• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Pacini Interview: "Retro Studios will take a break from the Metroid Series"

lancubap

That's a video interview:

Interview with Mark Pacini, Director of metroid Prime 3 Corruption

First, he speaks about Metroid Prime 3: the development, the console, what's new with the controller, ecc. But the interesting thing it's at the end:

Mark pacini said:
We are taking a break from Metroid Series and from Samus. So, I think there will be sure other titles created. But as far as Retro Studos is concerned, we'll take a break for a little bit.

Discuss ! What could be their next game ?

Edit: more interviews (thanks to Ziran)

ziran said:
Some more great interviews with Retro:

G4

link: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/678854/Developer_Interviews_Metroid_Prime_3.html

direct dl:

Mark Pacini, Director of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption: http://media.g4tv.com/videoDB/017/642/video17642/metroidprime-markpacini_flv.flv

Micheal Kelbaugh, president of Retro Studios:http://media.g4tv.com/videoDB/017/644/video17644/metroidprime_michaelkelbaugh_flvsm.flv

Brian Walker(Senior producer of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption:http://media.g4tv.com/videoDB/017/643/video17643/metroidprime_bryanwalker_flvsm.flv

Gamespot

link: http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidprime3/news.html?sid=6177914

Michael Kelbaugh Interview:

direct dl: (non-member but slow): http://download2.gamespot.com/sd/eZ...007/08/169_retrostudios_vf_wii1_082907_hr.wmv

The one from GS is especially good. Kelbaugh (President and CEO) has some great things to say about Retro's design philosophy:

Micheal Kelbaugh said:
We are a Nintendo studio. When I think of who made Metroid Prime 3 I think of the Metroid Prime team. I don't really think of Retro as an individual entity, of our friends at Nintendo as an individual entity, I think of the Metroid Prime team. Some of that team happens to be in Japan, some of it happens to be in Redmond Washington, and we all get together a lot to make great games."

"Retro is Nintendo and we are constantly held to that same bar that EAD is held to."

"I really want to stress it's a team effort. It's not Retro's ideas and NCL's ideas, it's really how do we make the best game, how do we utilise everybody's skills to the best."

"We don't consider ourselves a Western developer. We consider ourselves a Nintendo developer, we just happen to be in Texas."

All of this makes sense, you can really feel that synergy when you play the Prime games. Retro Studios really is an incredible developer, they're one of the best.

Haunted

oooh, interesting. With Prime done, I have no idea what they'll tackle next.

in before Mithos Yggdrasil.
edit: :lol damnit! I knew you'd jump on this.

loosus

Banned
I think they're crazy for not having done it earlier. If they did, we could've been playing something original this past Monday.

Jacobi

Banned
Finaaaaaaally. I never liked Metroid (also prime), so this is really cool. I hope they aren't ordered to make the next Wii Sports or something like this.

What I'd like to see from them is an original IP, I don't really have anymore wishes. But please don't continue on that Raven RPG or that monster truck game, these would be pretty boring...

pswii60

Raven Blade?

Whatever it is, it's probably already been in planning for a while. Can't wait to see what it is. Hope Bungie do something new next too.

Haunted

I mean, they've just shown how to do Wii FPS controls, so it would make sense to do another shooter with an original IP.

Or they could do something completely different. Who knows?

shinsnake

Banned
WiiFit.

Seriously, I hope they stick with something with an epic setting. They pretty much proved to me they can do voice acting and well made action scenes from MP3 and I've only gotten to
Bryyo

Ranger X

Awesome.

There's Intelligent Systems that should take that should receive the order to make a 2D Metroid on DS anyways.

wsippel

Banned
I heard from some press guy a few days ago that Retro is much bigger now, with two or three teams instead of one, and that there were three games in development at Retro. I think MP3 was one of those three games, though...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'd like them to tackle a serious racer on Wii. Though I suppose it makes sense for them to stick with FPS-style games since that's what they've been working on for so long now.

How about a sequel to Geist, albeit one that's, y'know, good?

wsippel said:
I heard from some press guy a few days ago that Retro is much bigger now, with two or three teams instead of one, and that there were three games in development at Retro. I think MP3 was one of those three games, though...

Wikipedia says 70 people.

shinsnake

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I'd like them to tackle a serious racer on Wii. Though I suppose it makes sense for them to stick with FPS-style games since that's what they've been working on for so long now.

How about a sequel to Geist, albeit one that's, y'know, good?

I would like it if they just let that sleeping dog lie. I think the idea of it was flawed and they would have to incorporate that idea when making a sequel. I don't think even Retro could make possessing a bowl of dog food interesting.

I would like them to develop the next Zelda for Wii. I think that it could be a great turn-around for the series. And Metroid can be developed by Aonuma. Why not ? A change is needed by both teams.

i think MP1, 2 and 3 afford Retro the freedom to do something TOTALLY new.

I want their own take on the FPS genre and not one rooted to a current story timeline

loosus

Banned
I wonder if anybody at Retro would be interested in making support libraries for games. God knows, Wii developers need help. It would be interesting if, for example, Retro could build water systems with decent physics that didn't consume too many resources. This isn't as big a problem on PS3 and 360 where resources are more expendable.

agner583

Good.

