• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel comments on X-Men/Fantastic Four in MvC:Infinite, game will have DLC for years

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll have a much longer thread about this interview when I'm not on my phone, but I thought people would want to start debating this part now.

One challenge might be in choosing which characters will go in the game. While the full roster for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has not been confirmed as yet, the series' fanbase has been vocal about the initial absence of staple characters from the X-Men and Fantastic Four universes. To hear fan forums tell it, Marvel is withholding Wolverine, Dr. Doom, and the like as part of a dispute over the movie rights to those franchises with 20th Century Fox.

"It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what's going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...games-why-they-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to

Also this is relevant here as well, noting Marvel's strategy about characters in games going forward (the quote is about Spider-Man, but the strategy is division wide):

Marvel Games Head Bill Roseman: Yeah, Mr. Negative is a villain that a lot of people don't know about, but really, our attitude at Marvel and Marvel Games now is we're going to use our games to spotlight and elevate characters you might not have seen before, so it will be a mix of characters that you know like Kingpin, but we want to take someone like Mr. Negative, and really put the spotlight on him, and show everyone why he is so cool. He is only in... he's a villain who has only been mentioned since about six years ago, so he's only been in a handful of comics really in the history of Marvel, but this game is really going to put the spotlight on him and he's going to become one of your favorite villains.
Source: https://youtu.be/AH2D9xnjfwk?

Jawmuncher

Unless the leak roster is wrong, they already know the response the fans had to the roster and it sure wasn't positive. If anything sounds like "People will be pleased with our DLC picks". Since it seems a lot of effort is going into the DLC schedule.

I half expect every highly fan requested character to pop up through that by the end of next year.

----

That would be the first time anyone has said anything about Mr. Negative being in the game unless I missed something.

Yeah.... something tells me that people won't as pleased with paying for DLC characters (X-men in particular) as Marvel thinks. Especially if the leaked roster is true.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unless the leak roster is wrong, they already know the response the fans had to the roster and it sure wasn't positive. If anything sounds like "People will be pleased with our DLC picks". Since it seems a lot of effort is going into the DLC schedule.

I half expect every highly fan requested character to pop up through that by the end of next year.

----

That would be the first time anyone has said anything about Mr. Negative being in the game unless I missed something.
I updated the context of that quote since it likely relates to how they see who they will pick for DLC as it's a division wide initiative, but the Mr. Negative part is Spider-Man.

Blackage

Meh, to me they just didn't want to come out and say "No X-men, no Fantastic Four chars" to not hurt the game's initial sales. There might be a group who just might refuse to buy the game if they know the X-men aren't coming, where as you can keep hope alive if you just wave the bait around, "we never said NO!"

Even if they add the X-men down the line, that first month is pretty crucial to a game's success, word of mouth, and establishing a vibrant player base. I hope the decision doesn't ruin too much of the game, aside from all the other bad press it's getting and continues to get.

Jawmuncher

I updated the context of that quote since it likely relates to how they see who they will pick for DLC as it's a division wide initiative, but the Mr. Negative part is Spider-Man.

Ahh ok. Yeah does seem like they're going DLC for any of the risky characters and probably pairing them up with fan favorites.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster."
...which doesn't contain any X-Men, FF characters, if the substantial leaks are to be believed.

BadWolf

Yeah I'm sure people will be super pleased with getting milked for years to come.

At least with SFV you can buy stuff with fight money.

joe2187

Banned
I only really care about how Capcom supports the game and the characters from their side added to the roster...

and She Hulk.

dan2026

This is stupid.

If they can have X-men and Fantastic 4 characters as DLC, then can have them in the base game.
Their bullshit doesn't hold water.

kewlmyc

I get they're trying to say "we'll support the game for years", but it sounds way more scummy when said as "we plan to turn it into a service".

rhandino

Banned
Yeah I'm sure people will be super pleased with getting milked for years to come.

At least with SFV you can buy stuff with fight money.
I mean, if the DLC is good and actually delivers fan requested character or character that offer something unique then everything will be fine.

I just hope the prices are not designed to milk u- hahahahahahahaha

dan2026

Everything about this game has been mishandled to the point of absurdity.

It seems like they actually want to turn people away from it.

Otheradam

We all know Marvel's mandate is not using any characters from movies they don't have control over- which means no mutants or FF. Anyone who thinks they will change their minds after all these years is silly. So far the roster is very MCU focused. Combined with terrible art direction and I have no interest in this game right now.

You don't have to buy every character...just buy the ones you want to play as. I am happy SFV gets DLC support, but I still haven't gotten anything because they haven't appealed to me.

This is stupid.

If they can have X-men and Fantastic 4 characters as DLC, then can have them in the base game.

IIRC Shuma-Gorath was in the same position.

Skilletor

We all know Marvel's mandate is not using any characters from movies they don't have control over- which means no mutants or FF. Anyone who thinks they will change their minds after all these years is silly. So far the roster is very MCU focused. Combined with terrible art direction and I have no interest in this game right now.

They literally just added Xmen to their own mobile fighter.

rhandino

Banned
Ugh, every time I hear "game as a service" I roll my eyes.
"Games as a service" is the business model that fighting games should and need to move because it ensures that as long as people is spending money on the game you get more content.

