• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

noah111

Still Alive
I don't think so. There was a movie that was pretty far along in production (it was supposed to shoot last year for release this year) but Marvel stalled on it.
Yeah, this is the last I heard about it;

Drew Pearce said:
Basically, ‘The Avengers' came along and everything else at Marvel got put on hold for a year. But the script is there, we're good go. It's kind of like [being] at the airport when you're waiting for your slot to take off with Marvel, and we're hoping we get a slot next year. Fingers crossed. They're very happy with it, so hopefully it happens.

Perhaps that's what we'll see alongside Captain America 2 in the mid/late 2014, with CA2 occupying the spring. Definitely seems plausible to me.

Bleepey

Sentry you are a cunt. Time for spoiler talk and then having uncensored spoilers makes you a dickhead. I hope you are aware of this. Fuck this thread I am out.

Alias TV Series: In December 2010, it was reported that Twilight screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg is developing a series for ABC titled, AKA Jessica Jones based on the comic book series, Alias created by Brian Michael Bendis. In November 2011, Rosenberg stated that the TV show would center on Jessica Jones and would have principal parts for Luke Cage and Carol Danvers. She also confirmed that the TV series would absolutely take place in the larger "cinematic" Marvel Universe and Tony Stark and Stark Industries are in the current pilot script but admitted, "As we go along things will alter in terms of what is made available to us, but we're definitely in that universe. We are in no way denying that that universe exists. And as much as I can I'm going to pull everything in from there that I can use"

this amuses me. They probably can't call it Alias as that was already used by the garner/JJabrahams spy show. Also never heard of this before.

+

I think if they released ANTMAN as antman at the cineplexes; it is going to bomb big.

Slayven

this amuses me. They probably can't call it Alias as that was already used by the garner/JJabrahams spy show. Also never heard of this before.

+

I think if they released ANTMAN as antman at the cineplexes; it is going to bomb big.
Don't worry Pym has many many different code names.

ReiGun

I still say Antman's movie should be a fun, romantic-comedy/action superhero flick with the Wasp. I don't think you can really do a straight up action movie with Antman.

And no. He can't beat Wasp in the movie.

Edit: A friend of mine once said he didn't want an Antman/Wasp movie because he didn't want to see an inch tall Rosario Dawson, and now I can't get the idea of her playing Janet out of my head. Probably won't happen, of course, but it's just an image stuck in my head.

Vega

Personally I think Ant-Man is incredibly lame. But since the Marvel movies don't take themselves seriously they could probably pull it off. Well, as long as they acknowledge how silly a live action Ant-Man movie really is. Could be fun.

More of a comedic actor but I think Jason Bateman could be a good Hank Pym.
jason_bateman.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
Don't worry Pym has many many different code names.
I still say Antman's movie should be a fun, romantic-comedy/action superhero flick with the Wasp. I don't think you can really do a straight up action movie with Antman.

And no. He can't beat Wasp in the movie.
You guys are forgetting that from what we know, the movie will only feature Pym in a 1960s setting, with a flash forward to modern day being centered around Scott Lang becoming Ant-Man/picking up the mantle, etc.

Another aspect that could hint at this being true is a scene in Thor where Selvig (the scientist who's also in Avengers) says he should email his friend who has experience with SHIELD, referring to Pym. But if he's Pym is his friend who has a lot of 'experience, and Selvig is on the older side, couldn't that lend credence that they're sticking with the old script of a Pym being set in the 60s and not in the modern day?

The problem with this of course, is that if they focus on the Scott Lang version version of Ant-Man being in the modern day, then you lose the Wasp character entirely. Unless they're willing to bend the facts.. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes to be of the Ant-Man movie. If there is no Wasp, I feel like they'd be missing out on a huge opportunity to do a duet hero situation unlike in any of the movies so far.

Sentry you are a cunt. Time for spoiler talk and then having uncensored spoilers makes you a dickhead. I hope you are aware of this. Fuck this thread I am out.
berneydidnotread.gif

see OP & thread title,
no need to be a vulgar prick

It'll be either Runaways or Guardians of the Galaxy for May 2014. But given the Thanos teaser, I'm kind of leaning more towards the latter as the likeliest candidate.
I think it's more accurate to bunch up the Inhumans with Guardians of the Galaxy (if we're speaking either/or) than GotG with Runaways.

I think an Inhumans movie could be an awesome way to take the few space-aspets of the Thor universe and focus on it, and at the same time it would give Marvel Studios it's own 'X-Men' of sorts.

