• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marseille mCable HDMI Cable with inline anti-aliasing

Well, since GAF is back I'm bumping this thread to share my experience with the cable, as I don't know if I'm going to keep posting here as often. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the results, so judge for yourself:

Summary:

oVxxSIz.jpg

BpYyQBB.jpg

Comparisons:

Generic:
1d2S3AN.jpg

mCable:
7Tkzfdt.jpg

Generic:
XmJEIRk.jpg

mCable:
eK9H1vI.jpg

Generic:
l6lqweX.jpg

mCable:
ILREr8J.jpg

Generic:
m4KHjzm.jpg

mCable:
rIZtDPf.jpg

Okay, this is goddamn impressive. I was skeptical and was writing this off as a scam like many "premium" HDMI cables, but I'm going to get one for myself as a birthday present.

aka_bueno

What’s the difference between the gaming and cinema versions? The cinema version is like half the price.

I think the added anti-aliasing is amazing, it’s my biggest gripes with console games and if I could get less jaggies on my Switch it would be a godsend. Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Zelda would be so much cleaner! But I don’t like how the cable has some extra processing and from all the comparisons I’ve seen, it makes the image slightly darker or adds a little contrast making the darks darker and losing a little shadow detail. Also see edge sharpening with slight haloing around edges. But I’d still take it cause the anti-aliasing improvement far outweighs that for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What’s the difference between the gaming and cinema versions? The cinema version is like half the price.

I think the added anti-aliasing is amazing, it’s my biggest gripes with console games and if I could get less jaggies on my Switch it would be a godsend. Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Zelda would be so much cleaner! But I don’t like how the cable has some extra processing and from all the comparisons I’ve seen, it makes the image slightly darker or adds a little contrast making the darks darker and losing a little shadow detail. Also see edge sharpening with slight haloing around edges. But I’d still take it cause the anti-aliasing improvement far outweighs that for me.

i want to know this...like do i HAVE to get the gaming edition to see a difference in games, or will the cinema version do "good enough" to clean up the image?

Jamix012

i want to know this...like do i HAVE to get the gaming edition to see a difference in games, or will the cinema version do "good enough" to clean up the image?

My biggest guess is that the cinema one adds a tonne of lag, because lag means nothing for cinema. That's just a guess though.

JP

They do have videos on their YouTube channels explaining stuff like this, this is the one you're looking for.

The difference between mCable Cinema and Gaming Editions

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My biggest guess is that the cinema one adds a tonne of lag, because lag means nothing for cinema. That's just a guess though.

:l thanks, sounds right but i wish i had some confirmation..if you ever happen to find any discussions on it to give weight to the subject, i'd really appreciate it.

We need DF on these things stat

They do have videos on their YouTube channels explaining stuff like this, this is the one you're looking for.

The difference between mCable Cinema and Gaming Editions

i already saw that one earlier, i love his accent but all he says is the gaming one has a gaming oriented chip and the video one has a video oriented chip. He doesnt actually answer the nuanced questions like whether or not using the video one for games introduces lag, does it still give visual benefits and vice versa ect

f@luS

More than a member.
Well , I’ll reveuve both the mcable gaming and the Philips truvision Which has the same chip as the mcable cinéma. So I’ll test this. I think I’ve read that the cinema add a bit blurrier AA than the gaming mostly which doesn’t blur or almost not the IQ

Timu

Well , I’ll reveuve both the mcable gaming and the Philips truvision Which has the same chip as the mcable cinéma. So I’ll test this. I think I’ve read that the cinema add a bit blurrier AA than the gaming mostly which doesn’t blur or almost not the IQ
The Gaming one would probably be the better one overall.

f@luS

More than a member.
The Gaming one would probably be the better one overall.
Obviously.
Paying 130e for the gaming one is a step already I’ve done and waiting for it now
I’ve just bought a Philips one as well for my psvr as I’ve read it’s already quite an improvement. And it’s 30e. Quite the difference

radewagon

I have a request,

If you have a WiiU, could you put in something like Xenoblade Chronicles (The Wii game) and compare shots from that?

Something like Metroid Prime Trilogy would work as well. It's harder to tell in the Skyward Sword shots.

Also, do you HAVE to set the WiiU output to 480p for this to work? You can't just set the output to 1080p and then plug it in?

I can try to take some comparisons of Metroid Trilogy this weekend. Unless someone beats me to it (cool how active this thread is).

As for setting the WiiU to 480p, sadly, my experiences showed that 1080p output from the WiiU on Wii titles eliminated pretty much all benefits. It really needs to be set to 480p (for Wii titles) in order for the image to be sufficiently improved by the mCable.

Peterthumpa

I don't see "real-time anti-aliasing" anywhere in the descriptions for those cables and all the others mentioned here. As far as I know, only the Marseille one is able to do it, but if you can get the same quality for cheaper, this is even more exciting for those who want a solution like this.

Peterthumpa

Ok, here's a few more comparisons - now on PS4.
Settings: PS4 Pro / 4K TV set to 1080p. The cable works (as in, a normal HDMI cable) when the system is set to 4K, but no AA is applied.

