in 1st would be almost impossible to peg back if they kept receiving defensive items. A coin requires the player in 1st to use skill to avoid shells and hold onto their lead, while giving a small boost in acceleration to help you get back up to speed if you do get hit.

It is literally impossible to avoid a Red Shell if you have no defense item. This is what the Blue Shell is for. It should be buffed so that it can actually be useful for taking out the player in 1st, while still allowing them a chance to potentially expand their lead before it strikes. Getting nothing but coins in 1st while the dude behind you gets Triple Red Shells is inexcusable, honestly.

You should be rewarded for being a skilled player. Not punished.

majik13

Probably because creating the wind animations for the dozens of Mii hairstyles was not deemed as a worthwhile time investment

maybe, but it really couldnt have been too difficult, basically just vibrating clumps of hair. And there are only so many hairsyles. But if I had to choose though, Id rather have static hair than helmets. But whatever.

pvpness

If you're 1st or close to 1st you can judge the distance between you and the next person and plan accordingly.

You can also do this to get an idea if someone ahead of you or behind you got stuck. It's basically needed for item management.

It's also not fair for splitscreen that only the Gamepad can see items from other players and the map too.

EDIT: Example. I'm in 1st place and I just passed an item box. I'm holding onto a banana for defense. However the 2nd place person who went through the item box only picked up a worthless coin. Because of that, now I can use my banana as a weapon or as a trap without having to worry about repercussions.

Could you elaborate a bit on, "plan accordingly" and, "item management" for me?

I'm in first quite a bit and my only plan is to stay there by being a better racer and making no mistakes. As far as item management for me when I'm in first is just place item behind me until it's destroyed and then hopefully repeat until I win.

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to figure it out.

Your edit makes things more clear I guess. I just have a different style I think. Those risks you're talking about (close corners, etc) are just the race to me. I always take them, even if they're "unnecessary" because of my lead/deficit. Thanks!

Random number generator.

Basically the probability of things happening, like item distribution.

Part of what's ailing the game right now is too much randomness. The item selection is supposed to feel random but the game has always metered out certain items to certain positions in the race. Now I've been in races where I've gotten triple reds while in 1st and everyone has experienced getting a coin while in last.

Lag could be a big part of this problem (and explain the weird endless spinning item wheel bug) making the game unable to accurately tell which positions racers are in but it feels like the entire system is just broken.

I'd love the option to permanently enable rear view mirror on the Game Pad screen. That way you could glance down at your rear view at any time without pressing a button. It would give a disadvantage to people playing with another controller, but on the other hand, screw 'em. This is the exact sort of thing the Game Pad was made for: asynchronous information. Main action on your TV and supplementary action on the Game Pad.

Besides that, don't fix anything besides that lobby bug. People complaining about drop rates are really splitting hairs. You should get coins often in the first two positions to increase your speed. That's the reward for being front of the pack. MK8 compensates for that by lowering the drop rate of blue shells/lightning bolts and increasing recovery time (from spinning out or when Lakitu gets you). In regards to the coins, I find that I get defensive options at least as often as coins when I'm at or near the front. So I don't see the issue here. The item system is damn near perfect, or at least close enough.

Uh what?

You don't see how being able to glance at the relative distance of who is in front of you or who is behind you is useful? Maybe I want to know how far ahead the person in 1st is until I catch up? Maybe I want to know how close people behind me are to catching up, if I'm in any danger of being passed or hit?

I don't get. If you know the guy behind you has a red shell, how does that information benefit you? Either you have an item to protect yourself, or you don't. As far as position, I guess when I race I don't really consider the other racers. It's me vs the track, so I just always assume they're right behind me and if I make a mistake it will cost me.

If there's a strategy I'm missing, I'd really like to understand it.
Uh, what x2?

This is an item based kart racer where no matter how good you are, random items could cost you the race. Potentially. That is why if you are armed with proper information, you can better strategize on the fly with your own decisions and item use.

Say you catch someone with a lighting bolt on the list. If you happen to have a star on you, you might want to save using it for when you are about to jump or fly, to shield you from lighting striking and killing you mid jump/flight.

Or say you catch someone with a blue shell, you can anticipate the attack accordingly, and potentially save the blue shell disrupter if you receive it. It's a great quick glance at the current battlefield that is Mario Kart.

This isn't some racing sim where it's just "you and the track" unfortunately. There are an array of items waiting to fuck you up, and the best thing to have is that information at a glance to prepare on the fly.

