• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny reveals the M.2 SSD he bought for his PS5

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Looks like this is another 4TB possibility at $999.99 U.S. w/o heat sink:

Max Sequential Read: Up to 7000 MBps
Max Sequential Write: Up to 6850 MBps

ManaByte

Gold Member
$999.99 U.S. w/o heat sink
No Way GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I like being able to choose from a large selection of NVMEs instead of being stuck with one expensive option.

But that's just me.

Edit: Just to give you an example. The drive that I'm looking at is 100$. I don't have that option with the Series drive but I will admit that it's more convenient. Not worth the extra 100$+ dollars though in my opinion.
I visit my friend all the time and bring my Xbox expansion card with me. I can play any of the 20+ games on the drive at his house and it takes seconds to sync them up. I was able to do that with a couple of my friends actually. The options seem to serve different purposes. I can see your point of an option to choose the drive you want but I also have the option to bring my games to my friends and not need any tools to do so. Also I'd be surprised if just pulling the drive out of a PS5 would work for transport seeing how the system doesn't even like it when you disconnect an external drive without turning it off. It is certainly not hot swappable.

Is your $100 option the same capacity as the Xbox one? If so that is significant savings no doubt. I've not seen that level of price disparity before. Both options have their purpose.

Urban

Surely it is even faster to have it installed already though? Maybe it is cheaper not having to do so, but everyone has different value systems. Even when I can get a gigabit connection, which will hopefully be soon, I'm still going to want more storage capacity, I'm just a lazy bastard.
I was the same bro. Once you go 1GB you’ll never go back. I download my games on steam all the time. Never let anything installed (only the ones I play all the time)

Is your $100 option the same capacity as the Xbox Series X? If so that is significant savings no doubt. I've not seen that level of price disparity before. Both options have their purpose

Nope because i don't need 1TB. 512GBs is enough for me and those drives are around 100$. Some of them I've seen as low as 80$ but the one I want is around 100$. Those are the nice options that I'm talking about.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This is the the solution. It meets my needs as someone who doesn't want to have a ton of games installed and your needs as someone who does. Where is the flaw?
Digital or physical, you still have to install, and you know that many games already occupy more than 100 GB.

MastaKiiLA

WD and Sammy are the best choice for PC. Makes sense to go with it for the PS5. That said, by next year, it'll make more sense to go with a cheaper brand, as the PCI bus will end up being a bottleneck. You're probably already at the point of diminishing returns now. I think they can all flood the bus.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I dropped this link in the other SSD thread as well

I watched the video. On the whole, I do agree with what he's explaining. My only guesses about why Sony "dropped the ball" as per his words on as to why there isn't a compatibility list for the drives and heat sinks are:
• The software is still in beta and they won't release a list until the proper release of the OS update.
* This doesn't really excuse the comment about them not proving a list of drives for beta testers to use.
• They never said they'd be providing a list of heat sinks
• They're waiting until they've officially tested and verified the drives which meet their requirements to earn that approval. It could be a quantity of drives thing, or some other reason as well, who knows. One thing is for sure, if they vet some drive is OK to use, and it bricks machines, there will be a class action suit, so, they will want to avoid that.

Beyond that, I have no guesses as to why they haven't released a drive compatibility list.

Stooky

I watched the video. On the whole, I do agree with what he's explaining. My only guesses about why Sony "dropped the ball" as per his words on as to why there isn't a compatibility list for the drives and heat sinks are:
• The software is still in beta and they won't release a list until the proper release of the OS update.
* This doesn't really excuse the comment about them not proving a list of drives for beta testers to use.
• They're waiting until they've officially tested and verified the drives which meet their requirements to earn that approval. It could be a quantity of drives thing, or some other reason as well, who knows. One thing is for sure, if they vet some drive is OK to use, and it bricks machines, there will be a class action suit, so, they will want to avoid that.

Beyond that, I have no guesses as to why they haven't released a drive compatibility list.
Pretty obvious that many people have no clue what a beta test is..........