Driveclub - Generic:
4eCQqYl.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
cemV59p.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
TJk2Vqj.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
TnZKhFa.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
g3gnhD6.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
Xr67OMl.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
gV4wh2w.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
KbEfOvt.jpg

Alien Isolation - Generic:
QCmajEs.jpg

Alien Isolation - mCable:
raBXw6k.jpg

Bloodborne - Generic:
JFPuFDt.jpg

Bloodborne - mCable:
wIe3Xtc.jpg

Darknight

Settings: PS4 Pro / 4K TV set to 1080p. The cable works (as in, a normal HDMI cable) when the system is set to 4K, but no AA is applied.

Driveclub - Generic:
4eCQqYl.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
cemV59p.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
TJk2Vqj.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
TnZKhFa.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
g3gnhD6.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
Xr67OMl.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
gV4wh2w.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
KbEfOvt.jpg

Alien Isolation - Generic:
QCmajEs.jpg

Alien Isolation - mCable:
raBXw6k.jpg

Bloodborne - Generic:
JFPuFDt.jpg

Bloodborne - mCable:
wIe3Xtc.jpg

Wow at Bloodborne. Nice man, keep em coming!!

Does this work with PSVR as well? OMG I may have to get it for Driveclub VR and a few other jaggie games. lol

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

So basically, if you're playing in 4K, the mCable is the same as the hdmi cable that came with the PS4 Pro?

Peterthumpa

You just made the decision to buy or not buy the mCable for me and saved me money in the process. Thanks.
Well, it's not like you need such alternative AA methods for games that take advantage of the Pro, but for those who don't, it's a nice little bonus that requires a small, manual configuration.

BigDug13

You just made the decision to buy or not buy the mCable for me and saved me money in the process. Thanks.

This is more like for the Switch and standard Blu-Ray and things like that. Stuff that's being delivered to the 4K TV as 1080p, and sometimes even upscaled to 1080p to begin with. This isn't for Pro owners playing PS4 games that have 4k output.

Reallink

Fel can you confirm whether your PS4 display setting is RGB or 4:2:0? "Video Output Information" in the PS4 display menu will tell you? RGB requires full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps), 4:2:0 will operate over HDMI 1.4 (10.2Gbps). If you have it on Auto, it quite possible the system is choosing 4:2:0.

I don't see "real-time anti-aliasing" anywhere in the descriptions for those cables and all the others mentioned here. As far as I know, only the Marseille one is able to do it, but if you can get the same quality for cheaper, this is even more exciting for those who want a solution like this.
The Thor cable definitely uses the Marseille chip. And they call anti-aliasing "refining jagged edges" and/or "edge restoration" http://www.thor-av.com/services/

I'll try to find the info on Lindy that I saw. But it's essential the same wording.

There's another Sagemcom UP200. Look at the Marseille logo on the cable. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0146ODU3O/

And more http://www.hdelite.eu/en/

And here's a French comparison Thor vs HDelite vs mCable

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...hdmi-actif-thor-hdelite-mcable-t30078639.html

Peterthumpa

The Thor cable definitely uses the Marseille chip. And they call anti-aliasing "refining jagged edges" and/or "edge restoration" http://www.thor-av.com/services/

I'll try to find the info on Lindy that I saw. But it's essential the same wording.

There's another Sagemcom UP200. Look at the Marseille logo on the cable. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0146ODU3O/

And more http://www.hdelite.eu/en/

And here's a French comparison Thor vs HDelite vs mCable

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...hdmi-actif-thor-hdelite-mcable-t30078639.html

That's cool, but I'd definitely wait for reviews on that French topic or elsewhere. They all seem to be using the V1 of the Marseille chip (or something comparable to it). The "new", V2 mCable is the one supposed to add proper anti-aliasing.

That's cool, but I'd definitely wait for reviews on that French topic or elsewhere. They all seem to be using the V1 of the Marseille chip (or something comparable to it). The "new", V2 mCable is the one supposed to add proper anti-aliasing.
There's chat on the French thread about 3 versions?

HDelite v1
Thor v2
mCable v3

Need to read more.

Here's a PDF that explains the difference between versions of the Marseille chip

http://www.technicolor.com/download/file/fid/4694

Here are some Dark Souls comparions:
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/JeuxVideo/Consoles/mcable-gaming-aliasing-sujet_193888_1.htm#t13522533

Looking at this comparison, this cable seems to be better suited to cartoony/Nintendo games, as it ads a "painting" look to some parts of the image (see the water sections in the zoom images).
I think they're by somebody in this thread?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
what about that
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0146ODU3O/

look a like the mcable. Can it be the same cable without brand overprice ?
need gaf detective here.

edit : faq in the link says it could be Marseille proc without usb alim.

The FAQ also says the first answer is wrong and there's USB, also you can see on the longer HDMI plug that there's two cables.

I ordered it, I should get it tomorrow, I may do some videos for Gamersyde.

martino

Ok sorry for upping part of the thread i didn't read.
Waiting for your feedback then
At this price i buy it right away

Turrican3

The FAQ says it uses the Marseille chip too, if I don't get the same results I'll notify here and send it back.
That's nice to hear!

Are you going (assuming it is technically feasible and/or you have the needed equipment) to test the amount of lag introduced too?

Top Bottom