• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

Guri

I wonder if his work with Paul McCartney for Destiny's soundtrack was complete.

Huge loss, no matter what!

RE_Player

Holy shit!! I have my problems with Halo, especially Halo 4, but never was it because of the music. Those soundtracks are amazing.

Crazy. Would it be significantly more cost effective to work with a freelance musician as opposed to having a composer in-house? That's the only way this makes sense to me.

Lingitiz

I really don't feel confident about the current state of Bungie. Seems like a bunch of key members have left in the wake of their huge multiplatform expansion.

Sciz

Can't imagine what a composer did to piss off upper management, but it sounds like he managed it. Weird.

Wow this is a MAJOR mistake in my opinion.Marty's music is really great.
Hopefully he lands on his feet. Though given his talent, I already assume he will.

malfcn

Whoa. He was huge for Halo. Without his themes the atmosphere would be totally different. How much of his work is in Destiny?

heckfu

Banned
I was lucky enough to meet him last year and was super jazzed to hear all of his ideas come to life in Destiny. I wonder what the future will be for this current game (assuming the score isn't complete)

Maestro.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't really care what kind of problems were happening behind the scenes, this is a huuuuge loss.

Wow that's crazy, I think halo was the first game I actually followed the development of including the names of staff like Marty. Sad to hear

GrizzNKev

Banned
I attended a presentation he gave at Bungie just a few months ago where he showed us a video of him working with Paul McCartney and let us listen to some new stuff from Destiny. It gave me chills, there's no way he's fired.

Woah, unexpected. Marty is the man! It says a decision from the Bungie Board of Directors, but is it possible that Activision had a part in this? It doesn't make sense that Bungie would make this decision all of a sudden before their new game is completed...

What does this mean for the Destiny soundtrack, anything?

Salex_

Already jumping to conclusions and forming weird conspiracy theories...didn't we learn anything from the last month?

I was lucky enough to meet him last year and was super jazzed to hear all of his ideas come to life in Destiny. I wonder what the future will be for this current game (assuming the score isn't complete)

Maestro.gif

Assuming the score is complete, I imagine Bungie would own it and they would use it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoaaaaaaa. I think Marty is a total douche lord for using his influence to spread anti-abortion rhetoric on Twitter, but at the same time, the man is a talented genius! God damn. I'll really miss his piece of that Bungie magic, no matter how much I think his politics suck.

Edit : To clarify, the tweets are year old, maybe more. I wasn't trying to imply that the tweets were what got him fired! Sorry for the confusion.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hype for Destiny definitely taken down a notch and with all the people who have slowly trickled out from Bungie my hype for the studio as a whole isn't what it once was.

farisr

Half the reason you play all games is the music?

Oh yeah, totally. I mean that comment can definitely be extrapolated to mean that...

HYPE = how much I'm going to enjoy a game. The music in the Halo games by Marty had been spectacular, Bungie developing this game with the Halo crew (including Marty) had me hyped. The fact that something like this has happened, has severely dampened my expectations from the game. It's not just about the music, it's about the impression it gives off.

Even if the entire score had been completed, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has deflated my hype for the game (and I wasn't entirely convinced that I would like the game in the first place, the music was one of the strongest aspects they've revealed so far imo)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Honestly can't believe this. I just don't see what could've happened that would make them fire him, and give him no reason.

Shock.

Alcander

Wasn't he writing some music with Paul McCartney for Destiny? I wonder if that wasn't working out so well, or something.

Top Bottom