The problem with CAPCOM using games as a service is that so far it seems that they use it as an excuse to release really barebones base games and expect to fix that later with paid DLC.

Games getting constant support is bad now? lol.
No. Having a small roster that doesn't have a lot of fan favorites AND for the most part lacks new exciting characters as well, and then selling them as DLCs is a bad thing.

Like, why the hell isn't Black Panther in the base roster? Why do I have to buy him separately when he is already in the story mode that come with the game? Same can be said about Sigma.

It's even more disappointing when you consider the fact that for the base roster, they are reusing a good amount of the assets/moves form MvC3.

It'd be nice if on the heels of the games as a service and continued DLC support angle they either made the base package a lower price point or offer strong value with the DLC.

But I know that's something of a pipedream.

It'd be nice if on the heels of the games as a service and continued DLC support angle they either made the base package a lower price point or offer strong value with the DLC.

But I know that's something of a pipedream.

Well the strong value on the DLC is there with characters people want. It's just a shitty way of doing it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thought this thread was going to be about the Gamespot interview everyone is talking about in the discussion thread, and is much more detailed/comprehensive especially with respect to their response to the negative feedback.

DLC for years is good news, pretty much exactly what a long-time MvC fan wants to hear after how MvC3 worked out.

"Games as a service" is the business model that fighting games should and need to move because it ensures that as long as people is spending money on the game you get more content.

The problem with CAPCOM using games as a service is that so far it seems that they use it as an excuse to release really barebones base games and expect to fix that later with paid DLC.

yep .
GaaS is perfect for fighting games but capcom half ass the base game for SFV did not help them.

Skilletor

No. Having a small roster that doesn't have a lot of fan favorites AND for the most part lacks new exciting characters as well, and then selling them as DLCs is a bad thing.

Like, why the hell isn't Black Panther in the base roster? Why do I have to buy him separately when he is already in the story mode that come with the game? Same can be said about Sigma.

It's even more disappointing when you consider the fact that for the base roster, they are reusing a good amount of the assets/moves form MvC3.

/shrug

Then don't buy it, or buy it used, or buy it when it's 5 dollars after it bombs because the decisions came back to bite Cacpom in the ass.

A fighting game getting constant support with DLC is not "milking." Unless NRS is milking us when Red Hood was by far one of the most asked for characters and was one of the first DLC characters.

DLC for years is good news, pretty much exactly what a long-time MvC fan wants to hear after how MvC3 worked out.

This.

Ultimadrago

Thought this thread was going to be about the Gamespot interview everyone is talking about in the discussion thread, and is much more detailed/comprehensive especially with respect to their response to the negative feedback.

It's because of how (U)MvC3 worked out that I'd have to see it before I believe it (along with content/patch support running parallel).

It's really weird how all these practices that sound horrible for most games and make us roll the eyes are objectively good for fighting games (if done right).
It's like people want the age of rebuying the same game but slightly updated every year, like itwas before.

No, just making a complete game once is not an option. Fighting games need to remain interesting FOR YEARS, so competitive community sticks with them. AS such, it';s either "games as service" or "revisions". It doesn't amtter how much content the game will have on launch, two years down the line, that won't eb enough anymore.

/shrug

Then don't buy it, or buy it used, or buy it when it's 5 dollars after it bombs because the decisions came back to bite Cacpom in the ass.

A fighting game getting constant support with DLC is not "milking." Unless NRS is milking us when Red Hood was by far one of the most asked for characters and was one of the first DLC characters.
Well, I'm not buying it day one.

I'm just saying that it's not as simple as you make it out to be. "Games getting constant support is bad now? lol". There is more to it than that.

/shrug

Red Hood doesn't have an upcoming live-action movie that's getting everyone all hyped. The better example would be if NRS didn't include Harley Quinn in the base roster.
There's nothing to sort, the only things Marvel licensed away are the movie rights. Disney/Marvel fully owns the license rights to every other market.

They still want those movie rights. If they don't have them then I don't expect the X-Men and the F4 to be fully represented outside of Wolverine and Doom.

NeOak

Well the confirmation that the game will be supported for years is exciting.
I'm sure people are happy with the idea of getting less characters than MvC3 or especially MvC2 at launch and then having to pay for extra characters.

Yeah, definitely happy to give more money.

/s

Neoxon

This is stupid.

The base roster was likely decided when the ban was in full effect (late 2015 or early 2016), it probably didn't end until the tail-end of 2016, & we're only now seeing mobile games made after CoC reaping the benefits.

Neoxon

They literally just added Xmen to their own mobile fighter.
You mean Future Fight, they just recently added them, & the game is ever-expanding. MvCI (& Lego Marvel 2) likely had their base roster decided before Marvel & Fox buried the hatchet.

joe2187

Banned
There's nothing to sort, the only things Marvel licensed away are the movie rights. Disney/Marvel fully owns the license rights to every other market.

What about when nearly every single Marvel game released digitally was taken down for a while including the capcom games?

Yeah I was interested in this early on until the roster became the blandest ever in the versus series, so I guess they'll be getting my purchase years later, if ever.

Top Bottom