I would love for that to happen more than Runaways tbh, a good space focused super hero movie is something we haven't seen in a long time, if ever..

But back to Odin's vault in Thor 1 for a second, I found this bit of an interview to be interesting;

Kevin Feige said:
I’m not sure about Doctor Strange in particular. Oh, I know what they are talking about. That is not Doctor Strange. It is right out of Thor … I think it’s called “The Warlock’s Eye” … But everything in that vault and everything you might see if you pause and look behind people’s shoulders or as the Einherjar soldiers are walking past – everyone of those has a story and it is from the books. There is Thanos’ glove, or certainly a glove that looks like it could be Thanos’ gauntlet, is in there for sure. The Warlock’s Eye thing is in there. There are some swords. There is a sword there that may or may not be eternal. There are a number of things. There is even one, and in fact I’m not sure if you can see this in the movie or not, but there is one that is empty. There was one sort of subchamber of the vault that didn’t have anything in it. So the question is “What used to be in it?"

Blader

I think it's more accurate to bunch up the Inhumans with Guardians of the Galaxy (if we're speaking either/or) than GotG with Runaways.

I only said Runaways because it's actually pretty far along in pre-production, whereas things on Inhumans have been pretty silent it was first announced (and that wasn't even really an announcement to begin with). I do think the May 2014 title will end up being Guardians, and that the Thanos scene is more of a teaser for that than Avengers 2.

edit - and I think the missing item from the vault that Feige is hinting at is supposed to be the tesseract.

noah111

Still Alive
I only said Runaways because it's actually pretty far along in pre-production, whereas things on Inhumans have been pretty silent it was first announced (and that wasn't even really an announcement to begin with). I do think the May 2014 title will end up being Guardians, and that Thanos scene is more of a teaser for that than Avengers 2.

edit - and I think the missing item from the vault that Feige is hinting at is supposed to be the tesseract.
True, Runaways seem the furthest along of those three. I still hope they peruse Inhumans more.

And god damn that's probably true; I didn't even think of that! :lol

noah111

Still Alive
I don't see the Marvel Illuminati ever taking place before Avengers 3. So by that time (2020?!) perhaps Marvel will have regained those rights? Though tbh, I don't see Illuminati working well in the MCU.

noah111

Still Alive
^For sure. Unfortunately we know pretty much for certain that won't be Captain America 2. And i'm sure CA3 will reintroduce the Red Skull, perhaps Africa then?

shira

This is a bit old but all the more relevant with the Thanos reveal. It's the contents from Odin's vault. http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/...t-art-reveals-cosmic-weapons-from-odins-vault

If the Gauntlet is still there in the events of Thor 1, it's possible that there could be a post-credits scene in Thor 2 showing Thanos gearing up and stealing it, or alternatively just have the camera zoom in on it disappearing, etc.

Confirmed;

Eternal Flame (top, left) - Mystical flame that cannot be extinguished. It was stolen from Surtur by Odin, Vili, and Ve Borson at the dawn of time so that Surtur could not light his sword and bring about Ragnarok.

Infinity Gauntlet (right) - The Infinity Gauntlet was designed to hold six of the 'soul gems', better known as the Infinity Gems. When used in combination their already impressive powers made the wearer nearly invincible.

Warlock's Eye (bottom, center) - A powerful, mystical weapon used unsuccessfully against Odin, Thor and the Warriors Three during an invasion of Asgard.

Twilight Sword (not pictured) - Created by Surtur using the energy of the exploding home galaxy of the Korbinites, it was intended to set the universe afire. Later used as a power source by Loki & Morgan Le Fay.

Unconfirmed;

Orb of Agamotto (top,left center) - A scrying crystal ball used by Doctor Strange for clairvoyance. It has been known to open gateways between dimensions

Tablet of Life & Time (top, right center) - On the tablet was a biochemical formula for a serum, the so-called Lifeline Formula, which could rejuvinate, heal and grant its user the chance to reach the full evolutionary potential of its race turning the user into an immortal near omnipotent being.

vaultodin.jpg
Which version is he? It would be weird for non marvel fans to see this orange and purple guy.

duckroll

Here are my guesses for where the MCU will go post-Avengers:

Iron Man 3 - I think it'll be a mix of Extremis and Stark Resilient, with Stark trying to push his clean energy drive into China when the US government is less than willing, only to find the project sabotaged by a larger political/corporate power play when someone unleashes the Extremis virus.