Nyoro SF

Could you elaborate a bit on, "plan accordingly" and, "item management" for me?

I'm in first quite a bit and my only plan is to stay there by being a better racer and making no mistakes. As far as item management for me when I'm in first is just place item behind me until it's destroyed and then hopefully repeat until I win.

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to figure it out.

Your edit makes things more clear I guess. I just have a different style I think. Those risks you're talking about (close corners, etc) are just the race to me. I always take them, even if they're "unnecessary" because of my lead/deficit. Thanks!

You can do that and just hold onto the item for a while (just pure defense), but as most MK veterans know widening the gap between you and 2nd place is really big deal. If you can kick the 2nd place guy back into the "swarm" pack of 3rd-9th place, you can get a MASSIVE lead while they fight amongst themselves. This is especially important if you're looking out for the Blue Shell and trying to mitigate its knockdown time.

Being the better racer is very important but items and mitigating their effectiveness against you is a big deal in MK.

Such as taking the risk for angles, here's another somewhat common example. You picked up a single mushroom and are going to try to cover more distance by boosting across grass. However, doing so means you'll be missing an item box. So what do you do? Well if you look at the minimap and realize you can take 1st back by going across grass with the shroom, it's definitely better to go for it. But if you're still pretty far from 1st and need to take a gamble to get Trip Reds, then you should boost into the item boxes instead.

pvpness

Uh what?

You don't see how being able to glance at the relative distance of who is in front of you or who is behind you is useful? Maybe I want to know how far ahead the person in 1st is until I catch up? Maybe I want to know how close people behind me are to catching up, if I'm in any danger of being passed or hit?

Uh, what x2?

This is an item based kart racer where no matter how good you are, random items could cost you the race. Potentially. That is why if you are armed with proper information, you can better strategize on the fly with your own decisions and item use.

Say you catch someone with a lighting bolt on the list. If you happen to have a star on you, you might want to save using it for when you are about to jump or fly, to shield you from lighting striking and killing you mid jump/flight.

Or say you catch someone with a blue shell, you can anticipate the attack accordingly, and potentially save the blue shell disrupter if you receive it. It's a great quick glance at the current battlefield that is Mario Kart.

This isn't some racing sim where it's just "you and the track" unfortunately. There are an array of items waiting to fuck you up, and the best thing to have is that information at a glance to prepare on the fly.

I get what you're saying, it just doesn't work that way for me. I'll know how far ahead someone is when I catch them. Same as I'll see the danger of being passed as they pass me. If I don't catch up, that's my fault. If I get passed, also my fault. The randomness that is Mario Kart doesn't mean I should focus on the other racers, it means that I should continually work on my lap times to get faster and faster to reduce the likelihood that a series of attacks will completely take me out of the race.

That's a good idea for the star! I don't ever get them though and when I'm in first and I get the horn, I hang onto it until I have to use it to defend myself. Knowing that someone has a blue shell doesn't alter my strategy at all.

Edit: never really thought about it this way, but I'm all defense in Mario Kart. I hardly ever get offensive items, and will use anything I can to defend my rear. Your strategies are interesting though and I appreciate the explanation(s).

Edit2: in your example Nyoro, I do whatever feels right, if that makes sense. That being said, I'm cutting the grass 90 percent of the time in that situation.

Great suggestions! The "next" option after races instead of defaulting to the reviews would be great. I've suggested the same thing, although I can understand that some people may press A too fast and would miss watching the replay... but in the same sense, they can go back and watch it on MKTV.

clav

Give us the option to automatically mute the game when you boot it up and the horrible voice yells "Mario Kart 8!" I'm not sure if I've ever heard anything more grating.

Passive aggressive feature. Mario Kart 8, not 2 or 3. Even Mario has had enough karting.

This isn't true, I've done it dozens of times. Curbs, ramps, and assorted edges are your friend here.

This is excruciatingly rare for me. They seem to have absolutely perfect detection of where you are and almost never hit anything on their way to me. Guess I'm just unlucky. :|

...I still think they should be dumbed down.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
In Single Player Mode:

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.
Against.

I often tend to spam the A button to cut after-race transitions/ranking screens short, and that often results in me accidentally pressing the first thing on the post-game menu, without me meaning to actually go to next race. The 'view highlight reel' menu, on the other hand, has the 'next race' as first. So you can get to next race in two button presses, whereas you can accidentally skip the reel menu without a chance to go back. Ever.

