• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars | OT | another NeoGAF thread about tipping!

maxcriden

FB3fvPm.png

GP81kG3.png

Developer: Nintendo Software Technology (NST)
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii U, 3DS
Players: 1
Price: $19.99 (comes with FREE cross-buy code for the platform you did not purchase the game on)
Release Date: March 5th (NA), March 19th (JP), March 20 (EU)
Official Website: http://mariovsdk.nintendo.com/
Special Thanks: kubus for making the terrific OT images! :)
Psst: if you have an extra cross-buy code you don't want, consider selling it in the NeoGAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread!​

xfV7nxW.png

Get that ‘aha!’ feeling over and over as you guide Minis – toy versions of Nintendo characters - to the exit in each puzzling stage. Tap objects—like bridges and springs—with the stylus to perfect your strategy. You can create, play and share stages online, and use the new tipping system to reward your favorite creators and unlock more content!*

Donkey Kong’s rivalry with Mario™ has reignited in an all-out puzzle challenge! Tackle tricky stages, each filled with clever obstacles: girders, spiked floors, wind-up enemies, warp pipes, conveyer belts and more! You can make your own levels and share your creations online.* As you beat levels, you can earn stars, then cash in those stars to earn new parts for level creation. If you like a level someone built, tip them some stars and they’ll be able to create more imaginative levels using the stars you tipped them! As a bonus, anyone who buys the Wii U version will receive a free download code for the Nintendo 3DS version, and vice versa!**
• More than 80 puzzling stages to solve and master
• Create your own levels and share them worldwide with others through Miiverse!*
• Reward creators who make your favorite levels using the all-new tipping system*
• Unlock additional workshop tools using tips received from other players
• Share and play levels cross-platform between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions**
• Players who buy one version will receive a free download code for the other version!**
• Earn special stamps to customize your posts in the Miiverse community

Info on 100 FREE additional levels added 2 per wk (via Tom's Guide):

Nintendo will also be releasing two additional levels every week for the next 50 (!) weeks, for a grand total of
levels.

Info on version differences via Game Informer's review:

The Wii U version has better visuals and sound, and the gamepad provides more real estate to work with on its larger touchscreen. In fact, most of the levels are slightly tweaked to accommodate the widescreen picture as opposed to the 3DS’s 4:3 touchscreen. The 3DS version has the advantage of portability. Fortunately, players won’t have to choose as they’ll get both versions of the game with their purchase.

nYbDclv.png

Game Informer: 8/10

While Tipping Stars could use a few more new elements to freshen things up overall, the levels remain enjoyable nonetheless. The lack of extraneous minigames and boss battles keeps the focus where it should be – right on the puzzles.

Super Phillip Central: B-

With double the price of the last downloadable Mario vs. Donkey Kong games and few new features to make the price worth it, it's hard to fully recommend Tipping Stars at full price. There is indeed plenty of content and replay value to be had, but it's all coated under a layer of sameness. As a product all to itself, Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars delivers clever puzzles, plenty of challenges for the reflexes and the brain, and loads of longevity for creative types to create their own levels. If the aspect of having new levels created by the community or by your own is something you can get behind, then Tipping Stars is a good pickup. It just depends on whether the price of entry appeals to you or not. For many, it decidedly may not.

Destructoid: 5/10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars is not bad. It is essentially Mini-Land Mayhem! with visual and technical upgrades. It never instills any sense of wonder or accomplishment, and it often feels more like work than play. It's a very paint-by-numbers affair; for a puzzle game it doesn't actually require much thinking, only doing. It is a game that exists, and that's about as much as there is to say about it.

More reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-vs-donkey-kong-tipping-stars

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/mario-vs-donkey-kong-tipping-stars

c7xm5RG.png

wuY0fOd.png

samn

Your screenshots, videos and reviews headings are in the wrong order. (Good OT though)

Hope the review scores improve, 5/10 from Destructoid =/

TheMoon

Weirdly this is the first Mario vs DK game I'm actually excited to play.

Great looking OT, max!

edit: yea, except for those headers lol sort out the order!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Is the cross platform thing tied to your NNID? Probably going to buy this on Wii U but not too fussed playing it on my 3DS, could I give the 3DS version to my brother instead?

Is the cross platform thing tied to your NNID? Probably going to buy this on Wii U but not too fussed playing it on my 3DS, could I give the 3DS version to my brother instead?

