• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Battle League is... bad???

Is Mario Strikers Battle League ba

• Total voters

rubenburgt

I was browsing the eShop store looking for a game to purchase. The latest Mario Strikers looked interesting, but before I hit the buy button I better check the reviews first.

I'm glad I did, because Game critics seems to love it, but players seems to dislike it. This is especially noticeable on Metacritic where it has a user score of 4.1.

What happened?
Next Level Games usually makes good games for Nintendo and they were ones who made the original Strikers game.

Is the game truly that bad?
Is this perhaps the first non-main Mario game on the switch that has such a bad score?

Last edited:

Rykan

The developers went overboard on game mechanics and the game is underdeveloped in terms of features. The game is way too busy and turns into a clusterfuck. The game has huge performance and lag issues.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Automatic markdown for having a barebones singleplayer experience.
Yeah that has been impression too. My friends and I have been playing the GC game for years, but in Battle League we beat all the content in like two afternoons and got bored afterwards.
The game has huge performance and lag issues.
Only seen those during goal celebrations. During gameplay it seems to run almost perfectly.

Kimahri

Banned
The developers went overboard on game mechanics and the game is underdeveloped in terms of features. The game is way too busy and turns into a clusterfuck. The game has huge performance and lag issues.
Yeah, this. I hsd to throw in the towel. Just too much going on all the time and learning all the timings for pulling off things you need to do all the time was just too much of a chore for me to be bothered with.

It is stupid complicated for a Nintendo game. It's just stressful, and the fun factor is just not there.

One of the great things about most multiplayer Nintendo games is that they're pretty much pick up and play. Invite some friends over, doesn't matter if they've never played it before. It's easy to understand.

Not Mario Strikers, you'd have to spend an hour trying to teach them the game first.

Bonkers

rubenburgt

They're first party now. They've been so for a couple years, I think.
That's right.
Next Level Games belongs to Nintendo.

I have edited the post.

My friends and I have been playing the GC game for years, but in Battle League we beat all the content in like two afternoons and got bored afterwards.
That bad, huh?

But is the singleplayer really that bad as well?

Calverz

Impression I got from beta and is why I never bought it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is it overly complicated because of the team composition? In the original game, you only had the star player and the rest of the team was a group of koopas or ghosts or whatever. In this new one, everyone on the team is a unique character, right?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
But is the singleplayer really that bad as well?
It's very fun to play, they took the formula of the previous games and added some mechanics to make it a bit less arcade and just a bit more technical. I like it.

The problem is the lack of content. There are like 10 or 12 cups, each of them with only 3 matches. Also the first half of those cups are piss easy, so you are left with just 5 or 6 cups which you can beat in a few hours.

No career, no leagues, no custom tournaments. Just the bare minimum.

Yumi

It's very fun to play, they took the formula of the previous games and added some mechanics to make it a bit less arcade and just a bit more technical. I like it.

The problem is the lack of content. There are like 10 or 12 cups, each of them with only 3 matches. Also the first half of those cups are piss easy, so you are left with just 5 or 6 cups which you can beat in a few hours.

No career, no leagues, no custom tournaments. Just the bare minimum.
Yikes. That is pretty bare. Kind of a shame. I like the idea of the core gameplay having some depth. But with a being so focused on multiplayer, it has to compete with a bunch of other Nintendo games that I can see people wanting to play multiplayer instead (I.e. smash bros, Mario kart).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, this. I hsd to throw in the towel. Just too much going on all the time and learning all the timings for pulling off things you need to do all the time was just too much of a chore for me to be bothered with.

It is stupid complicated for a Nintendo game. It's just stressful, and the fun factor is just not there.

One of the great things about most multiplayer Nintendo games is that they're pretty much pick up and play. Invite some friends over, doesn't matter if they've never played it before. It's easy to understand.

Not Mario Strikers, you'd have to spend an hour trying to teach them the game first.

Bonkers
But it’s football. (The real football not hand egg) kick ball in net more times than other team to win. How can/did they screw that up ?

It's Street Fighter 5. A good game, but completely bare-bones at launch.

Nintendo is doing this with their sports titles - releasing a third of a game, so they can keep the game in the headlines each time they drip feed content that should have been there at launch.

Batiman

Banned
It got that the half ass Nintendo treatment like a lot of their IPs. Mario tennis, Mario party, Mario golf etc. I love Nintendo and they do put out a lot of stuff, but it’s sad only a few of their IPs get the Zelda, Mainline Mario treatment. If anything those two IPs seem like the only ones that get the full on AAA treatment. I just got Kirby last week and it’s surprisingly pretty great though

TintoConCasera

its auto shit for Nintendo charging full price for a game with no content.
I don't know if it's them not giving two fucks about the singlelayer content, or actually doing it on purpose to make the online subscription more appealing for those that have bought the game.

It's a shit scenario in both cases, and I hope to see it change in future releases.

nikos

The gameplay is good, which is what matters. It's easy to play but difficult to master.

People are complaining that there isn't enough single player content, which is really stupid. It's a competitive game in 2022. Who wants to play vs AI when you can play against people? I'm glad Nintendo focused more on multiplayer. The only issue is a lot of people have horrible internet connections.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
But it’s football. (The real football not hand egg) kick ball in net more times than other team to win. How can/did they screw that up ?
They made the controls necessary for passing, shooting, charging shots, overly complicated, plus, I can't tell where the ball is most of the time. It's a visual chaos.

rubenburgt

People are complaining that there isn't enough single player content, which is really stupid. It's a competitive game in 2022. Who wants to play vs AI when you can play against people? I'm glad Nintendo focused more on multiplayer.
But why not have both?
Why only focus on one or the other?

Technology has advanced so much since the GameCube era. Having both should be possible, right?

Hestar69

Its god awful. Me and a friend played it and it's so bare bones..Also, the unskippable stuff is highly annoying.After a few games we went back to the GC game and had alot more fun...

Kinda sad how nintnedo half asses some of their games,especially their sports titles.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Nintendo discovered that selling a game barebones on launch and drip feeding content for few years is cheaper and sells more.

Top Bottom