Thor 2 - No idea but I hope it involves the Infinity Gauntlet being stolen or Odin's Vault being raided in some way. :p

Captain America 2 - Winter Soldier. It's clearly the fan favorite choice at this point, and it'll fit perfectly with Steve Rogers taking on a more active role within SHIELD while at the same time facing a part of his past coming back to haunt him. It'll also provide the perfect catalyst for more WW2 flashbacks.

Avengers 2 - Infinity Gauntlet. There's no other way. The ante must go up all the way.

Salsa

Iron Man 3 - I think it'll be a mix of Extremis and Stark Resilient, with Stark trying to push his clean energy drive into China when the US government is less than willing, only to find the project sabotaged by a larger political/corporate power play when someone unleashes the Extremis virus.

Thor 2 - No idea but I hope it involves the Infinity Gauntlet being stolen or Odin's Vault being raided in some way. :p

Captain America 2 - Winter Soldier. It's clearly the fan favorite choice at this point, and it'll fit perfectly with Steve Rogers taking on a more active role within SHIELD while at the same time facing a part of his past coming back to haunt him. It'll also provide the perfect catalyst for more WW2 flashbacks.

Avengers 2 - Infinity Gauntlet. There's no other way. The ante must go up all the way.

I think Drew Pearce confirmed Iron Man 3 to be mostly based on Extremis.

I really hope the infinity gems are involved in each one of the forthcoming films in some way to build up for Thanos in Avengers 2 and they just ignore the fact that the Infinity Gauntlet was already there formed in Thor 1, wich was silly.

edit: oh and YES! to Winter Soldier

Seriously? I can't see it working to be honest. Going up against an immortal, all powerful beast like Thanos so soon just doesn't seem all that 'realistic', especially with just the four avengers and Thanos doesn't really strike me as someone who get his hands dirty unless he really has to.

I think building him up some more in the sequel (show him making plans to invade or something) makes more sense with his being the end game villain in 3.

As someone mentioned, the masters of evil would work well in an Avengers sequel, they could also tie it into Thanos being the one behind them joining forces to take out the avengers.

duckroll

Seriously? I can't see it working to be honest. Going up against an immortal, all powerful beast like Thanos so soon just doesn't seem all that 'realistic', especially with just the four avengers and Thanos doesn't really strike me as someone who get his hands dirty unless he really has to.

I think building him up some more in the sequel (show him making plans to invade or something) makes more sense with his being the end game villain in 3.

As someone mentioned, the masters of evil would work well in an Avengers sequel, they could also tie it into Thanos being the one behind them joining forces to take out the avengers.

They wouldn't be going up against Thanos so soon. It wouldn't just be the current 6 Avengers either, unless you think Marvel Studios is going to sit on their ass for the next 4-5 years doing nothing. Avengers isn't going to be a 2014 movie. We're looking at Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 in 2013, with Captain America 2 and other potential unconfirmed projects in 2014. Avengers 2 could be 2015, or they could wait even longer if they have good properties in the pipeline to build it up further.

Avengers was a long-term plan, and Avengers 2 will be a long-term plan too imo. By the time the shit hits the fan again, the world will be ready.

shira

So the gauntlet is already completed with gems inplace?
Kinda silly having that in a vault. Why didn't Loki get that first?

duckroll

So the gauntlet is already completed with gems inplace?
Kinda silly having that in a vault. Why didn't Loki get that first?

Well, Loki -is- pretty dumb. :p

Plus, he probably doesn't really know what most of the treasures really are.

noah111

Still Alive

Sounds spot on for IM3, and I hope that's what happens in CA2 even though I have a feeling it'll be more of him getting adjusted to modern day life and mannerism, etc.

Thor 2 will be focused on him and Jane, exploring their relationship along with checking out the 9 realms instead of just two. If Thanos/Gauntlet comes into play, I feel like it'd be at the end/cliff hanger style.

Avengers 2 will need to be about Thanos in some way, but I hope we have some backstory instead of just throwing them all together again. I want to know that they've done this more than once..

deleted

I just realized that Marvel won't reboot any of their franchises, as long as they keep making new Avenger movies, right? I don't follow their comic output, how are they handling that issue there?
Do they set individual series back, but keep advancing the overall stories?

It will be great, if they keep expanding the MCU for more than one trilogy a franchise until they reboot everything.

duckroll

Sounds spot on for IM3, and I hope that's what happens in CA2 even though I have a feeling it'll be more of him getting adjusted to modern day life and mannerism, etc.

