• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marlow Briggs is $1 on PayWUW. Still makes God of War look like shit

ElTopo

Banned
I tried to get into DMC4 and I just couldn't get into it. I don't like how automated modern games and I think the Character Action genre just isn't for me, but I did enjoy Wolverine Origins and the Deadpool game so I'm going to give this a chance. One last stab at the Character Action genre.

Plus it's a buck. Come on. Not going to cry myself to sleep if I don't like it.

killatopak

Gold Member
I tried to get into DMC4 and I just couldn't get into it. I don't like how automated modern games and I think the Character Action genre just isn't for me, but I did enjoy Wolverine Origins and the Deadpool game so I'm going to give this a chance. One last stab at the Character Action genre.

Plus it's a buck. Come on. Not going to cry myself to sleep if I don't like it.

You don't like automated games but couldn't get into one of the least automated games out there.

Hates Character Action Genre but loves Deadpool and Wolverine Origins.

Not sure if serious.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm weird. Plus I'm a fan of Deadpool. I actually never finished the Wolverine game, I got half way through it and got tired of fighting the giant dude and baiting him and doing a QTE.

In DMC 4 I felt like I was just mashing buttons. I did pick the mode that was for DMC newbies but I played on normal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm weird. Plus I'm a fan of Deadpool. I actually never finished the Wolverine game, I got half way through it and got tired of fighting the giant dude and baiting him and doing a QTE.

In DMC 4 I felt like I was just mashing buttons. I did pick the mode that was for DMC newbies but I played on normal.

Do you mean "automatic" mode? And then you complain about things being too automatic? You played it without experiencing any of the game's purpose or design.

Also, just a general FYI for anyone caught up in this ironic thread who is considering buying this game blind: Marlow Briggs isn't better than any "real" character action game, even for a dollar. The main character has great animation and lots of moves, but you'll quickly notice the enemies have almost no behavior, and there are only a couple of types. It's a valiant effort for a small team, but it's not a good character action game. Some of the environmental puzzles are good though. It's just a dollar, though, so why not see for yourself?

ElTopo

Banned
No, it was not automatic mode. When you start it asks you if you've played DMC before and I said no, I think it's human mode or something like that. It was not automatic. I felt like I could mash attack and not really worry, the enemies weren't even aggressive.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No, it was not automatic mode. When you start it asks you if you've played DMC before and I said no, I think it's human mode or something like that. It was not automatic. I felt like I could mash attack and not really worry, the enemies weren't even aggressive.

Then that might not have been normal.

Anyway, the point of DMC is to vary things up yourself. You can go a long way just hitting one button over and over and dodging appropriately but you won't be well-rewarded for it.

MDSLKTR

So I read the thread title, then clicked on totalbiscuts video. Skipped into the the video and he legit says, "Is it better than god of war, or such things? No, of course not."

OP
"Still makes God of War look like shit."
fry.PNG
There's no in-between for pc-gaf, everything must look like shit compared to something be it a game, a notebook cpu or a steam skin and it needs to be hammered many times over and over

ElTopo

Banned
Put about an hour into it. Sucks it doesn't support PS3 controllers. But I found it enjoyable. It has a fast pace and I love how it maintains that craziness.

For a $1 you can't complain.

lmao, no.

God of War is fantastic in all aspects. marlow briggs is merely good in a few. and the story/presentation isn't even close.

Haunted

It's overall not very good. Probably worth a dollar. Probably still does make God of War look bad.

But it's tons and tons of repeated combat scenarios, extensive stop-and-pan cutscenes that show Marlow doing things you would want to be doing, and some fairly annoying glitches (like the camera not going with you when you go too fast and the game just assuming you died).
All the janky combat and platforming aside, the stop-and-pan cutscenes are what really got me.

At first I was all like "wait what the fuck is this" but then I laughed and laughed.

Percy

Banned
People really cannot take a joke can they.

especially console gamers, hihi

Given how uptight a lot of the PC gamers on GAF come off (From what I've seen in my time here anyways), I'm not sure if that qualification is really necessary tbh.

It's not too hard to see how the thread title could be interpreted as a joke or needlessly inflammatory depending on where you're coming from.

Nethaniah

Given how uptight a lot of the PC gamers on GAF come off (From what I've seen in my time here anyways), I'm not sure if that qualification is really necessary tbh.

It's not too hard to see how the thread title could be interpreted as a joke or needlessly inflammatory depending on where you're coming from.

Funny cause i have the exact same experience when it comes to console gamers.

Corpekata

Banned

No, it is pretty hard to see why people are taking it as inflammatory. The OP includes things like "I actually put 10 minutes into playing this game. 11/10 would try again while waiting for UPlay to update" and "Its Ok" as glowing reviews. If someones does not realize people are being silly, it is because they didn't actually read any of the OP, or they are as dumb as bricks.

Nzyme32

This game is still amazing. Genuinely hope they do another one. It really does beat a lot of the staple third person action adventure games, while knowong full well that it is a parody and spectacle of that style of game. Easily worth £15 let alone the £0.69 it is at now

Buy it!

Top Bottom