Christine

This is excruciatingly rare for me. They seem to have absolutely perfect detection of where you are and almost never hit anything on their way to me. Guess I'm just unlucky. :|

...I still think they should be dumbed down.

They feel easier to shake or lead into walls than in other recent MKs. They definitely seem to fall faster than in MK7, a little distance or boost will often save you from being hit as a glider whereas in 7 they'd just chase you forever.

xandaca

It is literally impossible to avoid a Red Shell if you have no defense item. This is what the Blue Shell is for. It should be buffed so that it can actually be useful for taking out the player in 1st, while still allowing them a chance to potentially expand their lead before it strikes. Getting nothing but coins in 1st while the dude behind you gets Triple Red Shells is inexcusable, honestly.

You should be rewarded for being a skilled player. Not punished.

It is far from impossible to avoid a red shell without a defensive item. Get a track object or obstacle between yourself and the shell, take corners sharply enough and sometimes shells will hit the wall. There are places where you can't avoid them (straights and flying sections mostly) but intelligent play in the right circumstances can certainly give you an edge. The heavily reduced number of blue shells in play needs to be counteracted and the coin is a nice way of doing that while giving the 1st placed player a tiny amount of help to supplement existing skills. Regardless, if you want to win games purely out of skill, play a serious racing game or in one of the no-item tournaments. No-one plays them though, because the chance element is part of what makes Mario Kart fun.

pvpness

They feel easier to shake or lead into walls than in other recent MKs. They definitely seem to fall faster than in MK7, a little distance or boost will often save you from being hit as a glider whereas in 7 they'd just chase you forever.

Agreed. This has got to be the easiest mk yet in regards to dragging incoming items into walls/set pieces/etc. Not that I'm complaining.

Edit: not only that, but boosting out of the blue shell explosion is something I'd never done with consistency until mk 8.

octopiggy

Against.

I often tend to spam the A button to cut after-race transitions/ranking screens short, and that often results in me accidentally pressing the first thing on the post-game menu, without me meaning to actually go to next race. The 'view highlight reel' menu, on the other hand, has the 'next race' as first. So you can get to next race in two button presses, whereas you can accidentally skip the reel menu without a chance to go back. Ever.

Agreed. It wasn't a mistake, this is obviously what they had in mind when they put 'next race' as the second option. Also, it's too late to change it now. I'm so used to pressing down then A that I will just end up selecting the wrong option anyway.

Janus67

Neo Member
Battlemode courses.

Higher chance of getting a horn in first place

Less rubberbanding on the last lap in 150CC

Show the times at the end of a race that isn't time trials. I want to know if I beat the next guy by .001 or 10 seconds. I don't see why that isn't included yet was back in the SNES days...

I don't mind the red shells in this game, they are easier to fool than in past games, but the triple reds in the hands of someone that knows how to use them are murder even with a defense item. I've been left immobilized long enough for the entire pack to pass me with 3 well timed red shells.

Christine

So you can get to next race in two button presses, whereas you can accidentally skip the reel menu without a chance to go back. Ever.

Well, the last 12 replays get stored as recent in MKTV so it's not quite like you can't ever go back to it but it's nowhere near as convenient as just continuing to spam 'A' to get to the next race.

El Odio

Banned
Why are people saying that red shells are easier to fool in this game? I played plenty of MKW to remember that red shells in that game typically took hard turns making it easier for them to hit walls unlike here where they pretty much stay in the middle of the track until they can home in on their target. The fact that they can follow you up ramps now is also pretty bad.

Against.

Then stop spamming the button? You mentally know you want to view the highlight reel, so you should stop yourself from doing an action built for "get me to the next thing now!!" The default action in a cup menu should be "next race" not "optional half baked highlight reel".
I get what you're saying, it just doesn't work that way for me. I'll know how far ahead someone is when I catch them. Same as I'll see the danger of being passed as they pass me. If I don't catch up, that's my fault. If I get passed, also my fault. The randomness that is Mario Kart doesn't mean I should focus on the other racers, it means that I should continually work on my lap times to get faster and faster to reduce the likelihood that a series of attacks will completely take me out of the race.

That's a good idea for the star! I don't ever get them though and when I'm in first and I get the horn, I hang onto it until I have to use it to defend myself. Knowing that someone has a blue shell doesn't alter my strategy at all.

Edit: never really thought about it this way, but I'm all defense in Mario Kart. I hardly ever get offensive items, and will use anything I can to defend my rear. Your strategies are interesting though and I appreciate the explanation(s).

