• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

zakislam

PR:

2nd June 2014 – On 30th May, Mario Kart 8 for Wii U launched simultaneously around the world to global acclaim, garnering some of the strongest review scores in the history of the series. Following this, Nintendo has today reported that the game sold more than 1.2 million* total units across Japan, Europe and The Americas from Thursday, 29th May to Sunday, 1st June.**

"Such positive early feedback for Mario Kart 8 reinforces the great gameplay experiences that Wii U currently offers," said Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata. "With Nintendo set to showcase its future releases at E3 next week, this is a great milestone going into the summer season."

Prior to Mario Kart 8, the seven titles that have launched previously in the series have combined to sell more than 100 million total units, an average of more than 14 million units per title. This includes two of the best-selling video games of all time: Mario Kart Wii for Wii and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems. The full list includes:

5401a1fee759d9d48750ecd3a3c5db66.png

*Based on Nintendo’s internal sales figures.

**Mario Kart 8 launched on Thursday, 29th May in Japan and Friday, 30th May across Europe and The Americas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Very solid results.

I do wish they would share how many Wii U's it moved, but understandably they might want to wait a bit on that so it adds up.

Jamix012

Pretty decent for the Wii U! Especially since I expect this thing to have pretty good legs (at least for the Wii U.)

Mariolee

That's more games than Wii U's sold!

I really do feel like this is the start of Nintendo's momentum. Mario Kart 8, then E3 megatons, then Smash Bros, etc.

This includes eShop sales, right? Because I'm almost eShop exclusive with all my Wii U purchases.

Such we'll deserved success too. Fantastic game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Better than expected. Good start- Nintendo needs to maintain momentum starting next week.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Reaffirms my suspicion that Mario Kart has become Nintendo's biggest franchise outside Pokemon.

It hits all the buttons and attracts everyone, male and female, old and young, casual and core game players. Even the Wii U is made a bit more generally attractive once Mario Kart is out.

How many Wii U's have been sold worldwide to date?

Cause if it's something like 4 million, then a quarter of Wii U owners got the game :O

EDIT: Wow it's 6 million, which makes the 1 million Mario Kart 8's sold was a pretty big chunk

Daschysta

That's almost 25 percent of the userbase in two days. Really impressive attach rate. If Ninty can use E3 to build up momentum and get a few releases between now and smash things could get alot better for Wii U.

Top Bottom