• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Announces Promotion With Arms Manufacturer Northrop Grumman At NYCC

Bronx-Man

Banned
Gemüsepizza;251167145 said:
More details:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/06/avengers-northrop-grumman-comic/

avengersngens43sjs.jpg

What is this shit? Smh.
Is Kevin Feige the only person at Marvel keeping the company from being an entire trainwreck? What the living fuck is this?

kmfdmpig

Gemüsepizza;251167145 said:

That just seems bizarre.

I understand what Northrup Grumman is and what they do, but I don't see what their push for brand recognition from the general public is for. Why advertise during the SuperBowl and why moneyhat Marvel for PR? It seems like wasted money as the average guy on the street has no say in major weapons procurement. Do they think I'll become so enamored with Northrop Grumman due to an ad or comic that I'll call my senator and ask that they push for funding for more B-21s?

That just seems bizarre.

I understand what Northrup Grumman is and what they do, but I don't see what their push for brand recognition from the general public is for. Why advertise during the SuperBowl and why moneyhat Marvel for PR? It seems like wasted money as the average guy on the street has no say in major weapons procurement. Do they think I'll become so enamored with Northrop Grumman due to an ad or comic that I'll call my senator and ask that they push for funding for more B-21s?

It's PR. It's in-the-crib normalization of mass violence.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No doubt that they are more heavily invested in military hardware/software than Boeing or Airbus. However, we don't even know why Marvel is partnering with them.

If it's for their bombers, then yes, that would be very weird. If it's for the stuff they do for NASA, or an educational program, then the outrage should be the same as it would be for Airbus, Boeing, or any other company with military ties.

I mean it's not a surprise. There's a difference between a company who dabbles in defence contracts and company for which defence contrasts make up a substantial portion of their revenue and is linked with the company image,

I mean the army and navy have educational programmes. They would still rightly gain a wide eye from anyone looking at such a partnership.

There's numerous other companies that you could do such programmes with that aren't so heavily linked with military operations which draws a pertinent question of why?

Buckle

Jesus.

Wonder how Nick Spencer feels about this. Seems like the most politic guy there so curious how he might take it.

I imagine there are a lot of writers pretty disgusted with this.

HeatBoost

So this is how they're going to finally trump that ridiculous anti-weed comic they made in the 90s, eh?

wlzSJ3z.jpg

I guess "Get a job with the military industrial complex" is a slightly more helpful, it not slightly more repugnant message than "smoking marijuana will turn you into Golden Age Lois Lane with a comparable subconscious death wish"

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Oh my god, this is actually hilarious. You could literally not make this up, I don't think ANYONE would have seen this coming.

I have to say I'm somewhat confused by all the reactions on the thread. It's not something I'm excited for nor care about but I honestly don't understand a number of the extreme reactions/breaking point responses.

Zubz

Banned
They mostly make planes and military bombers. I'd be fucking stoked if they made a plane similar to the Agents of Shields plane or something, even if it was just a fake mock up for show.

Hopefully it's just planes, but even then, holy shit this is a poorly-timed decision.

EDIT: Never mind, should've refreshed before posting after leaving the window open. The shit?!

MsKrisp

Nice article there, pegging NG solely as an arms manufacturer and not a company that works on thousands of different types of contracts for local and federal government. Nope, no bias detected here at all

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nice article there, pegging NG solely as an arms manufacturer and not a company that works on thousands of different types of contracts for local and federal government. Nope, no bias detected here at all

Look at the comic. The article was on point.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
If anything I'm disappointed that the NGEN characters look kinda lame. Like, they're fronting for a defence company! Surely they should have Iron-Man esque power armor with built in weapons systems? Instead they look generic as all hell.

Necro

Banned
You have to be realistic. As long as there is a military, it will have aircraft, and you're not going to abolish the US Military. Even if we finally figured out how not to be awful to other countries, we still have a need to provide national defense.

The real ike warned us aout micc

notsol337

marked forever
I have to say I'm somewhat confused by all the reactions on the thread. It's not something I'm excited for nor care about but I honestly don't understand a number of the extreme reactions/breaking point responses.

It took me a minute, but I get it now. People have a hard time with any military contractor saying to kids "LOOK HOW COOL WE ARE" because it promotes the military-industrial complex. I can understand why people get upset about that.

What I didn't get was that it didn't matter to them which arm of that company was involved to them, because no matter what the company is evil. For some reason I didn't think about how the money flows, and now I feel dumb.

The real ike warned us aout micc

I do not know what that means.

I'm in the same boat right now

On top of being pretty self evident (partnering with war profiteers = bad!), it's been explained pretty thoroughly by several people throughout this thread. If you still don't get why this is bizarrely evil, you're either not arguing in good faith or are being willfully obtuse.

kswiston

I think they are pretty pro war, so much so that we got Civil War 2 when no one wanted it.

I think that he was talking about Bleeding Cool.

Superhero comics in general tend to be pro-violence, as long as said violence can be rationalized as defensive. The X-Men rode around in an SR-71, and have been a militant group in many eras of their history. Iron Man and Captain America/Steve Rogers both ran SHIELD in recent years. Military-esque tech has always been glorified.

I agree that superhero comic books don't need to be pushing real-life military companies, but they feed into that glorification in the same way that Call of Duty does, even if both often have anti-war messages in their actual stories.

Top Bottom