Yeah. The extra version is given as a code. Just send that code to your brother and he gets the 3DS version

Yes, EU Nintendo Direct even encourages users to gift some copies. Basicaly, what are you getting is the download code for the second version being written in the order information.

maxcriden

Your screenshots, videos and reviews headings are in the wrong order. (Good OT though)

Hope the review scores improve, 5/10 from Destructoid =/

Weirdly this is the first Mario vs DK game I'm actually excited to play.

Great looking OT, max!

edit: yea, except for those headers lol sort out the order!

Sorry about that. I had to post from work and imgur is banned so I had to kind of guess blindly. It should be fixed now. Thanks!

The set-up of the OP is so confusing

Hopefully you mean the images only, which should be fixed. Sorry :)

Can i share levels between systems?
Like, i share a level on WiiU, 3ds crowd can get it?

Yes but, * Some user-generated levels may behave differently across hardware. If you are having difficulty completing a particular level, please confirm which device it was designed on (displayed on the creator’s profile) to ensure you’re having the appropriate gameplay experience.*

OP you are missing official website http://mariovsdk.nintendo.com/

Wait, this comes out today?
Going to download it when I get home.

Much of Nintendo's target market are kids without credit cards. Retail is important even for digital downloads.
Even with that, you can buy $20 eShop cards in stores. Seems like a waste of space to make a box instead of a card.

The Boat

I'm having fun with the game, but I need to play a bit more and wait until the online is working to launch a review. The destructoid reviewer saying you don't need to think makes me wonder if he played past the first worlds.

maxcriden

OP you are missing official website http://mariovsdk.nintendo.com/

Perhaps the OP could be updated with the info that Nintendo apparently will add 2 new levels each week for 50 weeks, according to this:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nintendo-mario-tipping-stars-hands-on,news-20576.html

Added, thanks guys!

I'm having fun with the game, but I need to play a bit more and wait until the online is working to launch a review. The destructoid reviewer saying you don't need to think makes me wonder if he played past the first worlds.

I was very surprised to read that. Usually these games get pretty tough.

kubus

Aw man I didn't know it was out today - I thought tomorrow! (D'oh, it's an eShop title...)

Now I feel extra guilty for being late with providing the OT pictures ;~; so sorry Max! >_<

The Boat

Added, thanks guys!

I was very surprised to read that. Usually these games get pretty tough.
I'm only at world 5 and it hasn't been super hard so far, but it's ramping up, I definitely had to stop and think for a while quite a few times. Building stages is really, really great. The thought process behind creating a reasonably playable level is very interesting.

maxcriden

Aw man I didn't know it was out today - I thought tomorrow! (D'oh, it's an eShop title...)

Now I feel extra guilty for being late with providing the OT pictures ;~; so sorry Max! >_<

Oh, don't feel guilty at all, I really appreciate your help immensely! And, here it is before the game's even up on the eShop, so it's all good :)

It is a unique case because it is getting a retail release in EU/JP I think.
EU is a code in a box from what I heard.

It is easy to forget that it is an eShop release.
Looking forward to playing user created levels. I will definitely share mine.

Pila

I kinda want this game, guess I'll buy it when it will release here in Europe.

Missed maxcriden threads. =)

I kinda want this game, guess I'll buy it when it'll release here in Europe.

Missed maxcriden threads. =)
If you do not want the 3DS version, I will gladly buy your EU code.

I will be buying Wii U, but I don't want to upgrade my XL for this game. Ugh...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
looking for it on Wii U.
If someone will be interested in my 3DS code (EU) I could trade it for eshop credit.

Pila

If you do not want the 3DS version, I will gladly buy your EU code.

I will be buying Wii U, but I don't want to upgrade my XL for this game. Ugh...

I know some people with a 3DS so I guess I'll gift them my spare code :) I'll send you a PM if they don't give a shit about it. ^^

I know some people with a 3DS so I guess I'll gift them my spare code :) I'll send you a PM if they don't give a shit about it. ^^
Sounds good. I am in the odd place because I got a NA Wii U and a PAL n3DS.
Damn region locked codes!

This series looks neat, but I'll pass. I'm just not that much of a strategy guy, and haven't found a lot of time for gaming as of late.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hey, this is fantastic series. It's the closest thing to Lemmings 2015 as we're going to get. I loved playing the DS version of this back in the day. It's a nice, easygoing experience.

Platy

Those free levels ... if I take 2 weeks to get the game I lost those 2 weeks of levels or I will receive when I get the game ?

bumpkin

$19.99? Damn, I only have like $9 in my eShop account. No retailers are doing x% off on eShop cards right now, are they? :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The inclusion of the Super Mario Bros 2 world clear jingle makes me happy. One of my favourite level complete jingles, it's even my notification tone on my phone.

Top Bottom