• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Driving School, First stop San Diego

LaMeRz

Went to Horton Plaza in San Diego today in order to play Mario Kart a little bit earlier. This is primarily a picture post but here are some quick comments.

The wheel works an feels way better than I expected. Making turns feels good although after just a few plays it was a little hard to judge when my kart would begin to drift. (I just noticed there is an automatic and manual selection for drifting)

In terms of level design, the new tracks feel much wider than previous games, even with 12 characters for each race. Even the battle level I played (Delfino Pier) felt very large.

Here come the pics

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

We got a driver's license with our favorite character and weapon...I got Luigi and the red shell
IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I had no idea there was an automatic or manual selection in Mario Kart
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Pictures of some workers in their uniforms
IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Rlan

Did you happen to play - or see - the "Funky Stadium" multiplayer level? What was that like?

Lobster

Banned
aww man...

Australia is so not cool :(

We should have a Mario Kart tour for down under! I love that stuff!

LaMeRz

I saw someone else playing funky stadium. It looked cool but when I was playing I let the girlfriend choose the tracks to play.

Nabster92

Where in San Diego is this? Near UCSD by any chance?

Edit: nvm looked up where horton plaza is. About 20 minutes away... how long is this thing going on for here?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looks great, I forgot this was coming out so soon. I love the Menus too, very slick.

LaMeRz

Nabster92 said:
Where in San Diego is this? Near UCSD by any chance?

Edit: nvm looked up where horton plaza is. About 20 minutes away... how long is this thing going on for here?

As a recent UCSD grad i know your pain of nothing cool close to the school. It was only in Horton on friday but is at Wavemont Plaza Belmont Park on Sat and Sunday.

The schedule can be found at http://www.mariokart.com/wii/

crispyben

LaMeRz said:
(I just noticed there is an automatic and manual selection for drifting)

LaMeRz said:
I had no idea there was an automatic or manual selection in Mario Kart

You answered your own question before you asked it. Thanks for the report, can't wait for next Friday!

I like the shared track map on the split screen mode. I don't recall if Double Dash was like this or other racing games for that matter, but in any case very nice use of the real estate.

**Correction - Double Dash had this too, except the track seems more visible on the screen on the Wii. :D

Top Bottom