• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny reveals the M.2 SSD he bought for his PS5

Topher

Gold Member
So a mod gave me a warning because I wrote "what a mess of a console" lol what a bunch of pussies can't take criticism of their precious playstation. I guess this site is just resetera for gaystation fans.

Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

over a warning?

Blond

Banned
of course WD. They have a commercial agreement.
WD also sells "GAME DRIVES" for years which are just normal usb drives
They sell the Black drives which are rated differently. If you look at spinning hard drives they all have ratings which give them an idea of their expected life span in this sense Black > Blue > Green in terms of performance and life expectancy. Right now we’re dealing with hard drive failures almost daily at work because well, surprise surprise, drives rated to spin 8 hours a day for 5 years are reaching that.

rofif

Banned
They sell the Black drives which are rated differently. If you look at spinning hard drives they all have ratings which give them an idea of their expected life span in this sense Black > Blue > Green in terms of performance and life expectancy. Right now we’re dealing with hard drive failures almost daily at work because well, surprise surprise, drives rated to spin 8 hours a day for 5 years are reaching that.
2.5" are all 5200rpm. Even game or black.

Blond

Banned
2.5" are all 5200rpm. Even game or black.
Not true.

Game drives are WD blue that have additional mechanism like head parking.

Their blacks have a larger cache and better read/write speeds, additionally because blacks are built for heavier work loads their enclosure’s have physical heat dissipation.

Game drives are 5400rpm while back 7200rpm, one’s going to the work site with flip flops and the other steel toe boots.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Not true.

Game drives are WD blue that have additional mechanism like head parking.

Their blacks have a larger cache and better read/write speeds, additionally because blacks are built for heavier work loads their enclosure’s have physical heat dissipation.

Game drives are 5400rpm while back 7200rpm, one’s going to the work site with flip flops and the other steel toe boots.
what not true I said that 2.5" drives. no matter if blue, black or game drive are all 5200rpm and that is true. At least I havewd black drive here and it's just a normal external drive with fancy fake enclousure

WitchHunter

Now SSDs have heatsinks. Just a matter of years and they will need fans, just like GPUs. Wondering when will they get LEDs?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Now SSDs have heatsinks. Just a matter of years and they will need fans, just like GPUs. Wondering when will they get LEDs?
I could be wrong, but I believe the versions of the WD SN850 with built on heat sink have RGB lighting:

"Long load times are obsolete with next-gen PCIe® Gen4 technology. Arm your system with RGB lighting, an optional heatsink model, and up to 2TB1 capacity."

"Enhance your gaming station with fully customizable RGB lighting controlled through the downloadable WD_BLACK™ Dashboard (Windows® only), designed to match your style."

"Customizable RGB lighting (Windows® Only) programmable with the WD_BLACK™ Dashboard (heatsink model only)"

WitchHunter

I could be wrong, but I believe the versions of the WD SN850 with built on heat sink have RGB lighting:

"Long load times are obsolete with next-gen PCIe® Gen4 technology. Arm your system with RGB lighting, an optional heatsink model, and up to 2TB1 capacity."

"Enhance your gaming station with fully customizable RGB lighting controlled through the downloadable WD_BLACK™ Dashboard (Windows® only), designed to match your style."

"Customizable RGB lighting (Windows® Only) programmable with the WD_BLACK™ Dashboard (heatsink model only)"
Oh jesus... end of the world is already here.

Top Bottom