They have some of the best artists in the industry and I would really like to see what they could do with an original IP even though I love the Prime games.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't wait until Retro comes back to Metroid to make another console game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Haunted One said:
So does that mean that Metroid development goes back to EAD?

i almost wouldn't mind for the franchise to switch hands at this point. retro has done such an amazing job with metroid, but i almost feel like it's time to let some other creative minds take a crack at it to come up with something completely fresh. e.a.d., intelligent systems--just someone with lots of crazy neat ideas and the panache to make them work.

Evlar

Banned
Haunted One said:
So does that mean that Metroid development goes back to EAD?
I think it means, hope it means, there won't be any more 3D Metroids for a while.

New Retro IP plz. I nominate stealth FPS for the genre.

sprocket

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
i think MP1, 2 and 3 afford Retro the freedom to do something TOTALLY new.

I want their own take on the FPS genre and not one rooted to a current story timeline

NO MORE FPS! There is enough out there. For the love of god developers make something else!!

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I would like them to develop the next Zelda for Wii. I think that is could be a great turn-around for the series. And Metroid can be developed by Aonuma. Why not ? A change is needed by both teams.
No way.

Aonuma has already stated that he has lots of (new, innovative) ideas for the next console Zelda, and Miyamoto, after being pleased with Aonuma's work on Phantom Hourglass won't 'hinder' him going in that new direction. I don't think that you'll need to be afraid that the Zelda franchise will become stale, as they've stated on numerous occasions that TP was the last Zelda in the OoT style.

It's fine that Retro takes a break from Metroid - so maybe Nintendo should let them do their own original IP instead of having them work on another one. The Metroid IP can go back to EAD - a handheld game would be next in the series, anyway, I think.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I would like them to develop the next Zelda for Wii. I think that is could be a great turn-around for the series. And Metroid can be developed by Aonuma. Why not ? A change is needed by both teams.

my head spins like the little girl in the Exorcist

DIE DEMON

Haunted

beelzebozo said:
i almost wouldn't mind for the franchise to switch hands at this point. retro has done such an amazing job with metroid, but i almost feel like it's time to let some other creative minds take a crack at it to come up with something completely fresh. e.a.d., intelligent systems--just someone with lots of crazy neat ideas and the panache to make them work.
All three games IntSys were working on during the last year(s) have been released in the last few months - Fire Emblem 10, Super Paper Mario and Planet Puzzle League. They certainly have lots of time to do something new now. I would not mind Metroid Dread on DS made by IntSys!

Smiles and Cries said:
my head spins like the little girl in the Exorcist

DIE DEMON

Change is really good. Rareware developed Donkey Kong Country. A smashing success. Retro Studios made miracles with the Metroid Series. Alphadream made big things with Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Why not ? I know that Aonuma has many new things in mind, but is the team devoted only to Zelda ? Is it not a little bit "boring" after 10 years+ of zelda ? A change would be great after all !

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice to see Retro unleash the shackles of Prime :lol It'll be interesting to see what they can cook up later on. I absolutely love their art design and it ranks up there with some of the best in the industry by far - Metroid Prime will always be one of those games that looks incredible because of this trait.

Interesting to see the same resemblance with Bungie on Halo. Two totally different games in the same genre of sorts that have practically evolved a fanbase somewhat, both series spanning two games on a prior console and the last outing of the story for a new console. Whether or not Bungie continue headstrong into the Halo series after the 3rd outing I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe a Halo/Bungie fan could state more.

kottila

loosus said:
I wonder if anybody at Retro would be interested in making support libraries for games. God knows, Wii developers need help. It would be interesting if, for example, Retro could build water systems with decent physics that didn't consume too many resources. This isn't as big a problem on PS3 and 360 where resources are more expendable.

If this is coupled with the development of Wave Racer Wii, I'm all for it.

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Change is really good. Rareware developed Donkey Kong Country. A smashing success. Retro Studios made miracles with the Metroid Series. Alphadream made big things with Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Why not ? I know that Aonuma has many new things in mind, but is is team devoted only to Zelda ? A change would be great after all !
Again, since Aonuma and his team have just delivered the freshest Zelda in years (PH), I don't think they need to change it up right now.

It's really a luxury problem - Nintendo has so many great dev studious under their hood.

beelzebozo said:
alphadream should make a zelda game. i would play the living shit out of that

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not... Anyway, I don't think Alphadream has the resources to do a Zelda for the Wii.... 30 employees are maybe not enough...

Haunted One said:
Again, since Aonuma and his team have just delivered the freshest Zelda in years (PH), I don't think they need to change it up right now.

It's really a luxury problem - Nintendo has so many great dev studious under their hood.

You're absolutely right, but the problem is not who is the best developer between the two, but that Zelda and Metroid need a different point of view to be developed and change team = change approaches, ideas, story, priorities ecc... Even if Phantom Hourglass is wonderful, you can recognise a lot of old Zelda elements. Change team is dangerous, but not with Retro Studios that has proved to have a lot of talent ! There is not the risk to see the quality of a masterful franchise as Zelda to go down. I think that the Zelda series would be changed forever and not necessarily for the worse as you're thinking !

beelzebozo said:
no, i mean a handheld zelda by alphadream. it's not sarcasm. that would be great

Ah. Handheld would be great.

jjasper

While I love the Prime series I am glad they are stepping away from it for a while, I am sure Dread will keep me entertained till a new 3D Metroid returns.

Top Bottom