• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party 8 - The whole set of images (wow!)

Krowley

I'll just copy my post from the screen shot thread...

a couple in particular stood out to me...

54941520070223_174830_8_big.jpg

54941520070222_140106_0_big.jpg

54941520070222_140015_10_big.jpg

There are others that look great too..

I see some bumpiness and a pretty clean/real/solid look...

Next gen???

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well I certainly don't think THIS is the game that reveals what the Wii can do. Some of the shots look great, and some definitely don't. The Wii's standard set of effects are starting to reveal themselves: check out the water in the boat shots, and then look at the blur in the flying shots. This is a great start, but it seems to be hit or miss with the mini games. The true test will be to get consistent quality (clarity, crispness, and smoothness) throughout a whole world.

Either way, this is a definite improvement over anything I've really seen thus far out of this game. I'm seeing some nice, crisp shots. While they certainly aren't anywhere close to 360 level, I think that people could point to this game as the moment that the Wii surpassed the original XBOX in visual quality.

Krowley

I hate the series, but i honestly don't think the cube could do this.. or if it could, nobody pushed it that hard.. I have a terrible sense of these things, but i don't think the xbox could do it either.

Also... i could like the series more if it was online so hopefully this will be..

Krowley

Nickovic said:
Sorry to disappoint....

:/

Makes no sense for a totally multiplayer game like this to be offline. Nintendo needs to learn that online gaming isn't just relegated to hardcore genre's. They need to get cracking with some online games soon..

Pud

Banned
I said wow. This is the best looking party game ever, I think. I bet after using the same engine the entire life of the Gamecube, Hudson was told by Nintendo either to make a completely new engine for the 'next gen mario party' or to spruce up their existing one big time, because it's quite evident here that this Mario Party will (on average) look much MUCH better than the previous ones.

No sale for me then, all my friends are xbots

This game WAS pushed back a month, but I highly doubt it was to add online. With that said, why the heck would you want to play a party game like this online? It completely and utterly defeats the purpose of a party game.

temjin

Banned
So, it's 'not' online? Horrible idea.

why the heck would you want to play a party game like this online? It completely and utterly defeats the purpose of a party game.
Why not? Having the option there would be great, and I could imagine it being fairly popular online.

Lobster

Banned
Krowley said:
:/

Makes no sense for a totally multiplayer game like this to be offline. Nintendo needs to learn that online gaming isn't just relegated to hardcore genre's. They need to get cracking with some online games soon..

Trust me. Im a Mario Party nut and I'd rather be playing this with the 4 other people next to me. They totally have to have balloon burst in MP8!

Face it guys..Mario Party just wouldn't be fun online..It just be some serious Mini Games..like Clubhouse..which is actually fun cause its not minigames.

Durante

PantherLotus said:
I think that people could point to this game as the moment that the Wii surpassed the original XBOX in visual quality.
Really? I don't see it. In fact, I'm rather surprised at most posts in this thread. Sure it may look better than previous games in the series (I wouldn't know) but next-gen or even beyond XBOX? Nah.

I could say we've hit next-gen.
BlindN-Fan

Eteric Rice

PantherLotus said:
Well I certainly don't think THIS is the game that reveals what the Wii can do. Some of the shots look great, and some definitely don't. The Wii's standard set of effects are starting to reveal themselves: check out the water in the boat shots, and then look at the blur in the flying shots. This is a great start, but it seems to be hit or miss with the mini games. The true test will be to get consistent quality (clarity, crispness, and smoothness) throughout a whole world.

Either way, this is a definite improvement over anything I've really seen thus far out of this game. I'm seeing some nice, crisp shots. While they certainly aren't anywhere close to 360 level, I think that people could point to this game as the moment that the Wii surpassed the original XBOX in visual quality.

While I do think this is something the X-Box couldn't do, I think we've yet to see what the Wii can really do.

Take a look at the Gamecube, the thing matched the X-Box on a regular basis depending on the title. Some of the Star Wars games are really good examples of this.

I expect in a year or so we'll see some very, very pretty games. Maybe nothing like the 360, but we're talking SD here, so the point is moot.

immy

Banned
Pud said:
This game WAS pushed back a month, but I highly doubt it was to add online. With that said, why the heck would you want to play a party game like this online? It completely and utterly defeats the purpose of a party game.

Because all my friends pretty much hate the wii, well not completely but mario party, yes. So the only over option is to play with my family who all suck so it's no fun with them. I just want to be able to play these games with other people because if I can't I will just end up playing the computer. :(

Krowley

Pud said:

For me, a party game = a multiplayer game and just like any other multiplayer game, i want it online otherwise i'll get very few chances to compete with people... I don't spend enough time around other gamers to make a game like this worth it unless i can play people online.

But that's far enough off topic.. These pics are some of the best looking wii pics released so far. That's the kind of graphical quality that might fool a casual gamer into thinking the wii has competitve graphics with 360. They should put this into store Kiosks and only set it up to play the prettiest mini's.

