• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Wii Hands-on

Vagabundo

Davidion said:
Sweet. Excite Truck controls all the fucking way.

But hey why aren't we all saying how ugly it looks? I mean, it's totally not trolling and it's a legitimate concern and I was totally going to buy it if it had a few more polygons and I'm totally like not a stupid fanboy. I like, swear.

SHURRUP!!!

Stupid fanboi...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Morts said:
Haven't all of them allowed playing with strangers?

he's making a joke. Almost every online wii/ds game discussion includes someone making a statement like this, not realizing that every game allows you to play randomly with strangers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
1. Death of snaking is awesome but the new boost and powerslide mechanic sounds like a good idea on paper at least, purely for its own sake.

2. They better make the Mario Kart Channel stand-alone because that's an awesome idea and goes against Nintendo's grain of bare-bones, "simple does not scare people" online features.

3. The statistics trading features for gamer profiles is the kind of in-depth, detailed stat tracking that I always wished Xbox Live would offer instead of the ability to only view a few pre-set achievements that somebody else has. Now, I wonder if the stats will be viewable to other players, including online in a lobby system? Imagine being able to truly see another players tendencies and habits to the detailed level before playing with or against them.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Great preview from IGN there, and now I'm about to read 1up's - I need need new videos though! Not to mention if there will be no voice chat (which I doubt there will be, so me and my friends will have to have a work-around, like getting in a lobby on the 360)...

But I think you guys are misunderstanding the boosting - from what I understand from IGN, they didn't kill snaking, they just eliminated being able to do it rapidly by wiggling the stick back and forth - what really matters is how long you have to drift to be able to get a boost, as well as how much more boost you get by holding it as you drift around a corner - then we'll see if snaking is really dead...

Either way, it's an excellent change, and practically returned the drifting to the SNES style, but with a hell of an improvement with giving you a boost for it, making it more of a racer again - nice...

Give me a good Wii + Mario Kart bundle, and I'm there day one - I may be able to set aside the graphics whore in me for Mario Kart Wii...

For information, here is an excellent summary of the IGN preview that was posted in the other thread, thanks to Cosmonaut X ->

Cosmonaut X said:
A few more details to add to yours (some duplicated):

CONTROLS:

● Wii Remote
● Wii Remote + Nunchuk
● Classic controller
● GameCube controller

● Controller chosen is automatically detected
● Records saved with a icon indicating which control method was used

GAME MODES

● Grand Prix mode has 50, 100 and 150cc divisions
● 50cc is kart only; 100cc is bike only; 150cc is a mix of both

COURSES

● 16 classic courses including Peach Beach, Waluigi Stadium, Yoshi Falls, Delfino Square, Mario Raceway, Sherbet Land, Shy Guy Beach and Ghost Valley 2
● 16 new courses including Luigi Circuit, Moo Moo Meadows, Mushroom Gorge, Toad's Factory, Mario Circuit, Coconut Mall, DK Summit, and Wario's Gold Mine

● Classic courses updated to fit new engine but retain their classic look, i.e. Mode 7 style for the SNES tracks

CHARACTERS, VEHICLES & RACING

● Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad, Koopa, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Bowser
● Suspect there may be more characters, including Mii racers
● Each character has six vehicles available from the start: three karts and three motorbikes. The vehicles are split into three categories: normal, character-specific and heavy
● 12 racers per race

● Bikes are slower than karts, but this is balanced by being easier to boost using wheelies
● Kart boosting through powerslides. Hold a slide for as long as possible, then release to boost.
● Drafting included
● Tricks included - flick the controller at the peak of a jump to perform a trick and gain a speed boost on landing.

● Classic powerups return - green & red shells, mushrooms, banana peel, Bullet Bill powerup etc.
● New powerups include a cloud that must be passed from player to player before it shoots lightning and shrinks you, and a POW block that appears over your racer and must quickly be destroyed by jumping into it. Also included is the mega-mushroom which makes your racer grow to a huge size.

ONLINE & STATS

● 12 player online
● Two players can play online on the same machine
● Mario Kart Channel to download records, ghosts, tournaments and weekly challenges, among others

● Comprehensive stat-tracking - race and battle count, distance travelled, number of tricks, WFC wins/losses, tournaments played, how many times you've hit/been hit etc.