Thor 2 will be focused on him and Jane, exploring their relationship along with checking out the 9 realms instead of just two. If Thanos/Gauntlet comes into play, I feel like it'd be at the end/cliff hanger style.

Avengers 2 will need to be about Thanos in some way, but I hope we have some backstory instead of just throwing them all together again. I want to know that they've done this more than once..

I think that they can do both that as well as Winter Soldier for Captain America 2. Remember that at the core of it, the Winter Soldier arc was also a sort of "reset" for Captain America in the modern day, after the Avengers broke up in the comics and he was adjusting back to working for SHIELD and so on. They can easily retool that into something that fits the movie continuity imo.

Any ideas about Thor? I'm not that familiar with Thor in the comics, so I'm less certain of what good directions they might go there, other than letting the Gauntlet out somehow to set up Thanos further.

I just realized that Marvel won't reboot any of their franchises, as long as they keep making new Avenger movies, right? I don't follow their comic output, how are they handling that issue there?

It will be great, if they keep expanding the MCU for more than one trilogy a franchise until they reboot everything.

They won't be rebooting anything. Reboots is not how the Marvel Universe works. Instead they do "resets" of sort where sometimes they have a big universe wide event that levels the playing field and breaks up relationships and pre-established alliances and teams, and after that they pick up the pieces again on all the individual titles, making it a bit easier for newer readers to pick up. And from there they build up new story arcs for the next few years.

noah111

Still Alive
^That's right, since these are Marvel Studio films, so the rights of the characters are not being licensed out as they do with Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, X-Men, Daredevil etc.

That way they will never be forced to do a reboot or else give up the rights, as what happened with SM for example.

Dumb question maybe, but what's going on with X-Men and Fantastic Four nowadays? They will probably do new movies of those series, too, right?

And I'd like a seperate Deadpool-movie.

duckroll

Dumb question maybe, but what's going on with X-Men and Fantastic Four nowadays? They will probably do new movies of those series, too, right?

That's all under Fox, so it's not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Spider-man is Sony. Fox is going to go forward with a new Wolverine movie and a sequel to X-Men First Class next. They're also planning a Fantastic Four reboot. Unrelated to this thread though.

noah111

Still Alive
That's all under Fox, so it's not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Spider-man is Sony. Fox is going to go forward with a new Wolverine movie and a sequel to X-Men First Class next. They're also planning a Fantastic Four reboot. Unrelated to this thread though.
As well as a Daredevil reboot. But yeah, those are unrelated to the MCU and aren't connected in any way, story or otherwise.

I'm really interested if they decide to go ahead and do a Hulk movie in 2014/2015 after CA2. I don't think it could work, it would need to be entirely different from the formula of the previous films.

duckroll

As well as a Daredevil reboot. But yeah, those are unrelated to the MCU and aren't connected in any way, story or otherwise.

I'm really interested if they decide to go ahead and do a Hulk movie in 2014/2015 after CA2. I don't think it could work, it would need to be entirely different from the formula of the previous films.

They need to do something FUN with the Hulk. That's what Whedon really nailed in Avengers which both Hulk movies failed to address. It's hard for the typical Banner-on-the-run and Hulk-smash-city-rampage thing to resonate well with audiences when we've seen it all before. At best it's entertaining, at worst it's boring, but it's never special.

They should go all out and like the Hulk just have crazy fun adventures. Or, just give people what they want, and make a Hulk vs Iron Man movie. :D

deleted

They won't be rebooting anything. Reboots is not how the Marvel Universe works. Instead they do "resets" of sort where sometimes they have a big universe wide event that levels the playing field and breaks up relationships and pre-established alliances and teams, and after that they pick up the pieces again on all the individual titles, making it a bit easier for newer readers to pick up. And from there they build up new story arcs for the next few years.

^That's right, since these are Marvel Studio films, so the rights of the characters are not being licensed out as they do with Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, X-Men, Daredevil etc.

That way they will never be forced to do a reboot or else give up the rights, as what happened with SM for example.

I see, so they'll most likely take the James Bond route with their characters. New look and feel, new actor, but same universe acknowledging the existence of the characters beforehand.

Cheebo

Banned

X-Men First Class 2 begins shooting in Jan, and Fox is in process of making a reboot to both Daredevil and Fantastic Four.

None of these are part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe however.

