• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Announces Promotion With Arms Manufacturer Northrop Grumman At NYCC

Nyanmaruz

feige.jpg

I keep expecting to swing by this thread and see a nice wrap up post that puts this all in context but every time I dip in it's just more and more nonsensical?!

What even is this?

I'm at NYCC and let me tell you something, Marvel panels are....not good. It feels like there's absolutely no energy at the company at all. Not to say that this move is related to that, but Marvel has been fucking up a lot for years now.

DC meanwhile filled up the equivalent of Hall H for NYCC with their Doomsday Clock panel.

mreddie

I'm at NYCC and let me tell you something, Marvel panels are....not good. It feels like there's absolutely no energy at the company at all. Not to say that this move is related to that, but Marvel has been fucking up a lot for years now.

DC meanwhile filled up the equivalent of Hall H for NYCC with their Doomsday Clock panel.

Not shocking, one side is only on top because they glut the comic market.

mreddie

The rage is understandable, this is basically to inspire kids for STEM even though the company is connected to fucked up things.

But by that logic, should we freak out if DC makes a comic with Jeep who makes Army vehicles? A Nestle tie in even though they are buying up water reservoirs? Chick fil A?

kirblar

Comics wise Marvel has been making misstep after misstep for a while now.

Hsieh

This is probably related to the Captain Marvel movie. Carol is an airforce pilot and a deal with Northrop Grumman would get Marvel access to planes as movie props.

Adnor

Banned
Did... did they see the reactions to Secret Empire and took all the wrong notes? How the hell does this even happen???

Yes, a PMC comprised of instruction pilots, welders, mechanics, and firefighters.

Calm down.
Their PR marketing sure isn't conveying any of that. Maybe Marvel should go into detail on why they're supporting this company instead of, "Hey guys! We're proud sponsors of this company that has a huge stealth jet representing them and also sounds like a Metal Gear PMC group! Please be happy for us for once!"

Marvel is currently in damage control mode and they aren't doing it properly.

Marvel did have a book that supported women in STEM. It was called The Unstoppable Wasp and it featured interviews with female scientists at the end of each issue. They cancelled it after 8 issues.

sant

Because people think they made guns, when called out for being misleading they double down for a general dislike of all things military.

Gotcha. Why do Liberals hate the only industry that the US is still undisputedly number 1 in? Employs a lot of people and lots of trickle down from the technological innovations

SRG01

For little girls it was fine.

Did the intended audience actually buy it though?

I mean, it's one thing to publish a book with good role models and premise, but actually reaching your intended base and getting them to buy your product is another matter altogether.

It's the same thing with Totally Awesome Hulk. Sure, it has some pretty good (and relatable) Asian themes, but that book has zero marketing and zero mindshare.

Because people think they made guns, when called out for being misleading they double down for a general dislike of all things military.

It's one thing to like the military, it's another to normalize military and the military-industrial complex for normal civilians. And I say this as someone who participated in youth cadet corps until shortly before my university years.

wandering

Banned

I mean I actually did know what they were and disliked it because I’m not a fan of the military industrial complex but that’s just me

It's one thing to like the military, it's another to normalize military and the military-industrial complex for normal civilians. And I say this as someone who participated in youth cadet corps until shortly before my university years.

Isn't it a bit late for that though? I'm currently studying aerospace and there's not a single student here that doesn't think the F-22 Raptor is the sexiest beast around.

I mean I actually did know what they were and disliked it because I’m not a fan of the military industrial complex but that’s just me

That's fine, I have nothing against that.

While I am not inherently against the idea of Marvel teaming up with Northrup Grumman, holy smokes they totally botched this.

If they wanted to do a comic book and team up with northrup grumman to promote stem, cool.

But to announce this on twitter without really any explanation after what happened Monday is just really bad optics.

Shauni

This is probably related to the Captain Marvel movie. Carol is an airforce pilot and a deal with Northrop Grumman would get Marvel access to planes as movie props.

Not saying anything about the partnership, but they don't need that for such a thing.

SRG01

Isn't it a bit late for that though? I'm currently studying aerospace and there's not a single student here that doesn't think the F-22 Raptor is the sexiest beast around.

It's never too late. That's like saying society can't progress beyond its current ideals.

Event cancelled, it's a start. I'm just baffled that they thought this would go over well in the first place and that the fans at NYCC would be even remotely interested in such a partnership.

Event cancelled, it's a start. I'm just baffled that they thought this would go over well in the first place and that the fans at NYCC would be even remotely interested in such a partnership.
The company still has Marvel stuff all over their twitter profile so the partnership is probably still intact.

