• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered has released on Steam/Steam Deck | Digital Foundry Breakdown Review Released

Mister Wolf

Won't make much difference I am afraid as PC I/O architecture has too many others bottlenecks. Direct Storage is a PR marketing stunt (which perfectly worked, for now).

Direct Storage would have shaved some seconds. Its faster than the outdated Win 32 API as already demonstrated with Forspoken. With actual benchmarked numbers demonstrated. Currently around 70% faster while still using CPU decompression.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PC looks like the Next Gen Rockstar remaster version next to PS5.

Good port Nixxes.
I'll hand it to Sony. Their PC ports are pretty good. Not perfect, but the games seem to reach for higher end settings, frames etc....

Before they started doing PC ports, I was thinking they might purposely gimp all their PC games so the PS versions are seem as equal. Not true. Seems the studios are allowed to stretch the quality beyond PS5.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When it's done right, IMO it's worth the cost provided you have the optimal hardware. When it's not done correctly then I would agree, better off putting those resources towards improving other things.

Looks to be a huge difference to me, but I guess everyone has different tastes. I mean, if I'm taking a huge hit on RT in the first place, I want it done correctly. I see what you're saying, we just have two different views on what RT reflections are supposed to be, accurate & realistic reflections.

Sure, I would also like all reflections to look perfectly accurate. But we're not there yet, even if you have a 3090 (seems like it's pretty much impossible to get a smooth 60fps in this game with everything maxed out). And I'm saying that it doesn't matter that much. But if you play games to stare deeply into reflections on the sides of buildings, sure, I can understand that you would rather have that version running on a $3000 PC.

Good port but RT is a real FPS killer. The game is very CPU bound also. I also think DLSS has built-in sharpening that can't be turned off or toned down.

Played the first mission though and it was a lot of fun. Looks like the game itself is going to be great.

Won't make much difference I am afraid as PC I/O architecture has too many others bottlenecks. Direct Storage is a PR marketing stunt (which perfectly worked, for now).
Lol no

Microsoft has a detailed lecture on what DirectStorage can provide. To put it simply, it offloads all the data decompression and streaming from the CPU to the GPU, resulting in less overhead for the CPU (more performance). The GPU doesn't have issues doing this as well as most PC GPU's have a shit ton of compute capabilities.

This results in tangible difference in load times and overall asset streaming, Forspoken for example loads in under 2 seconds on the PC version and the PS5 will likely be in the same ballpark if not faster.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why are people discussing load times as if the PC version takes 30+ secs to load?, its 4.5 secs.
I'm sure we will live.
first time GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's a drastic gap.

Is it though? Are you standing 1 foot from your 65" tv or watching games via binoculars? I'd rather see it less zoomed in for real world.
That said, max PC does look better even from normal distance, just not sure I'd call it "drastic"

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Aside from RT quite huge difference, there is no real other differences.
And you do need good pc to push RT, so that's good they are utilizing it for sure !

But I always wonder this.... why are there so many options? Why we need traffic at very low, low, medium, hard, very high.... if all settings look the same or very close and do not affect performance more than 1%.
There are few settings like that it seems (as in many many pc games) that serve no other purpose than a way to lower your image quality without real benefits to performance.
Why have these options at all?! It's only a time waster for the person testing it.

MORE BETTER IMPACTFUL SETTINGS. NOT JUST MORES SETTINGS !

MikeM

Great port for PC gaf. Sony seems to be showing they are serious with their ports.

PS5 still amazes me for what you get for the money.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Great port for PC gaf. Sony seems to be showing they are serious with their ports.

PS5 still amazes me for what you get for the money.
It's a proper port. Nothing more/less really.
This is what every port should be or more.

I know people are gushing about RT but this is how most people will look a it. While on the side of a building.
And in this setting, it's not so bad on ps5

uMgwZSV.jpg

MikeM

It's a proper port. Nothing more/less really.
This is what every port should be or more.

I know people are gushing about RT but this is how most people will look a it. While on the side of a building.
And in this setting, it's not so bad on ps5

uMgwZSV.jpg
What ports should be is correct. We all know how they can be released tho.

This sets a bar for their future releases. Widescreen support, DLSS and FSR are big.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What ports should be is correct. We all know how they can be released tho.

This sets a bar for their future releases. Widescreen support, DLSS and FSR are big.
Looks to be on par good port as Death Stranding.
Horizon and FF 7 were more lackluster. horizon got patched good.

JackSparr0w

Banned
And what is that exactly?

To be objective, we need to see what the sales numbers are. PC only gamers wanted Sony products- they got it.
You can have a look here https://steamdb.info/graph/?sort=peak just ignore the glitches with only a few players. You can also check on twitch.tv to see what most PC gamers are playing.

A tiny minority asked for Sony games and the only ones that I can see selling decently are Bloodborne and Demon Souls remake. Destiny 2 is also fairly popular among PC gamers but that's a recent Sony purchase.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why don't they ever release a 4k version when they do these.
I know they do them, but when you expect it to be needed we get a pixelated 1080p version of them zooming 200% into a compressed blurr 🤔
Makes no sense

Seems like a great port and a huge upgrade over ps5 version. Much improved RT, LOD, AF, etc etc. Tbf all Sony ports so far been pretty good. Minus HZD at launch, but got pathed soon after.

I know they do them, but when you expect it to be needed we get a pixelated 1080p version of them zooming 200% into a compressed blurr 🤔
Makes no sense

🤔

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Makes no sense

I believe DF updates the available quality to 4K after the comparisons been out for awhile. Just so the Patron contributers feel special.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Seems like a great port and a huge upgrade over ps5 version. Much improved RT, LOD, AF, etc etc. Tbf all Sony ports so far been pretty good. Minus HZD at launch, but got pathed soon after.

🤔

I know they do them
🤔

And I don't mean just Playstation titles, just in general sometimes they don't upload the 4k version.
Maybe it's exclusive to their patreon

Last edited:
Makes no sense
Because YT can some times take forever to process the 4K version

Their own site has the 4K version right away (as it doesn't use YouTube) but you have to be a Patreon for that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a contagiousness to the city in Spider-Man, most people have played the PlayStation 4 version.

Lysandros

Lol no

Microsoft has a detailed lecture on what DirecctStorage can provide. To put it simply, it offloads all the data decompression and streaming from the CPU to the GPU, resulting in less overhead for the CPU (more performance). The GPU doesn't have issues doing this as well as most PC GPU's have a shit ton of compute capabilities.

This results in tangible difference in load times and overall asset streaming, Forspoken for example loads in under 2 seconds on the PC version and the PS5 will likely be in the same ballpark if not faster.
Why Sony engineered an entire I/O complex with a powerfull decompressor, two co-processors, a coherency engine and SRAM if the exact same result can be obtained by simply offloading all these processes to the GPU via API without any dedicated hardware?... Don't you think it's too good to be true?

Last edited:

solidus12

You could tell that Bugaga was having a boner while covering this... so much for "Spider-man whatever" :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:
Top Bottom