• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam JP date: Dec 3

GameE

From Nintendo's website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/schedule/index.html#monthLater

More info soon?

Box art:

CQQMxluUAAI_teh.jpg:large

There is also amiibo support. Use any of the Mario amiibo (Yoshi, peach, etc) to get a card in battle.

Berordn

Ok cool. Weird that we haven't seen any gameplay from this since E3, but we get a release date. Same with the new Mario Tennis.

At least with Mario & Luigi, this isn't unheard of. With Dream Team they waited until about a month before doing a big media blitz.

Interesting that it's coming out so soon, though. Wasn't expecting it until next year.

Zubz

Banned
Ok cool. Weird that we haven't seen any gameplay from this since E3, but we get a release date. Same with the new Mario Tennis.

Honestly, I just see this as further proof that Nintendo had an August Direct planned that they scrapped due to the circumstances. Still, with an E3 reveal, this still seems pretty fast.

I'm not too excited for this since I realized it's just Mario & Luigi 5 instead of Paper Mario 3, but at the same time, we barely know anything. So who knows? Maybe this means we'll get a trailer soon, on par with the 2nd 3D World trailer?

phanphare

Banned
nice, can't wait for this to come out in North America

one of the few things from the Digital Event that I'm excited about

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

That is Nintendo's usual marketing plan. We'll see plenty of things for it in November, and if there's a Direct soon we'll probably get a trailer. At least it's a Mario game and not a relatively new IP, those games are hurt by Nintendo's marketing a lot more than these games are.

Lunar15

This game makes me feel weird. Not a big fan of M&L, but I love Paper Mario to death. Sad it had to go this way.

I want to be excited but I didn't care for either Mario & Luigi's or Paper Mario's 3DS games at all...very skeptical. Hope it turns out alright.

Mory Dunz

This game makes me feel weird. Not a big fan of M&L, but I love Paper Mario to death. Sad it had to go this way.
Well it's basically a ml game and plays like it. So that might make up your mind.

I don't think this move is permanent. At least I hope not.

rhandino

Banned
I'm actually incredible excited for this one since Sticker Star is one of my fave adventure games and Dream Team was charming as fuck...

Can't wait =3

Lunar15

Well it's basically a ml game and plays like it. So that might make up your mind.

Yeah, it's an M&L game with Paper Mario tacked on. Great if you like M&L, not so great if you like PM.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Considering that the Paper Mario IP is nothing more than an experimental playground now I'm not sure why it matters if this is permanent.

But I doubt Paper Mario will be in another Mario and Luigi. TBH, I think Alpha Dream could make a better Paper Mario at this point if this wasn't part of Mario and Luigi.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hope its not 30-40 fuckin hours long like the last one
The only Mario RPG I've never beaten.

This one is odd. I wonder how much of Paper Mario will cross over into this. Just Mario himself? Will we hear about Rogueport? Get other cameos?

Mory Dunz

Considering that the Paper Mario IP is nothing more than an experimental playground now I'm not sure why it matters if this is permanent.

But I doubt Paper Mario will be in another Mario and Luigi. TBH, I think Alpha Dream could make a better Paper Mario at this point if this wasn't part of Mario and Luigi.

Truer and more depressing words hav never been spoken.

If the next PM game is another deviation, I nominate the OT subtitle to be:

Paper Mario |OT| An experiential playground

This one is odd. I wonder how much of Paper Mario will cross over into this. Just Mario himself? Will we hear about Rogueport? Get other cameos?

Peach and Bowser and been shown.
And Bowser talks...

maxcriden

Dream Team took me 55 hours and I still didn't manage to 100% it yet (but I did beat it). Wonderful game and woefully under-appreciated. The tutorials are quick and really not that bad. There are a lot of game mechanics to learn.

The moves were insanely fun, and the graphics extremely impressive in motion and on a 3DS.

original.gif

tumblr_mleuihuSrL1rrftcdo1_400.gif

tumblr_mi9upvD4sj1qzp9weo3_250.gif

Anyway, I am eager for the game. Extremely eager. It was my biggest, most excited surprise of E3. I didn't think it was coming till Q1 2016 in JP even, so I'm hoping for a March release WW now. I imagine this is a heftier game to localize, though, so maybe it will take a bit longer than that.

P.S. Dream Team has one of the best OSTs of any recent game. Incredible tunes.

Berordn

From what we've seen looks like it's just the Paper characters running around the M&L world. I wouldn't expect much more than a shoutout to the partners and Bowser inevitably teaming up with Paper Bowser for double shenanigans.