What's y'alls opinions on the military working with Hollywood? Serious question

Always been annoyed by the glorification of military done by movies, disgusting propaganda. Worst offenders are movies that are nothing but circle jerk saying how omnipotence force of good the military is and how it cannot and will not do anything bad or wrong ever.

Really interested to see how american audience will react to chinese taking more of that spotlight in future, already in some movies we have seen scenes specially designed to cater chinese nationalism and improve chinese government image aboard.

How many of Hollywood studios would be willing to say no to Wolfwarrior 2 amount of money and/or access to chinese film market, not many I can bet
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfwarrior2.htm

The company still has Marvel stuff all over their twitter profile so the partnership is probably still intact.

Oh yeah, no doubt. That's why I said it's a start. They just want to avoid the immediate backlash. I expect nothing else to change honestly, they'll just keep it low-key from now on, at least on the Marvel side.

It's never too late. That's like saying society can't progress beyond its current ideals.

You’ll be struggling to convince people military stuff aren’t cool. Hell we still lust after the things made from medieval periods.

The military has been normalized already, it’s no longer a secret circle of people.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Really interested to see how american audience will react to chinese taking more of that spotlight in future, already in some movies we have seen scenes specially designed to cater chinese nationalism and improve chinese government image aboard.

How many of Hollywood studios would be willing to say no to Wolfwarrior 2 amount of money and/or access to chinese film market, not many I can bet
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfwarrior2.htm

No joke, I've always thought a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield but with the spotlight on the PLA like the normal games do around the US military would be a neat change of pace. Are there any good films about the Chinese military available in the West?

Jackpot

Banned
No joke, I've always thought a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield but with the spotlight on the PLA like the normal games do around the US military would be a neat change of pace. Are there any good films about the Chinese military available in the West?

Not that I've found. Wolf Warriors 1 & 2 are clunky and unsubtle even next to the most corny US propo. Operation Mekong is another film talked about in the same breath as those. Sky Hunter has just released, which I'll only see because I want to see the J10 in action.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...top-gun-and-rambo-in-wave-of-patriotic-movies

As for video games, there's one called Glorious Mission created in the same vein as American's Army. There's a free multiplayer version, and a singleplayer version restricted to the military that leaked. It's pretty competent, covers all the same bases as CoD - beach landings, marking targets for air strike, stealth sniper mission, vehicle mission, etc.

Arma 2 has a Czech Republic army expansion. And all the Arma series have mod packs consisting of individual countries' weapons & vehicles.

Can't remember names of the movies, but there is couple of good korean war movies. I heard of them from here, so someone else can probably give names.

That sure could be fun change of pace to see other armies then US military doing the heroics, even more to my taste if it kept the good guys human and not fantasy heroes. Would even take good WW2 game/movie with new country.

Ovid

Northrup Grumman makes software that drives aircraft. They're an aeronautic/aerospace company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman
How can you link this Wikipedia article and still be ignorant as to what they do? Makes no damn sense.

"They're a aeronautic/aerospace company". Okay...they build weapons of war, in their case, bombers and dabble in space tech.Trying to make it sound all politically correct for no reason.

Tosyn_88

Yes, a PMC comprised of instruction pilots, welders, mechanics, and firefighters.

Calm down.

Private Military Contractors (PMC)

What part of that screams mechanic to you? Also, you know soldiers are trained in those things for survival right?

Tosyn_88

How can you link this Wikipedia article and still be ignorant as to what they do? Makes no damn sense.

"They're a aeronautic/aerospace company". Okay...they build weapons of war, in their case, bombers and dabble in space tech.Trying to make it sound all politically correct for no reason.

Most rocket makers are often defense contractors which means they have subsidiaries making military misile systems and bombs. They often also have sister companies that sell small arms or hire private security aka PMC

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Not that I've found. Wolf Warriors 1 & 2 are clunky and unsubtle even next to the most corny US propo. Operation Mekong is another film talked about in the same breath as those. Sky Hunter has just released, which I'll only see because I want to see the J10 in action.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...top-gun-and-rambo-in-wave-of-patriotic-movies

That's a shame. This did remind me of a show though that I'd heard of before that was supposed to be good: Soldier's Sortie. I haven't watched it, I only remembered it because there was that shot from it where the guy's face became a meme.

EDIT: from that article

Wolf Warrior 2 tells the story of Leng Feng, a musclebound, child-saving, grenade-lobbing, beer-guzzling, tank-racing Adonis described by critics as a Chinese fusion of Die Hard’s John McClane, Rambo, Jason Bourne and 24’s Jack Bauer.

that sounds prettttty rad

Top Bottom