Solo

I also take it that Lawrence must be shooting HG2 in summer/fall 2012 if she's shooting FC2 in January.

Solo

It'll be summer 2014. Christmas would be way too fast of a turnaround. Even faster than FC1, which was fucking TIGHT.

Cheebo

Banned
It'll be summer 2014. Christmas would be way too fast of a turnaround. Even faster than FC1, which was fucking TIGHT.

Plus this type of movie is better fit for the summer.

My one worry is while I love Jennifer Lawrence and what she did in the first First Class that Hunger Games mania will make Fox force Vaughn & co to make Mystique the lead and revolve the whole movie around her.

Solo

My one worry is while I love Jennifer Lawrence and what she did in the first First Class that Hunger Games mania will make Fox force Vaughn & co to make Mystique the lead and revolve the whole movie around her.

Fassbender has also blown up. I suspect FC2 will be the Magneto/Mystique show, with McAvoy's X getting the short end of the stick.

Fassbender has also blown up. I suspect FC2 will be the Magneto/Mystique show, with McAvoy's X getting the short end of the stick.

Which is sad, because McAvoy was fantastic as Prof.X. His relationship with Magneto was definitely the highlight of that movie. Mystique was just ok in FC, though I really find Lawrence good in everything else I have seen her in.

Cheebo

Banned
Which is sad, because McAvoy was fantastic as Prof.X. His relationship with Magneto was definitely the highlight of that movie. Mystique was just ok in FC, though I really find Lawrence good in everything else I have seen her in.

Yeah I hope McAvoy doesn't get pushed to the sidelines since Fassbender and Lawrence have risen in fame since FC1 and he hasn't. At least Matthew Vaughn is back, glad he is getting a second go-round with the franchise.

noah111

Still Alive
I think that they can do both that as well as Winter Soldier for Captain America 2. Remember that at the core of it, the Winter Soldier arc was also a sort of "reset" for Captain America in the modern day, after the Avengers broke up in the comics and he was adjusting back to working for SHIELD and so on. They can easily retool that into something that fits the movie continuity imo.

Any ideas about Thor? I'm not that familiar with Thor in the comics, so I'm less certain of what good directions they might go there, other than letting the Gauntlet out somehow to set up Thanos further.
I hope they do that, and in the process make a bad ass out of Cap. His weak "OUCH" facial expression is so ingrained into my mind now, I want him to be a no-questions-asked-leader.

Hopefully CA2 expands his character drastically. Not sure about Thor though, other than the fact that the Bifrost is broken now and how that changes the roll of Asgard among the 9 realms. Oh and Jane.

Specifics though, we're pretty sure Loki won't be the focal enemy this time around, so it'll be interesting to see how/who they go with. Maybe some Hela sacrifice to save Jane ala 'New Ultimates'?

Specifics though, we're pretty sure Loki won't be the focal enemy this time around, so it'll be interesting to see how/who they go with. Maybe some Hela sacrifice to save Jane ala 'New Ultimates'?

My bet is on Surtur, would give Loki a good opportunity to redeem himself.

duckroll

I don't want Loki to redeem himself though. His job title is basically "God of Assholes", redemption doesn't fit into his schtick.

He will "redeem" himself, only just in time to be caught by Thanos and threatened for failing him. Then he delivers the Gauntlet to make up for it and he escapes to fight another day!

duckroll

He's a more complicated character than that and deserves a chance at further development. IMO.

His circumstances and background are complicated, but his personality really isn't. He's basically just an asshole who thinks he's really smart, and wants to find ways to make others suffer for his own amusement or make himself feel like the bigger man. I think that other more compassionate characters tend to see him as a complex character who is also a victim of circumstance, but that's really not what he's all about. It makes for a fun villain though.

He's a more complicated character than that and deserves a chance at further development. IMO.

Eh, maybe, but his portrayal in The Avengers is pretty basic cackling evil dude, and I am totally happy with that. I thoroughly enjoyed Hiddleston hamming it up in the Loki role and would gladly see more of that.

I guess we'll see what Thor 2 ends up being about- if it's the Enchantress/Scourge story that's been rumoured, I guess it's plausible for Loki to develop further. But the dialogue between Thor and Loki about "the war" in The Avengers seemed pretty definitive about what direction Loki has chosen. If he does turn over a new leaf in Thor 2, it'll be solely so he can double-cross Asgard again (probably in a fashion similar to what duckroll said).

Top Bottom