• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces ’Old Man Logan’ prequel, ’Old Man Hawkeye’

Link.

90399cb6-e3e9-465e-968ups.jpeg

Marvel is ready to hit a bull's-eye with a new comic book series centering on its sharp-shooting archer, Hawkeye, which serves as a prequel to the wildly popular "Old Man Logan" saga.

Set 45 years in the future, the 12-issue series titled "Old Man Hawkeye" follows the heroic marksman as he embarks on a journey five years before the events of "Old Man Logan."

Like that original series, "Old Man Hawkeye" takes place in a dark world where Marvel's most ruthless super villains have banded together and overthrown the Avengers, leaving only a few survivors.

The new series is being penned by longtime Daily News reporter Ethan Sacks, who will tell the story of the aged Hawkeye — whose real name is Clint Barton — fighting to avenge his fallen comrades while he still can.

"In this story, he's losing his vision and that sort of forces him to confront something really horrible that happened to him personally 45 years ago, and go on his own hero's journey while he still can," Sacks told the Daily News.

"It's very much like a ticking clock that's forcing him into action."

Hawkeye served as the primary partner to Logan, aka Wolverine, in Mark Millar's "Old Man Logan" series, which launched in 2008. The skilled archer had already gone blind from glaucoma in those stories.

The first issue of the "Old Man Hawkeye" monthly series is set for release in January. Each book will be illustrated by popular Marvel artist Marco Checchetto, whose work can currently be seen in Marvel's ongoing "Star Wars: Captain Phasma" series.

"Old Man Hawkeye is, on its own terms, an epic story," Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso said.

"Readers will gain insight into previously established characters, explore new corners of the Wasteland, meet new characters, and discover exciting Easter eggs all throughout Clint's journey."

Hawkeye's journey will see him facing off against a slew of menacing villains, including Venom, as the hero ventures through a realm that's largely unknown to readers so far.

"This is a pretty rich world that we've only seen a little part of," Sacks said.

Hawkeye — who is portrayed in the Marvel movies by Jeremy Renner — doesn’t boast any actual super powers, but his wit and incredible aim with his bow and arrow help him survive.

The new series marks the second project for Sacks published by Marvel. He wrote an eight-page story about the Daily Bugle in the third issue of Marvel's "Secret Empire: Brave New World," which was released earlier this year.

It's been a dream come true for Sacks, a veteran of the newspaper industry for over 20 years, to write for Marvel. He grew up reading comic books and is a massive fan of Hawkeye as well as "Old Man Logan," making it even sweeter for him to write this prequel.

"My mom always used to say I spent far too much money on comic books," Sacks joked. "But look at me now."

Marvel are really milking OML now. First it had a Secret Wars book, then a ongoing with OML in the normal Marvel universe, then he joined pretty much all the X-Men team books and now this.

Hawkeye doing his best to fit in the Hokuto no Ken universe.

But damn, 12 issues of Old Man Hawkeye is a lot. I guess Millar's hex must be working.

krazen

Marvel are really milking OML now. First it had a Secret Wars book, then a ongoing with OML in the normal Marvel universe, then he joined pretty much all the X-Men team books and now this.

What sucks is arguably they ‘killed’ off Wolverine because he was beaten and battered after all those stories and retcons over the years..he was an easy cheap thrill sacrifice because where else could he go? They find a new fresh angle and once again...lets beat that idea to death.

What sucks is arguably they ‘killed’ off Wolverine because he was beaten and battered after all those stories and retcons over the years..he was an easy cheap thrill sacrifice because where else could he go? They find a new fresh angle and once again...lets beat that idea to death.
And now he’s back so the normal Marvel universe has 2 Logans and 4-5 other claw users with a healing factor.

LordRaptor

The new series marks the second project for Sacks published by Marvel. He wrote an eight-page story about the Daily Bugle in the third issue of Marvel's "Secret Empire: Brave New World," which was released earlier this year.

I'm not sure this is the endorsement that this series is going to be great that they think it is

RS4-

I wasn't too fascinated with OML. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I read it, but half of it feels like they just skip a bunch of issues by being in one spot in America, then somehow ending up on the other coast. It's like they couldn't wait to get it over with or ran out of things to write

Maybe I'll go through it again today

jph139

I'll never understand the love for the Old Man Logan universe. It's way too grim and edgy for me, even by the dubious standards of Mark Millar. But I guess this is a sensible way to tell more stories there.

In a lot of ways SW was the final Marvel story to tell, they've been spinning their wheels since then.

I think when you go on a book-by-book basis, Marvel has been putting out just as much quality as DC over the past two years or so. The problem is complete lack of direction - Rebirth feels like it has a unifying message, while Marvel is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Vic_Viper

Looking forward to the eventual death of Hawkeye and then the introduction of Old Man Hawkeye to the current Marvel books after this series ends lol.

I'll never understand the love for the Old Man Logan universe. It's way too grim and edgy for me, even by the dubious standards of Mark Millar. But I guess this is a sensible way to tell more stories there.
-Cool setting.
-Cool and fresh take on Logan, a character who had been around for at least 30 years by that point.
-"What If" futures are always fun to see.

Yeah it had some over the top gross stuff in it, but all in all I really enjoyed it. Plus Old Man Logan's solo, though it doesn't take place in his universe, is doing pretty well and is really damn good.

sinkfla87

I want EVEN OLDER OLD MAN MAGNETO. He spends 45 minutes trying to telekinetically summon the bed pan in his nursing home.

Top Bottom