Like Pantherlotus said... Wii seems to have some tricks that weren't as common on gamecube.. This and mario galaxy show that bumpy textures aren't a problem... Some of the lighting seems more advanced than you see in current gen games.. I like the distortion effects... It looks good. Obviously the graphical style is a bit easier to do because so much of it is visual shorthand, but it's still impressive. Other devs need to take a look at this.

Haunted

woohoo!

although I always saw what the earlier screens were supposed to look like (smallish LQ scans vs direct feed), it's nice to see a thread where the game itself doesn't get hate only... :p

Mario Party is not a looker, has never been. But the clean graphics are more than enough to fully enjoy the game - + it's clear from these shots that MP8 is by far the biggest improvement since the jump from 3 to 4 (like it should be!).

Concerning the online/offline discussion. I think we all agree that face-to-face playing with 3-7 friends is where it's at with this game. Online multiplayer is a distant, distant second priority in that regard.

Man, it can't come soon enough!

I never played one of these but Wiimote should help this sell a ton
Online does not really hurt it since this is a Party game after all.

I wish Nintendo would just ready the online thing though. I want Animal Crossing Wii online in 2008

PantherLotus said:

thanks...

immy

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I never played one of these but Wiimote should help this sell a ton
Online does not really hurt it since this is a Party game after all.

I wish Nintendo would just ready the online thing though. I want Animal Crossing Wii online in 2008

Your prepared to wait till 2008 for online?

Haunted

Smiles and Cries said:
thanks...
It should be noted here that Hudson made all the Mario Party games, from 1 to 8 - so it's still in good hands if you liked the other ones. :)

immy said:
Animal Crossing is not a 2007 title.

immy said:

No, but I know that is the only time I should hope to see Animal Crossing

online ASAP would be nice but I rather Nintendo get it right, they are not really experienced with online

Shame for this game it looks so damn good but I have no one here to play this with

immy

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
No, but I know that is the only time I should hope to see Animal Crossing

online ASAP would be nice but I rather Nintendo get it right, they are not really experienced with online

Shame for this game it looks so damn good but I have no one here to play this with

O right I get you. I agree completely on online, Nintendo NEED to get this right!

Gigglepoo

Haunted_One said:
Animal Crossing is not a 2007 title.

There are certainly rumors swirling now that it will hit this year. We'll see. I have my money on Mario Galaxy slipping and Animal Crossing Wii filling the void.

That airplane game with the ballons at the end of the wings looks hot :D

Gigglepoo said:
There are certainly rumors swirling now that it will hit this year. We'll see. I have my money on Mario Galaxy slipping and Animal Crossing Wii filling the void.

I'm sorry to the OP for bringing up AC, please don't let Galaxy slip to 2008
don't give NOA ideas... I think Japan will see Galaxy this year for sure

White Man

Still doesn't look much better than a GC game. I'm beginning to believe that the framebuffer on the Wii really is a serious bottleneck.

Haunted

White Man said:
Still doesn't look much better than a GC game. I'm beginning to believe that the framebuffer on the Wii really is a serious bottleneck.
The better comparison would be to the previous Mario Party games - and it looks loads better than those (like it should be, as I said before.)

Those screenshots give a woody every time I view them. This game will be fun. All of you people complaining about online --- get more real life friends.

Shompola

Banned
Graphically it is horrible. But atleast it does look like they are making some serious changes to the game. Nice update.

White Man said:

QFT. Everyone needs to go back and play Mario Sunshine.

But I suppose people would start bitching about what I just said because lots of people hate Mario Sunshine.

NintendosBooger said:
Those screenshots give a woody every time I view them. This game will be fun. All of you people complaining about online --- get more real life friends.

I have plenty of real life friends... they just all say they're too "grown up" for Nintendo minus one or two people.

You'd think Nintendo could get some online in there but I guess their system sucks too much for them to do it decently?

Gigglepoo

NintendosBooger said:
All of you people complaining about online --- get more real life friends.

I don't think you understand the concept of playing online. I generally play with my friends, my real friends, when I am too tired to drive an hour to see them. Does this make sense? It's much more convenient being able to just hop online after a long day than gather a group of people with busy lives together under one roof.

I don't see any reason why a party game couldn't flourish online just like every other genre has.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NintendosBooger said:

In everyone elses defense, its hard finding friends that actually like the Mario Party series

BlueTsunami said:
In everyone elses defense, its hard finding friends that actually like the Mario Party series

I have friends that would love this game. Of course, they must be at the bottom of the social pecking order unlike those hardcore social butterflies that prefer GoW, right?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NintendosBooger said:
I have friends that would love this game. Of course, they must be at the bottom of the social pecking order unlike those hardcore social butterflies that prefer GoW, right?

Social pecking order aside (which is a good point), its still hard

Gigglepoo

NintendosBooger said:
I have friends that would love this game.

Wait a second...

Did you just decide how your friends would feel about a game that isn't even finished yet? I'm not sure I trust your credibility.

Top Bottom