• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party: The Top 100 announced

This is an amazing idea. Don't really give a shit about what system it's on, although no online is a miss.

Bumper Balls and Grab Bag pls!

Stopdoor

I wonder if it's a download title? I can't imagine they'll release a retail copy just with minigames...?

I'm totally down for it but it's weird because there's already 2 Mario Party games on 3DS anyway.

BizzyBum

Even if it's 3DS only which is lame, how the hell does this not have online support?

Top 100 mini-games across all the MP's and no online? Like, just fucking mind boggling shit.

Stopdoor

Even if it's 3DS only which is lame, how the hell does this not have online support?

Top 100 mini-games across all the MP's and no online? Like, just fucking mind boggling shit.

Have you ever played an online minigame collection? Devising online netcode for entirely different mechanics and goals and precision isn't really trivial.

Just saying it might be more than "it's fun to play on the coach".

Cody_D165

Banned
tumblr_inline_okzj8ojoSQ1r76lqg_400.gif

Dan is probably ecstatic.

Giant Bomb should marathon all 100 minigames and keep score 😂😂😂

I don't understand the desire for online multiplayer in this series. The game would definitely suck ass playing with total strangers, as it's been definitively proven these games are luck based broken as fuck toys, and I feel like even with friends it would lose a lot of its charm hearing voices through a speaker instead of right there in the same room.

What's far more bonkers is the fact that this wasn't announced for Switch. Must be prepping a proper installment next year. Also still splitting their console and handheld teams against the entire consolidation ethos that the company has been building to the last 5 years.

This is so damn awesome, but I just cannot care about playing on the 3DS ;'[

Put this on Switch with online play though? Day 0.

Revven

If this doesn't have boards then that just means a theoretical Switch Mario Party could include the best boards from each game + a different set of older mini-games? That's what I would want on the Switch, really.

Shang

Mario Party could easily be a fucking behemoth, regularly doing sales and earning respect akin to Mario Kart. But for some reason, Nintendo treats the series like dogshit, constantly releasing undercooked, tone deaf installments and further damaging the series' tarnished reputation.

Just make one like the first three with online and put it on Switch. That's all you have to do. Work from there.

ironmang

I don't understand the desire for online multiplayer in this series. The game would definitely suck ass playing with total strangers, as it's been definitively proven these games are luck based broken as fuck toys, and I feel like even with friends it would lose a lot of its charm hearing voices through a speaker instead of right there in the same room.

What's far more bonkers is the fact that this wasn't announced for Switch. Must be prepping a proper installment next year. Also still splitting their console and handheld teams against the entire consolidation ethos that the company has been building to the last 5 years.

Losing some of it's charm is better than not being able to play with this friends at all if they don't live close by.

No online
3ds only

Those aren't the problem

A game of only mini games is the disappointment. Why not the best board from each game so have a true mario party highlights.

Buying this day 1. What an amazing idea.

lol. I and many others had this idea like 5 years ago. Probably posted it all over the place. Nintendo definitely follows internet forums.

You win, 3DS. Ultra Moon was going to be the first mainline Pokémon game ever that I will skip as I had moved on from the 3DS, but you win dammit. I'm getting this.

I actually won't be surprised if they bring a similar game to the Switch in the future. Maybe a top 150 also including handheld games and of course boards etc.

_woLf

My biggest problem with this is my friends don't bring their 3DS anywhere anymore, nor do I. Friends bring their Switch.

Buying this to play against only CPUs seems like a waste, and with no online, it's just legitimately one of the biggest wasted opportunities I've seen in a long time.

Really wish this wasn't only mini games. Also I'm sad it is 3DS only. Where was this 3-4 years ago? Mario Party belongs on a TV in a living room with friends.

Deft Beck

Why devise new netcode for a late-gen 3DS release of a series that is historically dependent on not everyone having to own a copy of the game?

Download play over infrastructure is impossible.

