• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Review thread

JordanKZ

You always expect to see great reviews for Mario Kart games... But it seems Nintendo have outdone themselves this time. So hyped!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No in-race voice chat killed this for me, but it looks awesome regardless. I hope it does well and that everyone else enjoys it.

Lookin' gooooood. Lotta 9's, genuinely surprised. Can't wait to pick it up, though I would've gotten it regardless of scores.

Seems like my metacritic prediction of 88 might happen
panda-emoticon-65.gif

before I read any of these, let's lay down a rule I think we can all agree on: if you can't review this game without bringing up the Wii U's market position, you're probably a bad writer

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Actually scoring higher than I expected, not that it would sway me here either way. A shame battle mode is so poorly made, but I'm really excited for this.

But it's in some exquisite details, too: the way that Toadette's pigtails (each one a string of pink mushrooms) flap in the furious breeze; the upturned ice-cream cones used as road markers in Sweet Sweet Canyon; the stitching on the karts' kites; their finely painted, Mario-themed racing liveries; the birds that scatter off the Moo Moo Meadows' mud track. It's in the way that your racer will turn their head to glance at a rival as they streak past and it's in the look of dismay that crinkles across their face when struck by an incoming shell. All of this weight and attention, all delivered in an unflinching 60 frames per second. Video games have been this detailed before, but never with such imagination, grace and humour.

From the Eurogamer review. I don't know how Nintendo does it.

Capella

Dammit, that's it, I'm getting a Wii U before I get anything else. Mario Kart is one of my favorite series of games and this one looks too good to pass up. I really hope I can get the bundle before the free game promotion runs out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lets not take sly digs at reviews that don't happen to follow a strict and early consensus.

Top Bottom