• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marketing and corporate buzzwords that you dislike

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There definitely are games out there where choices do matter. Most of them just don't is my point. I actually really liked how Witcher 2 did their choices matter, where you made a huge decision at 3 or 4 points in the game that pretty much determined how the remainder of the plot unfolded.

I really should play W2 some time. I bounced off 1 and 2 but then absolutely adored 3 (and yes choices matter there too). If I'm going to do it I should probably start at 1 though!

I really should play W2 some time. I bounced off 1 and 2 but then absolutely adored 3 (and yes choices matter there too). If I'm going to do it I should probably start at 1 though!

Yeah most Witcher fans today haven't played 1 and 2. If you're really into the lore and the epicness of the journey you definitely have to play them. I reallllly wouldn't do it for the gameplay in either. Witcher 1 was rough in its combat when I played it some 11 years ago, I can't imagine how you'd feel playing it today.

Witcher 2 was personally my favorite of the series, highly recommend. The NPCs and choice matter system added a lot of flavor to the somewhat filler-ish plot.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

‘Filmic’. Please just fuck off and die and take your stupid fucking word with you.

‘Emergent gameplay’. Ugh, It’s like calling a sandwich ‘eventually calorific’. Christ almighty.

I know it’s already been said but ‘4 the players’. Hate hearing this shit on Playstation adverts. Like yeah, I get it, your‘e doing this all for me and money is just a byproduct. Patronising sods. Fuck off.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
S Shadowcoust - I'm on a bit of a backlog spree at the moment (see the backlog thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/no-new-games-in-2019-unfinished-backlog-only.1470613/) so I've got a good excuse to dig in there and I've been acclimatising to older games lack of hand-holding and somewhat janky UIs etc so I reckon I can handle it. Certainly the lore is fun, so I'd be curious. Or maybe I should just read the Witcher books, though my book backlog is far far worse than my game backlog right now (not helped by being in the middle of History Of Western Philosophy - a fun but very dense read).

Hissing Sid Hissing Sid - Sometimes emergent gameplay can be fun - stuff that's a product of systems that does stuff the dev didn't necessarily intend. I enjoy playing with the systems in those games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuz

Banned
Thinking about it and reading the posts on this thread, I realized something.

I detest pretty much all "PR speak". Any buzzword in an interview or statement, and I'm raising a skeptic flag.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Open World: Usually implies vast empty uninteresting places:

Preorder: Usually content you cannot purchase on digital stores after games has released.

Console exclusive: Missing content on competitior platform.

Auto generated world: More bland uninteresting places without the design touches of the artist.

Microtransaction: Usually implies the devs and publishers are not confident selling their game as a product and represents the game piece meal with the minimal viable product.

Player’s Choice: A selection of games that have some stupid border that doesn’t match with your collection hence reduces or disencourages people to actually buy it as it is not first print copy with black label. ie) Nintendo Selects and PS Greatest Hits.

Last edited:
The people listing “diversity,” are you saying you dislike diversity in games or are you saying you dislike developers feeling the need to advertise the diviersiity in their game?

I personally have zero issue with Battle Royals and/or Open World games. Plenty of examples of how each has been done well, and plenty of examples of how each has been done poorly. The genre/style doesn’t dictate the quality, the content does. Good games are good, bad games are bad.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The people listing “diversity,” are you saying you dislike diversity in games or are you saying you dislike developers feeling the need to advertise the diviersiity in their game?

I personally have zero issue with Battle Royals and/or Open World games. Plenty of examples of how each has been done well, and plenty of examples of how each has been done poorly. The genre/style doesn’t dictate the quality, the content does. Good games are good, bad games are bad.

For me - if you're mentioning it in your marketing bullshit you've probably fucked up and are playing to the ree crowd so you can paint anyone who hates your game as alt-right/racist/manbaby. That's where, for me, the hate comes from.

Stuart360

'Playing games is better with friends'. I mean you can make an argument that its true, especially in certain types of games, but the real reason we keep getting brainwashed into that is because its a hell of a lot easier for them to sell microtransactions, map packs, consmetic, dlc, etc in multiplayer games than it is in single player games.

Ovek

7Member7
"The Cloud™"

"Streaming is the future"

"Games as a service"

Everyone is going to be hearing those three for quite some time.

Shifty

"This year, [company] is [bigger / better / more prolific / making better games] than we've ever been."

No shit buster, that's how time and technological progress works.

All of them.

But some, like 'messaging', just make me nauseous.
'Optics'

:sick:

Last edited:
This year, <company> is <bigger / better / more prolific / making the best games> than we've ever been.

No shit buster, that's how time and technological progress works.

'Optics'

:sick:

The king of them and it's fucking awful "Controlling the narrative"

Fuck you, let the truth of the situation live or die.

Last edited:
Top Bottom