My guess is it's because for most people, the Switch has replaced the 3DS as their main portable Nintendo console...

If the recent survey conducted by Nintendo is any indication, most people play their Switch at home.

Chopper

Whilst I am alarmed and disappointed that this won't be available on a console that comes with two controllers packed in with the console, and doesn't appear to have onine capabilities...

I will buy this.

Not enough love for Bumper Balloon cars. Mind games: the minigame.

I've played every single Mario Party extensively and Bumper Balloon Cars is easily in my top 10.

Why devise new netcode for a late-gen 3DS release of a series that is historically dependent on not everyone having to own a copy of the game?

Download play over infrastructure is impossible.

If the recent survey conducted by Nintendo is any indication, most people play their Switch at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case with 3DS, but of course a survey like this was not made.

ShyMel

Meh, not really interested...*Sees the falling ice cream game in the trailer* I've changed my mind. Hopefully Hotel Goomba and the Chainchomp park games are in as well. So many memories playing those with my sister.

Zalman

I'm super into this idea and I will likely buy it. However, yeah... This should've been a full release with classic boards as well.

I wont lie, I got hype seeing the likes of Shy Guy Says, Booksquirm, Pushy Penguins, Bumper Balls, Coney Island, beanstalk and that one face stretching game in the trailer.

But then suddenly, the pokey game where you just mash A, top 100 huh?

Why the heck isn't this on Switch? What a missed opportunity, all of my friends have Switches now and no one brings out their 3DS.
This.

I still have my new XL and all, but whether it be Hey Pikmin, Metroid II, and now this I much rather play games on my Switch moving forward.

The only bad thing is my top 100 and their top 100 probably aren't the same. But I'm hoping most of my faves make it in.
True, but I'm setting the bar lower. Just leave out the annoying "spin the stick" games out of the equation (or whatever you call them), and I'll call it a win.

If there is no online then this is definitely a pass for me. I simply do not understand why they put forth no effort into doing that for this game especially; the people who would most likely fondly look back at these mini-games are adults who would have next to no one to play with locally.

I have no idea who greenlit this with online play being off the table. Who would buy it?

I say this as someone who actually does get together with friends from time to time to play Mario Party. I can't imagine my situation being at all common, though.

My guess is it's because for most people, the Switch has replaced the 3DS as their main portable Nintendo console...

Switch port begging is annoying when it comes to 3rd party stuff, but honestly for 1st party titles I have no idea why most of them aren't also releasing on Switch.

I sold my 3DS to pay for my Switch and a lot of people have moved on from that 2011 device, it just baffles me why Nintendo wouldn't just launch this on both systems.

Vidiot

Yeah, it being 3DS only killed any chance I had of getting this. I don't care much that it isn't online as I still have some gamer buddies that I hang out with from time to time and honestly this is a series nongamers can pick up and play and have a great time. Having a bunch of people with 3DS systems around like never happens for me though. If it was on Switch it would likely be a buy. As a 3DS only game I won't even consider it. Shame. :/

If there is no online then this is definitely a pass for me. I simply do not understand why they put forth no effort into doing that for this game especially; the people who would most likely fondly look back at these mini-games are adults who would have next to no one to play with locally.

I have no idea who greenlit this with online play being off the table. Who would buy it?

I say this as someone who actually does get together with friends from time to time to play Mario Party. I can't imagine my situation being at all common, though.

Or an adult with young kids who'd love this. Like myself :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling we will see the first Switch Mario Party at E3, and I'm betting it has online play.

Giga Man

This is legit the only game I'm mad is not on the Switch. I don't want to play Mario Party on a handheld. However, if this doesn't have boards (or traditional Mario Party board game play), this will get a hard pass regardless.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder what the roster is gonna be---are you just gonna have default characters for each game? Or will you pick a character from perhaps past Mario Party characters and then play the Mini-Games as them?

Would love to see Blooper and Spike back.

Top Bottom