• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Avengers SDCC 2019: a small leak of a gameplay section

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, I guess that looks exactly how I'd expect it to look.

I still think not having the MCU likenesses is gonna sit weird with a lot of people. While a lot of us will understand why they haven't/couldn't do that, I feel a lot of the general public will take one look and walk away because they look like "b-team Avengers".

Zannegan

Looks... cinematic. *shrug*

I know it's just a tutorial level, but nothing on display here is really grabbing me. If the game opens up a bit later on, I'd be interested in seeing that, but so far, so meh (visual presentation aside, of course).

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Geez. They're really not sugarcoating the gameplay with a Comic Code friendly Avengers of old. These Avengers actually kill people. You can't tell me that Thor throwing Mjolnir at some thugs knocks them out. Hulk slamming some mooks repeatedly on the ground is sure to reduce them to fleshy mush.

It looks okay so far. Gameplay looks decent, though a bit simplistic, compared to Insomiac's Spider-Man. Hopefully the combat opts for more complexity after this. Not really sold on the flying gameplay for Iron Man.

Dibils2k

all i hear is nathan drake when ironman talks...

i wish they used unknown or atleast less popular voice actors

mcz117chief

Classic, bad guys with guns standing around or moving to melee range...so fucking low. It jarred me as fuck in the movies and it looks as stupid here.

mckmas8808

Banned
I thought it looked good. I feel like it may need another year of development. So obviously they'll have to apply full crunch mode to get it out by April.

radewagon

I just got done playing Bloodborne (great game BTW) and I had to often choose between faster lighter attacks and incredibly punishing slow attacks. The thing about those slow attacks is that they are a great risk/reward mechanic because swinging a greatsword takes a ridiculous amount of time and during that time multiple enemies can interrupt you mid combo and kill you dead. Why am I bringing this up?

I dunno.... why is Thor's punch combo animation slower that a Soulsbourne heavy attack? Why are the enemies patiently waiting for him to finish attacking their buddy before patiently waiting to almost attack as Thor lumbers forward? Why are they telegraphing their projectile attacks?

This game looks slow and boring. Hope they speed it up. I loves me some Avengers.

mckmas8808

Banned
I just got done playing Bloodborne (great game BTW) and I had to often choose between faster lighter attacks and incredibly punishing slow attacks. The thing about those slow attacks is that they are a great risk/reward mechanic because swinging a greatsword takes a ridiculous amount of time and during that time multiple enemies can interrupt you mid combo and kill you dead. Why am I bringing this up?

I dunno.... why is Thor's punch combo animation slower that a Soulsbourne heavy attack? Why are the enemies patiently waiting for him to finish attacking their buddy before patiently waiting to almost attack as Thor lumbers forward? Why are they telegraphing their projectile attacks?

This game looks slow and boring. Hope they speed it up. I loves me some Avengers.

Thor's combo are WAAAAY too slow. It looks like they are going for a God of War fight mechanic with Thor, but they got EVERYTHING wrong. It's too sluggish.

Verdanth

Glad spider-man is not on this one, otherwise he would be slow as fuck too.

Thor fighting human soldiers feels pretty wrong. Iron man flying... honestly Anthem looks way better.

Hulk actually looked good.

But overall overly slow and cinematic.

NickFire

I skipped around the video but overall thought it looked alright. I fall into the camp that does not care about the MCU likenesses. As much as I would prefer the faces I associate with the characters, the reports on what they charge would put a real hamper on their development budget IMO.

Arachnid

It looks pretty I guess, but really linear/scripted. I don't see much strategy or depth. For everything I've seen of this game so far, it looks like you'd get near the same experience just watching someone else play through it on a stream or something. Kind of boring.

Also, the dialogue seems really corny and unimaginative.

"Thank you Thor! Go Thor!"
"Get to safety, kind citizen!"

"Tell Fury I'm very displeased with his actions!"
"Yes, Mr. Stark."
"Oh, uh, I didn't know you were still listening, heh."

:/

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

The design is just of putting for me. I don't need mcu faces but at least the gear. All looks 10 times better from a design standpoint...

I feel like this game is going to flop. People love Marvel, but this game is not showing well. It seems so bland. But, I might just be bitter that we're getting this instead of another Deus Ex.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This just me, but I feel like this game is trying too hard be Marvel movie instead of proper Marvel game, it feels like it's too on rails.

Silent Duck

Roger Corman's Avengers
giphy.gif

Romulus

The level design was like 4 miles of one path maybe 60ft wide with cars and fence "barriers." Incredibly linear. Visuals look really good, but as others have said, the combat appears too slow. It also suffers from the Assassin's Creed 2007 AI of enemies just standing around waiting their turn to die while they're buddies are killed off. And lol @ at the enemies running at the Hulk with batons wtf

Doesn't look bad or anything but doesn't look too exciting either. I'll wait for more footage down the line before I really start to judge it though.

MiguelItUp

I think it's just really strange that they tried to pull off a semi-MCU look without having the likenesses of the actors and actresses. I mean, why not just kind of do your own thing, at least even more so? I mean, sure, a lot of us understand why they couldn't use their likenesses, but that doesn't change the fact that it makes it look weird. I mean,

That being said, sure this is an early demo, but this gameplay really doesn't look like anything to write home about IMO.

What's funny / sad is there are other games that animated this type of thing a million times better.

Like the flying animations in Anthem look way better than the flying animations for Iron Man.

Meanwhile, the animation of throwing and retrieving the melee weapon looks literal generations better in God of War vs Thor's animations here. There is no sensation of weight or heft with Mjolnir the way there is with the Leviathan axe.

Hoping to see a lot more polish before Avengers lands.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Who recorded that? Abraham Zapruder? 🤔

D.Final

Banned
I was very impressed with the gameplay of the game :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

We see that there is the creator of the new God of War (2018) behind the BS of several characters in this Marvel Avengers game, like Thor and Captain America.

However, I am now curious to see a new trailer for Gamescom.
With new settings, and new things to discover.
To see how the openworld game management will look like.

I can't wait to see more.

Yeah, I guess that looks exactly how I'd expect it to look.

I still think not having the MCU likenesses is gonna sit weird with a lot of people. While a lot of us will understand why they haven't/couldn't do that, I feel a lot of the general public will take one look and walk away because they look like "b-team Avengers".
With the success of Spiderman and several other comic book games I also find it hard to imagine this "sitting weird" with a lot of people. It's not like we already have several different versions of these characters already over an array of media.

Imtjnotu

Because he's always been able to do that. He uses the hammer to propel himself which looks like flying. Even without comic knowledge you should now this from the movies.
but Thor is flying around and floating around with out the use of mjolnir here. How the hell is that even possible. He has to use the momentum to propel himself and now he is floating around like iron man 😂

Last edited:
but Thor is flying around and floating around with out the use of mjolnir here. How the hell is that even possible. He has to use the momentum to propel himself and now he is floating around like iron man 😂
Are you familiar with helicopters? He can also do that. Seriously read some comics.

Just an extra thought: how is it even possible for a thunder God to exist?

Imtjnotu

Are you familiar with helicopters? He can also do that. Seriously read some comics.

Just an extra thought: how is it even possible for a thunder God to exist?
If you actually looked. mjolnir is by his side not spinning like a helicopter as he floats around. I don't know about your comment after about a thunder God, but I just want it to be realistic like the comics or even the movie. So again show me a helicopter twirl 41 seconds while he floating

Smoke6

They shoulda took Anthem and built an avengers game around that, foundation is already there and looks hella nice especially the flying!

Top Bottom