Sounds pretty damn awesome to me.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
methodman said:
For the friend code system, can you add people from GAF and also from a list of your friends, or is it like mario kart ds where you have to search for a game "with friends" which was hella whack
If it's anything like MKDS's online system I will be very unhappy.

"Hey, a friend has gotten online!"

"Who?"

"A friend!"

"Can I see who it is? And which friends are online? And interact with them in any way?"

"lol no"

"...oh, fine. I'll just play a random game online with people in NA in my skill level."

"Searching for players..." (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee) (one square lights up)

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee) (second square lights up) (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

"Okay, c'mon, fourth player let's go. C'mon."

(all squares turn off)

"Jesus Christ WTF."

FIVE MINUTES LATER

"FINALLY. Oka- wait what I said people in my skill level from NA, there's two guys from Japan and their win-loss is like 327-0 this is not what I wanted oh god and they all picked luigi and yoshi fuck this shit"

"Logging off from Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection..." (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee...)

JCX

Crushed said:

"Who?"

"A friend!"

"Can I see who it is? And which friends are online? And interact with them in any way?"

"lol no"

"...oh, fine. I'll just play a random game online with people in NA in my skill level."

"Searching for players..." (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee) (one square lights up)

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee) (second square lights up) (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

(all squares turn off)

"Jesus Christ WTF."

FIVE MINUTES LATER

"FINALLY. Oka- wait what I said people in my skill level from NA, there's two guys from Japan and their win-loss is like 327-0 this is not what I wanted oh god and they all picked luigi and yoshi fuck this shit"

"Logging off from Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection..." (doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee, doo-doo-dee-dee-dee...)

:lol

Crushed said:

"Who?"

"A friend!"

"lol no"

"..."

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

(all squares turn off)

"Jesus Christ WTF."

FIVE MINUTES LATER

:lol :lol :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Crushed said:

"Who?"

"A friend!"

"lol no"

"..."

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

(all squares turn off)

"Jesus Christ WTF."

FIVE MINUTES LATER

You've been way too kind.

let's celebrate the death of snaking with a cake:

cake-8inch.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
Crushed said:
"I'll just play a random game online with people in NA in my skill level."

"..."

"..."

(doo-doo-dee-dee-dee)

(all squares turn off)

"Jesus Christ WTF."

FIVE MINUTES LATER

I never played MK online, but that pretty accurately describes my experience with Metroid Prime Hunters. I swear, I played against one guy who would fire a missile directly at where my head was going to be before I actually spawned, and it would kill me the instant I spawned.

Ranger X

Why people are saying that snaking is gone? It's only that its easy to generate a powerslide boost.

You guys will still have to powerslide all the time and in the straights.

Koomaster

I was excited before since I like Mario Kart, but reading about all these new features - and playable Miis - gets me REALLY hyped up for the next Mario Kart! I hope they really truely mean it will be released this spring and it isn't delayed.

Man, 12 racers is going to be such fun chaos! Yay!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ranger X said:
Why people are saying that snaking is gone? It's only that its easy to generate a powerslide boost.

You guys will still have to powerslide all the time and in the straights.

it's gonna depend and how powerful a long power slide is compared to a short one.

Ramenman

BrodiemanTTR said:
I'm just glad Nintendo is finally releasing an online game that allows you to play with strangers instead of forcing you to use friend codes.

PLEASE TELL ME YOURE JOKING. PLEASE.

Even in Mario Kart DS you COULD play with strangers. Seriously. Since the very first online Nintendo game YOU COULD.
Apart from Animal Crossing and maybe some other exceptions, WFC games always had a random matchmaking function.

NOW TELL ME YOU WERE JOKING PLEASE.

(okay, you were, but I'll still left it there in case somebody thinks it's a grand premiere :p).

Ramenman said:
PLEASE TELL ME YOURE JOKING. PLEASE.

Even in Mario Kart DS you COULD play with strangers. Seriously. Since the very first online Nintendo game YOU COULD.
Apart from Animal Crossing and maybe some other exceptions, WFC games always had a random matchmaking function.

