• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Kern boycotts WOW Classic over Blizzard's PRC kowtow, vows to NEVER take Epic moneyhat

Xisiqomelir

1271e4a0737e16aae7d5023e4c3d367a.png

20eb8cc8804c536113a6f46e9161c0f9.png

ad22659f7ced2296c8db7be28dcff4e9.png

Original
Archive

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
"This cash was and is used to do expand and buy up stakes in US gaming companies."
Namely, Epic.

"I’ve seen firsthand the corruption of Chinese gaming companies, and I was removed from a company I founded (after Blizzard) for refusing to take a 2 million dollar kickback bribe to take an investment from China."

"I’ve also seen how American company reps in China have been offered similar bribes to get licenses for large AAA titles."
Whores

"But now we are in a situation where unlimited Communist money dictates our American values. We censor our games for China, we censor our movies for China."
I've noticed this with Hollywood. In contrast to 90s-00s Weinstein culture, Hollywood now is making movies where I'm surprised how "clean" they are. Wouldn't be surprised if the "Me-too" shit in itself was really a push to dislodge American power players.

I haven't played games via Epic Launcher since the UT Alpha and Shadow Complex were main tabs. However, I'm a huge fan of the Unreal Engine and capabilities it gives to even indie devs. Sad to realize even that push, too, is just commies throwing cash.

lukilladog

Don´t worry Mark Kern (whoever you are) about being ethnically chinese, race is no a thing.

Ps.- And you didn´t evolve from Homo Erectus separately from the rest of human kind :p

Last edited:
Fuck China, Fuck Tencent which is China in and of itself, Fuck Activision and Fuck Time Sweeney. Just all of you wait until the usual Tencent/Epic/China defense force starts defending them.

That's a lot of fucks.

Really enjoy reading Mark's twitter over the past few years. Has a handle on CurrentYear() stuff. Glad he's taking this approach. His first take was a bit ambivalent at first but couldn't blame him. Blizz was/is huge to him.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's not just Video Games they invest in now.

They have some stake in Manchester City Football Club as well, and have been trying to out-buy players in the English Premier League for years (to variable success).

I think they are trying to dictate our Democratic ways using the Capitalist culture we live on.
It's a smart strategy. We pushed the USSR to its economic limits to crash their culture. China is attempting to do the same to us through subversion via our entertainment industry.

It's a smart strategy. We pushed the USSR to its economic limits to crash their culture. China is attempting to do the same to us through subversion via our entertainment industry.

It is a smart strategy, although the implications will be huge in the long run for many countries as well as the US.

It's a little concerning this time though as the previous time was done over the Space Race/Nuclear Advancements (to which I wish we never did for the latter).

The Chinese Government are supposed to be Communist, but they are using Capitalistic means of investing in Foreign Companies to dictate a narrative.

I don't think it will work as the Country's Purchasing Power seems to be spread thin across different Countries to keep doing this indefiniately, in addition to the smaller birth rates that some Asian Countries seem to be suffering from also (Japan, Korea etc), due to their own silly laws and customs in regards to marrying, sex and having children. (the one child policy and favouring boys to girls is going to cripple them within 20 to 30 years)

At this rate, I think China are trying to destroy our way of life before theirs crumble in the next few decades with the influence.

Pejo

Damn, that is a series of tweets I actually respect and agree with, never thought I'd see the day. Good on this dude. Despite me having quite a bit of fun in WoW Classic, I'm also going to unsub. It's a drop in the pond so to speak, but its better than doing nothing.

Vawn

Banned
I can't believe American companies are bowing to demands of a communist government shamelessly for the bottom line.

99% of the time when I hear people boycotting video game companies I think they are being dramatic. Blizzard is taking earning a spot in that other 1%.

I can't believe American companies are bowing to demands of a communist government shamelessly for the bottom line.

99% of the time when I hear people boycotting video game companies I think they are being dramatic. Blizzard is taking earning a spot in that other 1%.

The same companies who have emboldened them by giving up IP and money freely for access to cheap labor and the chinese market.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Trump was right about corporations.

Last edited:
I don't know, its a company/corporation -- why people think companies should act as a hive-mind and have political opinions is fucking weird. It is all or nothing, people are just outraged because its an opinion they strongly disagree with.

You know for fuck sure that if it was a kid at the tournament saying, "I'm just happy to be in America where Trump is my leader" or some shit, people would be demanding Blizzard arrest them. You just got to have a blanket statement on all political messages and try to remain neutral to the best of your ability.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know, its a company/corporation -- why people think companies should act as a hive-mind and have political opinions is fucking weird. It is all or nothing, people are just outraged because its an opinion they strongly disagree with.

You know for fuck sure that if it was a kid at the tournament saying, "I'm just happy to be in America where Trump is my leader" or some shit, people would be demanding Blizzard arrest them. You just got to have a blanket statement on all political messages and try to remain neutral to the best of your ability.
They do have an opinion courtesy of their social media post on Weibo. Read that last sentence.

VDvfz9S.png

Their opinion is licking that communist party boot.

As you can see they aren't neutral to the best of their ability.

Chinese Representatives visiting Blizzard HQ this week as a gesture of appreciation for their loyalty to the PRC:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRANSCRIPT
Chinese Ambassador: "DING DONG, HERRO!"

Jeff Kaplan: "Her---I mean Hello!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*To Be Continued at BlizzCon 2019*

Last edited:
Top Bottom