• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Mario Kart XXL' - GBA tech demo discovered

SoulUnison

Banned
I like the look more than Super Circuit's, but the pulled-back Micro Machines style camera/controls aren't what I want from Mario Kart.

Haunted

image.php

Probably the best 3-D game I saw on GBA was V-Ralley 3D. Some assets were obviously sprites, but stuff like the environment blew my mind for a GBA game.

Krejlooc

Banned
Do you guys know who denaris entertainment is?

MANFRED TRENZ WAS MAKING A MARIO KART?????

TURRICAN Manfred trenz? Holy fucking shit

Demo scene coding god manfred trenz?

WOOOOOW

Doopliss

What are those hellish sounds in the video? Had to mute it.
Video description says it's 2 mode seven layers, which makes sense because the backgrounds look flat. The GBA was capable of real 3D, but the polygons jittered like crazy. It made you appreciate the PS1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HEvabW3IA
Quite a nice effect it achieves for something so basic. I don't think it makes sense for Mario Kart though because the of necessarily high camera perspective.

That Asterix game looks nightmarish.

Why does he keep letting the analog stick click back to the center lawd how loud/annoying.
The main reason I muted it. Plus stopped before it ended, because while interesting that demo looked slow and bad. The tech behind it may have been mind blowing for GBA, but as has been said the pulled back cam along with how slow it all runs ruins it for me and in no way reminds me of Mario Kart.

That title screen looks really really really familiar. Was it ripped from something else?

Also having the comments disabled makes me wonder.

Edit: Found it, it is a modified version of Mario Kart: Double Dash for the Gamecube.

00217609-photo-mario-kart-ds.jpg

Do you guys know who denaris entertainment is?

MANFRED TRENZ WAS MAKING A MARIO KART?????

TURRICAN Manfred trenz? Holy fucking shit

Demo scene coding god manfred trenz?

WOOOOOW

They weren't necessarily making a Mario Kart, it's just a Mario Kart-themed demo. Kind of like that recreation of the start of Metal Gear Solid that's also for the GBA.

LewieP

Amazing. I thought you meant the DS version of it, didn't know there was a GBA port.
Personally I think the previous GBA games look better. But it's still interesting that they attempted to do a proper 3d entry on the GBA, the results are impressive even if a little ugly and hard to read.

Borman

That title screen looks really really really familiar. Was it ripped from something else?

Also having the comments disabled makes me wonder.

Edit: Found it, it is a modified version of Mario Kart: Double Dash for the Gamecube.

00217609-photo-mario-kart-ds.jpg

Someone doesnt know how game development works :p Im working on a story with a major studio using WoW assets that isn't Blizzard. It happens. Why create new stuff for tests?

WillyFive

"Its the first time that the manage to rotate 2 different mode seven layers. This was never done before on Gameboy Advance system, however Nintendo did only use the engine in later GBA games."

F-Zero Advance did it and it was a launch title.

Hey, this brings to mind...

Why was there no handheld-to-TV addon for the Wii/DS or WiiU/3DS like with the SNES/GB(C) and GameCube/GBA adaptors before them?

Komo

Banned
Graphically it looks fantastic for GBA, but that camera is just eugh.

Don't like how it takes a while to catch up after the kart goes around a corner. Who thought that was a good idea?

Almost DS level 3D. Doubt it'd be able to handle 8 racers, but still cool.

yeah I was thinking that, once you add in more gameplay features and up the scrolling speed you may lose the performance to run it well, still it's really impressive and looks awesome.

DS games are supposed to come to the WiiU e-shop

They already are, but I'm talking about things like a physical addon with the handheld's hardware that plugs into the console and plays on the TV with the console's controller with the handheld's cartridges. Nintendo did it before, with the Super GameBoy on the SNES and the GameBoy Player on the Gamecube (demonstrated in the video).

Y'know, like the Vita TV, but without the disastrous execution of the Vita TV.
Sony, all you had to do was have a Video-Out slot like with the PSP

Graphically it looks fantastic for GBA, but that camera is just eugh.

Don't like how it takes a while to catch up after the kart goes around a corner. Who thought that was a good idea?

They probably wanted to show off the multiple turning sprites and weren't focused on gameplay at all.

Krejlooc

Banned
They already are, but I'm talking about things like a physical addon with the handheld's hardware that plugs into the console and plays on the TV with the console's controller with the handheld's cartridges. Nintendo did it before, with the Super GameBoy on the SNES and the GameBoy Player on the Gamecube (demonstrated in the video).

Y'know, like the Vita TV, but without the disastrous execution of the Vita TV.
Sony, all you had to do was have a Video-Out slot like with the PSP

Well I have a 3DS capture board for that very reason :p

Lijik

Not very impressive considering the 3D a licensed game pulled off on the GBA:

http://youtu.be/hWBUdgIa0oE

I think the camera movement stuff is really impressive, Asterix could only rotate left and right like an old PSX game and the angle they gave was rubbish whenever the game expected platforming. This demo also doesnt have the low draw distance of Asterix, but to be fair its only rendering one track and racer.

Top Bottom