Last edited:
You forget that a lot of people have data caps.
I think that the problem has bene somewhat solved even for them, when Sony has enabled the possibilità to store PS5 games on an external device, so pepe with data caps could Always juggle games between internal SSD and external Hdd

I think that he was refering to Sony obviously having tested several SSD's before opening the Beta and not releasing a white/black list. So his Idea of a beta was allowing people to add and test external storage from a group of approved or soon to be approved drives.

Sony did put disclaimers about buying SSD's but I do believe they knew what was going to happen after they unlocked that drive bay with no recomendations . It is kind of irrisponsible of sony to allow its user base to do the heavy lifting on hardware testing. Software is one thing but HW is a new one for me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looks like this is another 4TB possibility at $999.99 U.S. w/o heat sink:

Max Sequential Read: Up to 7000 MBps
Max Sequential Write: Up to 6850 MBps

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

Gamerguy84

Just a note. Read the warranty info of thr drive you want to buy. I've found most come with 5 year limited warranty but we all know how companies like to wiggle out of that.

Limited being you have to purchase from an authorized retailer and not a reseller. Also sometimes you have to register your drive from the date you get it or that 5 year drops to a 1 year out of box.

I've bought several sabrent rocket drives that had this. I just checked WD BLACK SN850 and it comes 5 year limited warranty.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was the same bro. Once you go 1GB you’ll never go back. I download my games on steam all the time. Never let anything installed (only the ones I play all the time)
Sort of unrelated, but are your Steam downloads slow for you? I get 230 down, but Steam maxes out at like 70mbps.

small_law

WD and Sammy are the best choice for PC. Makes sense to go with it for the PS5. That said, by next year, it'll make more sense to go with a cheaper brand, as the PCI bus will end up being a bottleneck. You're probably already at the point of diminishing returns now. I think they can all flood the bus.
This. Internal storage is probably capped at around 5500 Mbps, so I expect any NVMe SSD to be at or near the same rate. Maybe you can benefit from having a larger drive so the storage controller has more modules to access (it's why larger capacity SSDs tend to benchmark better than smaller capacity versions of the same model), but that also depends upon how the drive is designed.

My worry is firmware updates. I've got a 2TB 980 Pro on the way, both M.2 slots on my PC are being used, and I don't want to take the drives out. I actually ordered a PCIe NVMe card so I can run a quick firmware update. I'm willing to bet a lot of people ordering drives are just going to pop them in the PS5 once they can without updating the firmware.

kingfey

Banned
Is this bricking people's console?
Just saw crap gamer complaining about the SsD bricking his console.
I dont trust this guy, since he always flip flops withy console wars?

If anyone on beta can tell me, is it safe to use the SSD? I might get 1 for my little brother? I dont want to damage his ps5.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With heat sink. Lots of 500GB left. All of the 1TB are sold out everywhere. W and WO heat sink. I got lucky and reserved a 1TB heat sink one the night before.

How is everything sold out with every electronic device and/or component?

Good luck. When I tried to get one on Amazon on Friday they were already sold out thanks to scalpers. I went direct through WD, got it for 10% off and had it the next day. But thanks to Cerny's Tweet the bots are now hitting WDs site direct.
How do you know that al does PS5's where all bought by scalpers? Have you any proof of that?
I live in the Netherlands, i was on the list by three companies for a PS5 early Jan this year.
It was a long time. I got lucky, my PS5 is on his way. With a bit of luck i will have it this friday.I am a very very happy happy person right now!😃😃

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, the internal is 667GB, but this one is pure 1TB. So it's nearly twice the existing storage. To me If I ever upgrade I would go 512GB-1TB max. Not upgrading anytime soon though.
My plan is to go 1TB soon-ish. Then if I feel the need in a couple of years, rip that out and put it in a PC or maybe an external enclosure (if they exist) and go for a 2TB.

That's the beauty of it being an open standard, I can re-use it. With my XSX expansion card I have little re-usability value if I ever want (or am ever allowed to by MS) opt for a larger option.

KaiserBecks

That's the beauty of it being an open standard, I can re-use it. With my XSX expansion card I have little re-usability value if I ever want (or am ever allowed to by MS) opt for a larger option.
That‘s the beauty of it basically being a Memory Card though. You don‘t have to stop using it if you pick up another one. It‘s like swapping a USB stick.

Top Bottom