• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers Game Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My big question is why this game needed to be GaaS/loot game with MTX? This game could have been proper single player/co-op game and it would have still sold tons of copy.
With a franchise that big.
Sadly yes.

licensing marvel is stupid expensive.
They need to milk the hell out of it.

and i am afraid that next gen it will only get worse... i just notice the worse it gets.

i end up buying more switch and pc games

I'm having a blast with it so far. This is one of those games where theres a good chance you'll love it despite the critical reception (similar to Days Gone).

If the game sounds good to you I'd give it a chance.
I personally think it will drop to around6-6.5 in the end...........but I love the game.

If the Raid they plan on dropping is good enough to grind loot to complete and they keep up with content drops like it seems they will....this game will have a big fan base....imo.

GymWolf

It boggles my mind that an avengers game doens't have more budget and manpower than rdr2 and tlou2 combined and especially better devs to work on it...it's fucking avengers, the most successfull stuff of the last 10 years ffs.

this thing could have been bigger than gta6, the potential was there...

i am the only who doesn't understand how they wasted such an opportunity with a gigantic brand like this one?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I wonder how inflated these scores will be simply cause it's a marvel license featuring the avengers. I'm sure a lot of things will get a pass cause of it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
CUfNkP0.png

WTF!!?
How is this acceptable in high budget AAA Marvel game!? Sakuna is being made by TWO people and its more polished than this game is.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I was worried that the level design was as bad across the entire game as it was in the beta. Glad I chose not to preorder even though I really wanted to.

Can whoever that has the power to rerelease Hulk:Ultimate Destruction just do that please? Or give me a proper PC port and let the community do the work?

Huh, I listened to Kinda Funny the other day and they were gushing about it and it’s reviews as if they were glowing. Maybe they were shilling, idk.

Surprised it got as high as a 76 to be honest.

Arun1910

Stinker. Glad I didn't preorder this. Crazy that sony spent a bunch of money on marketing for this game too. Yikes.

Makes sense though. Avengers as a name will sell on its own, and this game was clearly made to squeeze your balls for all that sweet juicy cash you have so you spend it on microtransactions.

Honestly I'm so disappointed in this. For so long I've wanted an Avengers game, I thought it would be on par with Spider-man PS4 but instead we got a game model that wants you to grind and spend money.

My big question is why this game needed to be GaaS/loot game with MTX? This game could have been proper single player/co-op game and it would have still sold tons of copy.

That doesn’t suit the executives though. We live in a time where unlockables in games are monetised and it’s practically the norm for many players.

Regardless of reviews it will sell millions. The only way to change things is If people stopped buying this stuff in droves and what are the chances of that mate?

sol_bad

I was thinking of buying this day 1 but I didn't even try the beta.
I think this is a wait and see where it is at in 6 months type of game.

Shrap

I'm expecting the metascore of this cancerous monetized mediocrity to drop further.

Let's see if these reviewers have any conscience at all.

Yet people wonder why I really don’t like GAAS games. I actually liked the Avengers beta, but of course they had to go ruin it somehow. Well, at least it seemingly has a decent single player campaign from what I heard.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Honestly I'm so disappointed in this. For so long I've wanted an Avengers game, I thought it would be on par with Spider-man PS4 but instead we got a game model that wants you to grind and spend money.

But there is a single-player AAA campaign already like Spiderman and it's been really well received? And there's more story content coming soon too.

The Multiplayer is optional and you don't have to buy mtx to play it at all. I don't get all this narrative you guys are trying to pull with this game. Damn.

It is exactly that if you want. Like WTF people? Are you guy not aware about the campaign or just playing dumb?

Last edited:

Danjin44

It is exactly that if you want. Like WTF people? Are you guy not aware about the campaign or just playing dumb?
You can also play Destiny and other GaaS games alone, but they are not fun because they are designed around playing with other people and the level designs is no where near as good as proper Single player games out there.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The campaign feature some better than expected story parts, and considering superhero movies are the most overrated franchises of our time, the game has likely some inflated scores. The combat is such a mess though that you have to be a shill to recommend this.

Hinedorf

Banned
Even with bad scores you have 2 niche audiences Marvel and GaaS players who will whale up on this enough that a bad score or loss of purchase wont effect their bottom line.

To see both a 6 and a 10 is exactly what I'd expect. Some people will love this game and some will hate it.

oagboghi2

But there is a single-player AAA campaign already like Spiderman and it's been really well received? And there's more story content coming soon too.

