• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

Playing the beta makes me so sad because the music is so good. Not having Marty really scares me for the future sequels.

The one piece that really stands out for me is the one during the mission (whos name escapes me right now) where you are defending Dinkle-bot while he is working on the array and there are waves of Hive ships coming at you. That was when I stopped and went "that's some damn good music."

He didn't win anything, they settled.

They agreed to pay him money that they were claiming they don't owe him.

He won.

He won a settlement.

I'd say you both are right. While by definition he did not win the lawsuit because a judge never decided who was right cus the case never reached court. I think that we all could agree that Marty won cus he got paid money that Bungie felt they did not owe him. Devils advocate could say that maybe Bungie expected this and got away with giving him less money then they originally planned so maybe they both won. We don't know cus we don't have the details and probably never will.

Wereroku

He won.

He won a settlement.
You don't really know how much he was claiming. This feels more like Marty using the courts to speed up their arbitration which we knew were ongoing.

He won.

He won a settlement.

You don't really win a settlement (unless your case wasn't very strong to begin with but that's more subjective I suppose). It's literally both sides coming to an agreement to avoid going through a trial. So while Marty did get some money, it's likely much less than what he was originally after.

And looking up the details of the lawsuit, it appears he was suing Harold Ryan specifically and not Bungie as a company.

The one piece that really stands out for me is the one during the mission (whos name escapes me right now) where you are defending Dinkle-bot while he is working on the array and there are waves of Hive ships coming at you. That was when I stopped and went "that's some damn good music."

Yes Yes YES!
That's my fav track from the beta so far. I paused as the ships were flying in and I was like wow. I rarely have moments like that when I game, especially in shooters.

Sirim

While I can't speak for who's in the right, wrong, or in-between, I can't help but wonder for the future of Destiny's music. This game plans to evolve over a 10 year life-span. Hopefully, whoever will take the reigns of the score will help the music evolve greatly, as well.

Marty is one of the most iconic composers in the game world. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking no one else can make great soundtracks. There was a time that there was no Marty. Maybe the next one is waiting for their big moment, and Destiny 2 is it.

Edit: Hopefully the next guy will also respect Marty's themes and utilize them in new and fresh ways, unlike the train wreck that was the Halo 4 score.

Top Bottom