• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest releasing on consoles without microtransactions ($14.99)

Z3M0G

Interesting... does it have a campaign like the original Puzzle Quest games?

I loved the original... must have purchased 3 versions of it... didn't care for the 2nd one much.

How does this one stack up to those?

Neoxon

I'm surprised, there's actually X-Men in this game. Though to be fair, the game was made before Contest of Champions.

I may check it out thanks to the lack of microtransactions.

SpotAnime

Cool. I'll get this. But they brought the wrong Marvel game to consoles. We need Marvel Heroes with controller support stat.

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder how will be without micro transactions?

In one hand it sucked to play according to the energy of your team, but also when you dropped a 4/5 star card from an event it felt awesome. will this version had those events and drops too or will be more standard?

I used to play this but IT was Wayne to hardcore. To do good you needed to get up in the middle of the night or drop wharever you were doing to catch the end of an event. IF tis still like tjat i have ni interest in this.

Cool, but is this really that console-friendly a game? The core gameplay is still fun, but most of the RPG elements from the original games have been eliminated.

hymanator

I played the hell out of the original Puzzle Quest, but never could get into any of the sequels. When they went the micro-transaction route, I ignored them completely. I might give them another chance with this news.

I used to play this but IT was Wayne to hardcore. To do good you needed to get up in the middle of the night or drop wharever you were doing to catch the end of an event. IF tis still like tjat i have ni interest in this.

Those mechanics were all designed to take advantage of the free-to-play nature. If they're getting rid of that then they'd have to practically redesign the entire structure and turn it into something resembling earlier puzzle quest games for consoles.

Avid MPQ player here. I've...already put more than $15 into the mobile version of MPQ and I'll leave it at that.

Interestingly, the character selection screen shows that characters will have all 3 of their powers maxed out at Level 5. In the mobile/Steam version of the game, you could get covers for characters and spec them for different play styles (ex. 3/5/5 for a Captain America or a 5/4/4 for a Storm). It made it so that one character wasn't automatically the same as someone else's version of that character. It also made for a stressful experience where you need just one specific color for a character but it hasn't dropped in tokens or been available to you in months.

They also removed star rarities and every character is maxed out at Level 300 (even the 1* characters who used to max out at Level 50).

Finally, fucking Bagman is in the game and not Kamala Khan? Jesus, he's the worst.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Is this going to be available in the EU as well? I'm not into comic books but I'm a huge fan of the original Puzzle Quest and I'd love to buy a copy for my PS4.

joeblow

I first played Puzzle Quest three years ago and for a few weeks I was as addicted to that game as I've ever been to a title. Night and day, I played non-stop.

Marvel PQ on my mobile was skipped because of the FTP model, so I picked up this game on my PS4 now that those elements have been removed. I'm near the end of the first set of stories (maybe 30 battles so far) and it's been a blast. Not as addicting as the original release (nothing compares to your first time), but I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

Maybe someone who has played this version and the other version can compare, but for general fans of Match-3 games I can highly recommend it. There is quite a bit of strategy to getting the upperhand in a round and it can be pretty tough in some battles.

Still, I haven't had to grind for stats or powers yet, the graphics are sharp, and there seems to be a lot of rounds for the $15. At the very least, I'll likely spend another $85 in general by early November on the PSN, which would make MPQ free. If you are on the fence, I say go for it.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've only played a dozen story mode matches so far (PS4 version) and it's silly easy. Does it get more challenging later on?

Fewr

I played Puzzle Quest 2 some time ago, and got rid of it because I found it too grindy, or maybe I'm just terrible at the genre.

Top Bottom