NOW TELL ME YOU WERE JOKING PLEASE.
BrodiemanTTR said:
I guess I didn't lay my sarcasm on thick enough.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ooooh yeah, snaking is nerfed. I will purchase because of this alone.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
KevinCow said:
I never played MK online, but that pretty accurately describes my experience with Metroid Prime Hunters. I swear, I played against one guy who would fire a missile directly at where my head was going to be before I actually spawned, and it would kill me the instant I spawned.
Nah, Hunters is MUCH better in its online stuff. It doesn't do that annoying beeping effect, and it'll start a game much more quickly even if it doesn't have 4 players.

Oh, and I once did that shooting someone spawning by accident in Hunters. I was playing as Trace and owning this dude from IGN. I had just killed him with a headshot when suddenly he respawned right next to me. I freaked out and shot at him, and actually managed to hit him in the head for another headshot kill. :lol

zigg

Davidion said:
Sweet. Excite Truck controls all the fucking way.

How is shaking the controller "Excite Truck controls"?

(Not to mention mashing the d-pad for the other schemes...)

test_account

XP-39C²
That plastic wheel shouldnt be included in every package in my opinion. I guess alot of people will only try the wheel once or so, then they wont use it again. Mario Kart for Wii is probly going to sell millions of copies so it sux that so many of those plastic steering wheels will be produced for "nothing", most likely atleast.

Ramenman

And yay at Crushed for most accurate description of MKDS online mode.

Can't believe how many times I and all of my friends were seeing the four squares, when it suddenly disappeared for no reason.

Ramenman

zigg said:

If you're talking about how 1UP describes the stunt system, then it's not "shaking" as running in Raving Rabbids or RE4, it's just tilting the controller upwards or backwards.

Davidion

zigg said:

Holding the remote sideways and using the motion sensor function to drive isn't "excite truck controls"?

Avrum

Colonel Nelson said:
2 player online! Sweet!

This has been forgotten by every game but Halo for too long.

I actually think Mario Strikers: Charged and Brawl both do this as well, but I agree, more games should allow for this option.

Minsc

Gold Member
So snaking is killed. Good, it was pointlessly stupid anyway, it was just a reward to the OCD hardcore.

Now boosting will hopefully only work best by sliding around tight turns, and boosting down a straight road (not a curve), will be slower than simply driving perfectly straight.

The mechanic should only be beneficial when properly used on a corner.

methodman

Banned
Is there a thing like team racing? I can stay in back and shoot my blue missile, my teammate in first falls back to 2nd and it hits the dude in 1st? that'd be fun

Oh hell yes, gamecube controller support, my controllers I bought for Brawl will have some other use! My hype for this game just shot up like a ton reading this article.

By the way... there is 4 player splitscreen offline, right? I know that sounds like a dumb question, being MK and all, I just wanted to make sure.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh, Crushed. :lol

This thread is much more lovely than the other thread, I think I'm going to stay here and let my hype for the game rise more.

I think I'll use my new bought-for-Brawl Gamecube pad with this as well. I just miss the rumble with the classic pad and if I'm playing online I want to feel in complete control. In Excite Truck I found the controls to be perfect for the most part, but it'd occasionally spaz out.

samratty

Yay!
No snaking and great online features. Can't wait for this to come out.
I also think it's cool how the SNES tracks will still look mode 7.
Gonna be great when you get a few friends round and a few beers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Day one!!!! The force is strong with this one.

Wii the ultimate party system... amirite?

Jammy

Banned
YES! MISSION MODE IS BACK! :D

EDIT:

In those screenshots, the game looks like it has better contrast... or the colors are much richer. There also seems to be a couple of effects that weren't used in Double Dash!!. I think this makes the game look a lot more like the N64 game.

The online aspect/Mario Kart Wii Channel sounds great. It seems like they're really putting some neat records in there. Two player and battle online is pure win.

And those new power-ups sound pretty creative.

All this with 32 tracks, bikes, tricks, and NO SNAKING? :D

EktorPR

Great online features!

I always find the local multiplayer infinitely more fun, though. This game (along with Brawl) will put back my Wii to great use as a party-fueler. :D

Penguin

methodman said:
Is there a thing like team racing? I can stay in back and shoot my blue missile, my teammate in first falls back to 2nd and it hits the dude in 1st? that'd be fun

Actually the way the game works is you would hit your partner.
Doesn't the blue shell go after whoever was in first when it was fired even if they lose their position?

But doubt there is team racing.
Seems to be team battles though.:D

Top Bottom