• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Ecko: DS more fun than 360

CO_Andy

The following was taken from the June issue of Play Magazine.
Play: You're obviously a huge gamer. What are some of your favorite titles?

Ecko: I've been obsessed with games since childhood. Favorite titles... where do i begin? Atari, Colecovision, i had all of them. Yar's Revenge, whatever. The NES Mario, Sega's Sonic, of course. I remember being immediately hooked by Metal Gear Solid, and on PS2 GTA3. Lately i've been playing a lot of DS games, i've found found a lot of them more fun than the Xbox 360 launch titles. Although i have to admit Fight Night 3 is amazing. I could go on for days, i have billions of games. Oh yeah, World of Warcraft is beginning to ruin my life.

As far as urban games go, Mark Ecko's Getting Up is one of the most critically-acclaimed (although Ecko himself stated he doesn't like to label his game as such). Guess it pays to be an avid gamer...

Polari

He has a point you know. Not commenting directly on the 360, but DS has easily been my most-played console since I bought it. Compare that to the GBA which sat on my bookshelf for months at a time.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
CO_Andy said:
The following was taken from the June issue of Play Magazine.

As far as urban games go, Mark Ecko's Getting Up is one of the most critically-acclaimed (although Ecko himself stated he doesn't like to label his game as such). Guess it pays to be an avid gamer...

Where is the acclaim for Getting Up coming from? Cause it surely hasn't been any of the reviews I've seen...

Amir0x

Banned
this man is awesome, he totally turned the gaming world on its ear with his rad innovative gameplay concepts and incredible edgy storytelling.

more games should be like GETTING UP

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
He totally sounds like a gamer. I can, like, only find 4-5 good **** ups in just that quote!

Amir0x

Banned
Ristamar said:
Should I know the name Mark Ecko...?

He made one of the greatest games of last generation, the spraypainting/viva la revolution sim MARK ECKO'S GETTING UP: CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE

you should seriously rent it if you haven't already

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You guys are such liars, all the cool hardcore gamers like drohne know that the PSP is much more fun then the DS.

Edit: Also this Mark Ecko guy seems to be a non-gamer.

Fusebox

Banned
Pfft, dont you noobs even know?! ALL hardcore graffers design their pieces on Pictochat before going out and spraying them on a wall.

Worthles oppinion of a marketed faux rebel designer FTW.
Whoowee, lets market us some rebellion, yeah, fight the power, down with the man, free your mind and all that jazz.
Now where did I leave my Che(Guevara, not Chou) poster?

Sigh

demi

Fishie flop oog said:
Worthles oppinion of a marketed faux rebel designer FTW.
Whoowee, lets market us some rebellion, yeah, fight the power, down with the man, free your mind and all that jazz.
Now where did I leave my Che(Guevara, not Chou) poster?

Sigh

He tagged Air Force One. Wish I could say the same for you.

OWNZORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

dextran said:
I could care less what Ecko plays.

Exactly.

Ecko thinks he's an artist, but his oeuvre of work--his clothes, his video game, his magazine--show me he's mediocre at best. Probably more of a savvy businessman than a talented guy, but I really could care less about his opinion on gaming.

demi said:
He tagged Air Force One. Wish I could say the same for you.

OWNZORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

only not. he "tagged" a plane he had rented and painted to look like air force one. :(

I'm awaiting the backlash of young urban morons trying to get near air force one and getting gunned down by secret service.

demi

Chris Michael said:
Wait, I thought Getting Up was suckage? Or is my sarcasm detector not working?

It has a great premise/atmosphere, if only the fighting wasn't completely crippled. And the spraypainting is horrible executed.

only not. he "tagged" a plane he had rented and painted to look like air force one.
dur.

No dude, it's real.

pj

Banned
He seemed pretty cool in the OPM interview I just read. You could tell he definately cared about his game, and didn't just slap his name on it. Hopefully he learns from it and makes a good game next time..

pj325is said:
He seemed pretty cool in the OPM interview I just read. You could tell he definately cared about his game, and didn't just slap his name on it. Hopefully he learns from it and gets away from the game industry forever...

swoon

it would of been a lot better if you could listen to your ipod (or at least listen to sinnerman) during the game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This is the 3rd of 4th time I've seen marc ecko hate on GAF and I just don't understand it. I've seen several video interviews with him where he's talking about videogames and he's always been fairly articulate, and very passionate. Doubly so when he's talking about graffiti culture and rights to free expression.

I can take or leave his clothing... I think I own one Ecko T-Shirt and that's from years ago, but why all the bashing? What did he do to you? He genuinely cares about videogames and doesn't view the medium as a cash-in (50 cent, wu tang, etc), and made a decent, if unspectacular, debut title.

Mrbob

sp0rsk said:
hes right though, bunch of turds on the 360

Not any worse than the DS first 10 months.

Actually, the first 6 months 360 lineup crushes the first 10 months for the DS. Worst 10 months for a system evar.

DS lineup still isn't that great. It is better than the PSPs lineup, but this isn't really saying much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BudokaiMR2 said:
Fixed again ;p

*sigh* I`m looking for Gundam 0079 near my office today, and I`ve found 5 pachislot parlors, but not a single arcade. ****ing Sanda.

CO_Andy

GDJustin said:
This is the 3rd of 4th time I've seen marc ecko hate on GAF and I just don't understand it. I've seen several video interviews with him where he's talking about videogames and he's always been fairly articulate, and very passionate.
Yeah, i don't get all the hate. All the praise around here lately seems to be going to Cliffy "generic-looking-marine-shooter" B or David "F-bomb" Jaffe. At least Marc Ecko's Getting Up was somewhat original... and the guy didn't curse at all in the interview.

sharkie

angel%20puppet1.jpg

I must have this

Top Bottom