The Multiplayer is optional and you don't have to buy mtx to play it at all. I don't get all this narrative you guys are trying to pull with this game. Damn.

Because the level design and combat is focused around multiplayer. Saying it has single player is worthless. The levels aren’t crafted to be a single player experience, like they are, in say Batman Arkham Asylum.

when your beating up a bunch of people, and the game tells you to stand on a square to start an invisible timer while a raid of enemies fload the room, that is GaaS level design. Shallow and simple so on one is left behind.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Campaign is fun, super heroes get better and better the more skills I unlock. Disappointed with the open area missions, just bad design. If you like marvel super heroes prob worth a buy when it’s on sale just for the story mode and fuck all the gaas stuff.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I will pass. I don't really like GaaS to begin with and this seems very average. I would have liked to play a badass single player Avengers game rather then this.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Most critics are really detached from the average gamer so their experiences hardly interest me, aside from bugs, glitches etc.

CitizenX

Banned

No rating from @Karak yet since its a pre-review but he called it the "averagers", so take from that what you will.

After watching this review and seeing scores now, wow. Also, I still cant believe this is what CD has been working on, what a waste.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Im disappointed that the skins for the heroes have recolors of the same model. For a loot based game that doesnt visualize loot, at the very least give only skins that actually look different to each other. A blue ironman suit vs a red ironman suit is not enough motivation for me to grind in a looter game.

JTCx

Even if you take away the GAAS element of it, the combat is sloppy and shallow as fuck.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Nice. Ruin Marvel's second biggest IP after Spider-Man with a shitty live service model disguised as a single player game.

Is it too much to ask for a fucking Avengers game that doesn't feel like Destiny? Fuck you Square Enix and fuck you Marvel for giving the go ahead on this crap.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Now get back to making a next-gen Tomb Raider for us CD.

They better, if only to keep Eidos Montreal away from the franchise. The first two games of the trilogy rank high on my personal best action-adventure games ever list. The third one... does not.

Would like to get Avengers for the story but won't support that business model. It will be 20 € in six months.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's so weird to look at the score and then read the replies here. You're all repeating each other and "I knew it was trash!!" but the reviews are great? The game is now at 84 on opencritic.

You can also play Destiny and other GaaS games alone, but they are not fun because they are designed around playing with other people and the level designs is no where near as good as proper Single player games out there.

Destiny? The story is a self-contained solo campaign. Single-player only. You can't even play with other people. You are just talking out your ass like all the other clowns in here.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Destiny? The story is a self-contained solo campaign. Single-player only. You can't even play with other people. You are just talking out your ass like all the other clowns in here.
The level designs, enemy/boss designs, the progression, it screams MP GaaS game, you cant tell me in straight face this game has same quality single player as other SP only games. The big selling point of this game is the MP.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Either the final game is leaps and bounds better than the demo or the games press is once again failing at one of their most important jobs.

Just some of the issues I found with The Avengers demo:
  • Hulk can be killed by random thugs
  • Hulk upgrades. Implants? /insert picard_wtf_is_this_shit.gif
  • Graphical glitches. A lot of them.
  • Freezing during loading
  • "Oh hey, X is going to take a few minutes. Beat up bad guys until X is done!" Is there a shred of originality left with anyone in charge of the game's encounter design?
  • Similar fighting system for all heroes. Hulk dodging and countering in order to stay alive? See first bullet point.
  • Questionable voice acting for certain characters. (see: Thor)
  • Hulk opening chests by gently tapping them with his foot.
  • A ton of "battle passes" for dat time sink
  • AI can do basic fighting, but can't figure out objectives, etc.
  • Loot that doesn't really feel or look like upgrades for all heroes
Etc, etc...

ManaByte

The level designs, enemy/boss designs, the progression, it screams MP GaaS game, you cant tell me in straight face this game has same quality single player as other SP only games. The big selling point of this game is the MP.

Most of the SP levels are more like Crystal's Tomb Raider games than MP levels. Sounds like you only played the beta.

My take on this is this: it initially started as a singleplayer only game with ms marvel as the protagonist, a linear, tr-like game just like it is now, well almost. but SE decided, nah fuck that, you can't sell the game with her as a protag so lets market this as a full Avengers game and we'll make the end game as gaas as possible to have a constant income from it.

Top Bottom