• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga DX found on Nintendo 3DS eShop server

I am ok with Japanese 3DS game being released in the west now, the Arzest pikmin game, as well as the seemingly dull Kirby spin-offs. However, I think it would've been great if they released this on the Switch instead, with HD visuals. It seems they're milking the 3DS M&L engine for one more release just like with Fire Emblem Echoes.

3DS engine is now giving me bad memories of ridiculous amounts of tutorials, etc.

Hope they make the game a bit more challenging and add the cut content like the other nintendo cameos.

Also doesnt this mean they have to pay Square again to keep the Geno cameo?
The game is already on Wii U VC so they would've had to do that before anyway.

Ridley327

Hope they make the game a bit more challenging and add the cut content like the other nintendo cameos.

Also doesnt this mean they have to pay Square again to keep the Geno cameo?

Probably, but I can't imagine that Squenix is bending them over the barrel on the licensing fee for Geno if his costume got into Smash just fine.

Sterok

That would make every M&L game playable on 3DS. Not the best one (BiS is king), but definitely a solid title.

Still got my original copy and its aged amazingly so idk if I'd buy this. Hell I'd probably buy it just to keep my M&L collection complete lol.

Oh my god, Superstar Saga remake with Dream Team/Paper Jam art and animations?
1485138842420.gif

That would make every M&L game playable on 3DS. Not the best one (BiS is king), but definitely a solid title.

Yeah BiS was truly special. Bowser is at his absolute best there and even some of the tutorials couldn't hurt the ridiculous amount of charm and creativity in this entry. It was all downhill after that.

SSS is fantastic and has the best overworld by far in any Mario RPG and I hope there's a 3DS remake with updated sprites and everything.

magnetic

DX makes me think that is more of a port rather than a full remake in an new engine. Maybe just the GBA game with an extended field of view to account for the increase in resolution.

I mean, I hope it is. The art style is fine the way it is, even if the brothers look a bit goofy (which is actually pretty entertaining!).

DX makes me think that is more of a port rather than a full remake in an new engine. Maybe just the GBA game with an extended field of view to account for the increase in resolution.

I mean, I hope it is. The art style is fine the way it is, even if the brothers look a bit goofy (which is actually pretty entertaining!).

Would rebuy many GBA games if they did that, 3DS would ascend to an even GOATer status.

Onaco

So Nintendo, you know what other RPG from the GBA your fans would love to see get a remake treatment... Or a release in the West for that matter...

Cool, more people get to play the best Mario and Luigi game.

Define short. How Long To Beat says 18.5 hours just for the main story.

Short for jrpg-y standards where any game has to break the 40 hour barrier no matter what.

Long for most Mario games standards and about right for M&L games. (Dream Team was a one-off that doubled the length at 40ish hours)

People saying this is the best Mario RPG, you mean better than original Mario RPG, PM 64 and PMTYD??
I mean those are also great games but so is SSS. The main thing for me that makes SSS amazing tier is the overworld. There's no other Mario RPG that comes close in that respect.

Kouriozan

The first M&L RPG is also the only one I never finished, not even reached the half of the game.
I might be interested in this.

Ok. Still makes no sense to put HD with quotations or not since 3DS as a remake wouldn't be thought of as an HD remake.

I think you might just be reading too far into it. It makes sense. What he's saying is easy to comprehend. The original game was a GBA game. They're [apparently] remaking it for the 3DS. 3DS isn't an HD system but one would think it will certainly be much improved, visually, over the original. Hence, it'll be an "HD" port. Just a cheeky thing to say.

I wish it WAS an HD port though. I wanna see those graphics in HD on Switch, would they look like the box and promo art but animated? That'd be incredible @__@

Edit: Rereading this it sounds like I might be coming across harshly? But I don't mean it harshly I'm just stoned and typed it in little sentence spurts I'm sorry ):

Ohhh. I loved this game on the GBA and it's been long enough since I've played it that I forgot most of it. Paper Jam was such a disappointment (to me) that I'm in the mood for a good Mario RPG.

KingBroly

Banned
Given that Nintendo is alternating M&L and Paper Mario...this would mean the next Paper Mario is going to be a remake, right? Maybe? Hopefully?

I didn't love the 3DS M&L games (never finished Dream Team and Paper Jam was a bit bland), but I did LOVE how they looked.

Superstar Saga in that look would be really cool, but I'd be fine with just a basic widescreen-ening of the original artstyle if that's all this is.

I still own the cartridge and have the game digitally on my homebrewed 3DS, but I'd still be down to rebuy an upgraded version of it day one.

Top Bottom