• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces "Champions" with Waid/Ramos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Dick Rider is proof of one good story can make or break a character(except for Carol).

Truth.

tumblr_o7ovuatMn91r2kdz1o1_500.jpg

His mentor is a picture of a helmet somewhere in space.

And the girl he likes is about the other guy, if she's interested in anyone at all.

His book doubled down on the fact that no one really likes or cares about him.

Dude canonically has one friend

Living up to the legacy of Rider.

It was a 7 year run, hardly one story.

A 5 year run. Annihilation began in May 2006 and Thanos Imperative ended in January 2011. A 5 year run, 27 years into the character's publishing history, written by one writing team who doesn't work together anymore and turned the equally-maligned Guardians of the Galaxy into a tentpole Marvel book. It's revisionist history to believe that Richard Rider is an amazing character.

He began as a Spider-Man homage according to his creator, roughly crossed with Green Lantern. Once his series was cancelled, all relevant plotlines were handled in a different book and the character lapsed into nothing. Then New Warriors, where Rider was, for most of the run, the least interesting character on the team. He gets his own solo:

latest

(Look at that tagline)

That went nowhere. Erik Larsen revives it, lasts on 7 issues. Still not good. Then Abnett and Lanning. Then goodness and sunshine and life.

The only difference between Rider and his follower is two writers who will probably never touch the character again and Sam has had 4 years to suck (he debuted in 2012) instead of 27.

The Annihilation/Vol4/Conquest/Realm of Kings/Thanos Imperative line was great. I enjoyed reading it. But I also don't believe Richard Rider is somewhere better than his replacement. Rider had his great creative team. That time has passed.

IHaveIce

Banned
Young Avengers fused with original ultimate spider-man seems like the fitting description or goal they want to go for.

Well there is not one person besides MS.Marvel that is remotely interesting enough for me to care.

Neoxon

Young Avengers fused with original ultimate spider-man seems like the fitting description or goal they want to go for.

Well there is not one person besides MS.Marvel that is remotely interesting enough for me to care.
I mean, Miles is interesting, but that's about it. Though Mark Waid did make a promise to make us care about Young Cyclops.

kunonabi

I thought Ms. Marvel was already on a team(or 3)

eh, Cyclops and Vision are the only ones of interest so this seems like a pass to me.

Slayven

i wish the ultraverse opened back up
It is odd that New Universe characters got dug up, but not Malibu ones
Truth.

And the girl he likes is about the other guy, if she's interested in anyone at all.

Living up to the legacy of Rider.

A 5 year run. Annihilation began in May 2006 and Thanos Imperative ended in January 2011. A 5 year run, 27 years into the character's publishing history, written by one writing team who doesn't work together anymore and turned the equally-maligned Guardians of the Galaxy into a tentpole Marvel book. It's revisionist history to believe that Richard Rider is an amazing character.

He began as a Spider-Man homage according to his creator, roughly crossed with Green Lantern. Once his series was cancelled, all relevant plotlines were handled in a different book and the character lapsed into nothing. Then New Warriors, where Riders was, for most of the run, the least interesting character on the team. He gets his own solo:

latest

(Look at that tagline)

New warriors was sooooo good. Justice aka Marvel Boy might have been the real break out star. Dude went through some shit

Actually, I'm surprised this isn't called "New Warriors" instead of Champions. Maybe they have something planned with Night Thrasher.

Dalek

How did Cyclops get turned into a child.

there are 2 Cyclops. The "original" one who is an adult now and is missing.

About 4 years ago Beast went back in time and brought the original five X-Men to the present (long story). They are unable to return to their own time so the original 5 teenage X-Men are all running around. Which means there are duplicates of Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Angel-but only one teen Jean Grey.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is Rage still around these days? Last time I saw him it was in Avengers Academy.

He just popped up in Sam Wilson Captain America. Night Thrasher is back too.

Nighthawk seems to be dead, at least the classic one. Nu-Nighthawk probably won't be joining the new warriors.

Sandfox

Is Rage still around these days? Last time I saw him it was in Avengers Academy.

He recently appeared in the previous issue of
Sam Wilson: Captain America
and will seemingly be a big part of an upcoming storyline.

The last NEw Warrior series was lit. THe motherfucking Salem Seven? They knew how to warm my heart

Hahahaha are you in a treat, read Sam Wilson Captain America

Yost killed that book by taking far too long to set up the team.

Neoxon

How did Cyclops get turned into a child.
The Cyclops from the initial run of the X-Men (with the Original 5) were brought to their future/our present day. With Present Day Cyclops being presumed dead now, Young Cyclops is the only Cyclops in the main Marvel Universe.

Man, I miss the New Warriors. One of the few teams where I really liked every member.
Marvel tried to relaunch it not too long ago, but it didn't go over so well.

The last NEw Warrior series was lit. THe motherfucking Salem Seven? They knew how to warm my heart

Hahahaha are you in a treat, read Sam Wilson Captain America

He just popped up in Sam Wilson Captain America. Night Thrasher is back too.

Nighthawk seems to be dead, at least the classic one. Nu-Nighthawk probably won't be joining the new warriors.

He recently appeared in the previous issue of
Sam Wilson: Captain America
and will seemingly be a big part of an upcoming storyline.

Looks like I'm reading Sam Wilson now.

Slayven

Rage was so ahead of his time, a young black kid that appears older to everyone else and gets stronger the madder he gets? That is some deep meta commentary

Shaanyboi

Banned
Speaking of New Warriors, what the hell happened to Speedball? Did he just completely disappear after becoming Penance?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Speaking of New Warriors, what the hell happened to Speedball? Did he just completely disappear after becoming Penance?

He tried to start up the new warriors again and recruit Sam Alexander Nova, which was the short lived New Warriors Vol. 5.

Don't know if he's shown up since then.

How do this kids find the time to do all this superheroing and still find time to go to school and study?

They only really cover that for Ms. Marvel and Spider-Man. Kid Nova's book doesn't really touch it, Viv only attends school to understand humanity, Cho and Cyclops don't go to school at all.

Sandfox

They only really cover that for Ms. Marvel and Spider-Man. Kid Nova's book doesn't really touch it, Viv only attends school to understand humanity, Cho and Cyclops don't go to school at all.
They touch on it in Nova too, though Marvel could always go the Wolverine route lol.

Neoxon

So, any guesses on who's gonna lead the team? Since Mark Waid apparently fought like hell to get Young Cyclops on the team, he seems like a good candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom