• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 | Classic 2D Events Reveal Trailer

Kazza

Cool idea!

What's the gameplay like in these? Is it a combination of button mashing and timing? I liked those kind of games and wouldn't mind trying another.

Bullet Club

What's the gameplay like in these? Is it a combination of button mashing and timing? I liked those kind of games and wouldn't mind trying another.
It is like that. Or waggle if you play the Wii version.

I played the first one that came out on the DS. It was fun.

iconmaster

Banned
Well now I'm interested.

What's the gameplay like in these? Is it a combination of button mashing and timing?

giphy.gif

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao, thats one interesting idea.

Seeing classic Robotnick and Bowser made my day

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Being impressed by reused sprites is like......that one red letter media video where they talk about rogue one, mostly the intro

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Huh, this made me realize... if the whole game were like this, I'd probably buy it.

I want something like... California Games: Nintendo All-Stars Edition

Katsura

Not gonna lie, the Wii and DS ones were a guilty pleasure of mine. Day one purchase. Now if only they'd bring back the career mode from the winter olympics ds game

Kazza

I’d have felt old if you hadn’t brought up the 2600. It’s the NES Power Pad.

Here's the Japanese story mode trailer.

Ha, I played the Atari well into the 8-bit era, so I'm not that old :messenger_tears_of_joy: (I guess my dad must have gotten it and the games really cheap by that time). The only really strong memory of the console was waggling that damn joystick to make the character faster. Using the palm on the tip of the joystick was normally the best technique (rather than grasping it with your whole hand). But you still had the problem of keeping the rest of the joystick still. You couldhold it down with your other hand, lodge it between your legs, under you armpit - happy times :messenger_beaming:

They are obviously putting a lot of effort into this (probably want to make a good showing as it's tied to the Tokyo olympics). With so many events, I hope they still have enough time to make each one enjoyable.

JimiNutz

Banned
This looks like a lot of fun for sure.
I appreciate the effort they seem to be putting into the game as well. Never owned one of these games but think I may pick this up once I'm done with Luigi's Mansion.

Katsura

Demo is up, at least on the EU store. I'm still sold on it even if i am getting my ass handed to me in the karate event

Katsura

The full version is out. Some initial thoughts after completing story mode

The mini games are very hit and miss. Ranging from fun to horrible. I don't want stealth sections in my sports games, thank you
No option to skip cutscenes. This one sucks. They're too slow as it is
Luigi and Tails are the dumbest characters ever. They get scammed constantly
All in all, it was decent enough and you do unlock some mini games and characters so it was worth it

Some of the events are deceptively deep. That was a very nice surprise
I like how varied they made seemingly similar events
Who knew vidya rugby could be this much fun?

Online didn't work for me at all. Seems like they have server issues but from the menus you can play both ranked and unranked matches

Bottom line is that it exceeded my expectations with only one major issue - no event playlist. This seems like a huge oversight. Why can't i select 8 events and do them back to back?

Top Bottom