Edit2: in your example Nyoro, I do whatever feels right, if that makes sense. That being said, I'm cutting the grass 90 percent of the time in that situation.
I think the conclusion I'm drawing here is that you're just really really good :)

I think you just need to put yourself in the shoes of those of beginner to intermediate skill levels where that kind of "at a glance" information is especially critical. Doubly so when you're fighting amongst the pack. And overall, just offering flexibility with different styles and approaches to racing and planning.

majik13

Why are people saying that red shells are easier to fool in this game? I played plenty of MKW to remember that red shells in that game typically took hard turns making it easier for them to hit walls unlike here where they pretty much stay in the middle of the track until they can home in on their target. The fact that they can follow you up ramps now is also pretty bad.

Ive seen plenty of red shells miss ther targets in this game, especially this game. they seem to be slower in 8 than in any previous version. Pretty sure I have seen one just die out on its own, possibly on a timer,? as a kart was out running it.

In MK7 they followed you everywhere, in the air and underwater. In MK8 if you're not on the ground they usually won't lock onto you. Although for all we know that's just yet another bug :/

I have noticed that they no longer go after people with stars activated. In MK7 you could waste red shells this way but in MK8 they bypass the stared racer and go to the next person in line.

Roo

My only real complains about the game are

-Collision detection is broken
-Item distribution is a hit or miss thing. Overall I think it's well balanced but getting ONLY coins during entire races is bullshit.
-Netcode is just well... terrible.
-Underwhelming roster
-The lack of map on screen is also a major flaw.

As a personal comment, I miss the fact that the game doesn't have user settings (favorite character, track, tricks, hits given/received, etc) Heck, we don't even know how many coins we have.

They were truly mindless in MKW. Occasionally during a (mostly) straight path, my reds would just immediately curve to the nearest corner before an oncoming turn and break.

But really, I honestly don't get what you guys mean when you say they're easier to break. I've tried multiple times to tighten my drift against a wall to break them, but they seem to take wide enough turns so that it doesn't work. The only times I've seen reds break is when they're thrown near a physical object and don't move out of the way fast enough (the plane tires on Sunshine Airport for example), or some fool spams all three of their triples causing two of them to clash into each other.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Against.

"Ever?"

If you go to MKTV in the main menu it has your last 12 races, so you can comfortably finish your GP and then go back if you want to check a highlight reel. It's not like they are gone forever right away (unless you are crazy and playing a 16/32 race VS match).

Zemm

There needs to be a way to see if and how many are playing in a tournament. It's impossible to tell if anyone is playing in the gaf tournament without going in and out a few times.

There needs to be a way to see if and how many are playing in a tournament. It's impossible to tell if anyone is playing in the gaf tournament without going in and out a few times.

MK7 at least showed you how many groups are playing so you could get a rough idea. MK8... not even that.

And while we're on a similar subject we can talk about how the change to their servers to help with the voting bug is causing the new shrinking room problem in community tournaments and WW. Since they turned off the ability to wait and spectate on full rooms if a room reaches 12 racers a new room gets created. The problem is now any new people who join the tournament are now dumped into the new room only and the original room slowly shrinks to nothing. This happens in WW as well since the change and it's really annoying to have to constantly leave and rejoin to stay in a full room.

pvpness

I think you just need to put yourself in the shoes of those of beginner to intermediate skill levels where that kind of "at a glance" information is especially critical. Doubly so when you're fighting amongst the pack. And overall, just offering flexibility with different styles and approaches to racing and planning.

Yeah, been playing MK since the first one but I've never bothered looking up other people's strategies or anything. The mini-map thing just stood out to me cause I was hyped it was gone, leaving the screen looking sexy in all the corners. Lol. Pretty interesting though, gonna study my friends now and really figure out how they're playing.

Regiruler

- Switch View Highlight and Next Race
- Fix the Acceleration stat
- Remove fire hopping
- Balance weight and knockback
- Give different stats to vehicle parts that have the same stats
- Decrease appearance rate of Coins
- Options menu
- No slipstream generation by lightweights
- Make it so Random isn't one if the 3 available choices
- Make it so Toad's Turnpike, Dry Dry Desert and Sherbert Land are never the 3 course options at the same time.
-
Delete heavy weight characters
HD has no taste confirmed

EDIT: On the minimap, I feel that there is more tension if you have to look away from the main screen to view it. I like the current setup.

Top Bottom