Crayolan

I wish this was a Paper Mario game instead of a M&L game, but I'll be happy if it can match up to Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga.

First trailer showed Paper Bowser, Paper Peach, and some Paper Toads.

TM25

Neo Member
I never finished Dream Team despite liking it, so I will skip this. Hope it turns out well for those buying it.

SalvaPot

My game of E3, want it so bad.

I wish they release M&L and a Paper Mario amiibo, would be cool.

Also it seems the game is more a M&L with a Paper Mario character on it that a full on crossover, I hope we are wrong, since the recent Mario games did have 2D like leves that reminded me of Paper Mario Overworld. We´ll see.

maxcriden

Oh, right, here is a post I wrote a while back espousing the glory of Dream Team's boss battles:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

I recently finished up this game. As a big fan of the previous entries in the series that I've played, I really didn't mind the much-maligned tutorials much, and I found the game to be a lengthy and wholly charming adventure. Two of the Giant Luigi boss battles in particular stuck out to me.

The first of these is the epic struggle against the Zeekeeper.

250px-Zeekeeper_Artwork_-_Mario_%26_Luigi_Dream_Team.png

These Giant battles consist of stylus attacks and dodges and gyroscope sections. When the Zeekeeper attacks, you have to dodge out of the way or send his attacks back at him. The real fun starts though when he rips open a tear in the dimensional fabric (!) and you have to dodge his attacks using the gyroscope and hit him when he's dazed. It doesn't hurt that the music in this battle is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV6r-aMBvlk

The Giant Bowser battle is even more epic in some ways.

GiantDreamyBowser.jpg

God DAMN, this battle was a real nail-biter for me. Unlike the non-Giant battles, there's no leveling up for Giant Luigi, so the battles increasingly put your skills to the test and there's no grinding to be done to help you increase your stats and give you a better chance in these battles. You fight Giant Bowser in the middle of a volcano (of course!) and he starts out charging against you. If you dodge him, he falls into lava. The goal is to keep knocking him into the lava, but it's not very easy to do so. You also can jump away from his attacks, onto his airship, and charge into him, and an army of Shy Guys will try to poke at your feet and serve up delicious, regenerating meat to Bowser. There's also a second phase requiring traversal on a massive Star across a gyroscopic obstacle course to deliver a finishing blow. Oh, and of course if you dodge an attack successfully, you get to execute that ultra-satisfying Bowser tail spin, a la Mario 64. The whole game is bursting with creativity--truly the Mario 3D World of RPGs--and these battles are an excellent example of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDuh0gVj-c

I just want skipable tutorials.

Hey Sly Soul, you're going to need these hammers to help collect the 10 doodads in this thread.
What's that? you already know how they work because you've played one of the other games? ahaha, nah we better brush up on the basics.
Press the R button to switch to the hammer symbol, actually we locked out all the buttons except R so it's all you can do, we really need to make sure you know its the R button that makes the switch.
In fact lets just pan the camera slowly up to the symbol and watch a little demonstration of what tapping R will do before putting it into practice, witness the symbol change from jump to hammer, amazing right!

Moving on to swinging the hammer...
*5 minutes later*
Now if you hit Luigi with the hammer he'll go underground, please watch us random characters demonstrate this ourselves first because we don't trust you to figure out how it works with the complications of involving two or maybe even three button presses...

flohen95

I'd like it this year... but probably not this year in EU/UK. Boo.

Well, Dream Team came out a few days earlier in the EU than in Japan if I'm not mistaken, so who knows. It's unlikely though.

But man, that would be awesome. I'm insanely excited for this game. Loved every M&L game so far and Paper Mario 2 is my favourite game of all time, so there's hardly any chance that I'll not like this.

its like the same damn box art as the last two

M&L box art in Japan has almost always been that way:

PSqueak

Banned
its like the same damn box art as the last two

534px-Bowsersinsidestorycover.jpg

540px-Box_NA_-_Mario_%26_Luigi_Dream_Team.png

All the M&L games in japan have had this style of boxart, if i recall correctly, Super star Saga and Partners in time were the only ones to have a different style outside of japan.

I think it's a charming tradition.

Astarte

Dream Team didn't get me excited and Paper Mario 3D was garbage.
I hope the two of them combine to cancel out the awful.

MrBadger

I'd really like some confirmation that this game's gonna have some original characters and enemies. The fact that we've just seen platformer veterans like basic Toads, Koopas, Bowser and Petey Piranha has me a little concerned. I'm sure it'll still be great, but Sticker Star had no original characters besides the talking crown and the M&L games usually have a great cast. Even Dream Team's mediocre villain had an awesome design.

Top Bottom