• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 with Raspberry Pi running Ambilight

I had to watch this twice to realize what was even going on, that the light was on purpose and not just created by the TV screen. seems pretty cool!

LAA

Wii U as powerful as Raspbery Pi? ;)

Ha ha, seriously I don't understand what hes doing. Streaming Wii U games to it or something?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That's really cool... not quite as cool as that demo MS did awhile back.. but still really cool.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wii U as powerful as Raspbery Pi? ;)

Ha ha, seriously I don't understand what hes doing. Streaming Wii U games to it or something?

He's using a raspberry pi to analyze the video signal coming out of the WiiU, which then mirrors it to the television while driving some lights behind the television based on what is being displayed.

I really dig all the ambilight vids out there. The backlit aesthetic is easy on the eyes and enhances whatever media you're watching, imo. Price for getting everything bought and installed is still too steep for me personally but if you've got the cash for it I think it's a worthwhile mod.

LAA

He's using a raspberry pi to analyze the video signal coming out of the WiiU, which then mirrors it to the television while driving some lights behind the television based on what is being displayed.

Ah right, thanks for that.
I thought the lights were just from the TV, pretty cool indeed!

cRIPticon

Nowhere near the same effect, but we use an iPhone app to listen to te TV and strobe Hue bulbs in the room. No color sync or bleed external soon from the color on screen to color positioning in the room, but still fun.

When will devs start doing Hue integration on games. Playing TxK would be completely rad that way!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, and not optimal for playing/watching.

Neat for parties i guess.

I doubt you ever played on an Ambilight TV. Neat for parties? lol.
It's anything but annoying, it's filling your peripheral vision with colours from the game.

When looking at the screen it's simply more immersive. Doesn't really come across well off a youtube video where someone else is playing.

It's seriously going to be difficult for me to go back to other brands of TV that don't have ambilight. Fucking Philips, sell your patent already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I doubt you ever played on an Ambilight TV. Neat for parties? lol.
It's anything but annoying, it's filling your peripheral vision with colours from the game.

When looking at the screen it's simply more immersive. Doesn't really come across well off a youtube video where someone else is playing.

It's seriously going to be difficult for me to go back to other brands of TV that don't have ambilight. Fucking Philips, sell your patent already.

It's always been silly to me to display colors behind a TV.
I have however been displaying white light at 6500k for over a decade behind every TV I've ever owned to improve contrast (to the eye) and lessen eyestrain at night.

Cirruss

I remember seeing some of this kind of tech a few years ago, however it seemed a bit complicated to set up back then so I didn't pursue it. Glad too see that its become more accessible now, I would jump on in if it was in stock, but unfortunately it wouldn't be as good the way my TV Is set up at the moment.

I think rainbow road is actually pretty bad for showing this off to be honest, the colours change way too often, I think his other videos show it off better.

Mesoian

Like under $50

Well, the basic lights alone are about 50 us. And it looks like the set you want are 170...so it's not a cheap mod.

And they all seem to be completely out of stock.

I'll keep an eye on this though, this is pretty damned cool.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well, the basic lights alone are about 50 us. And it looks like the set you want are 170...so it's not a cheap mod.

And they all seem to be completely out of stock.

I'll keep an eye on this though, this is pretty damned cool.

That's if you buy a kit. You can build all this from scratch for way, way cheaper.

Orayn

wait
if "ambilight" is a feature of this tv...
...why the need for the raspberry pi?

It's not a feature of the TV. It's an Ambilight-like effect that you make yourself with a string of LED clusters attached to the back of your TV, and a Raspberry Pi reading a copy of the video input and controlling them.

Top Bottom