• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios Skipping SDCC 2015, WB/DC To Hold "Significant Presentation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperial

San Diego Comic-Con just got a bit duller. Marvel Studios is not staging a major Hall H presentation next month for its upcoming feature films, I’ve learned. That cedes the stage for Warner Bros-based DC, which will be holding a significant presentation to introduce the Zack Snyder-directed Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice and Suicide Squad, both of which reach theaters next year, followed by the Gal Gadot starrer Wonder Woman and Justice League, Part One, which arrive in 2017. It is a real opportunity for Warner Bros to impress the fanboys, and it seems likely that Will Smith, Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and others will be front and center to feel that superhero love.

With so many hit franchises in working order, Marvel’s Kevin Feige just doesn’t have anything new to show this year. That happened in 2011, the last time Marvel skipped the Con. Too bad, because Marvel panels rarely disappoint, going back to 2009, when Robert Downey Jr took the stage and gave a whole Tony Stark performance for Iron Man 2. The following year was crazier, with the full cast of The Avengers being introduced.

Next year should be something as it will be the first time that Feige will have reason to introduce Spider-Man, after the wall crawler shows up in Captain America: Civil War. By then, the Russo brothers likely will be moving along with their new installment of The Avengers.

Comic-Con is only one month away, get excited!

Source: Deadline

Pretty sure we knew Marvel wasn't going to be at SDCC. They don't need it when they can put on their own events like the one in October and completely own an entire news cycle.

Gunn unofficially confirmed this on Twitter a few months back, no?

I imagine Marvel Studios stuff will be at D23 a month later instead.

antonz

All the major projects are in development or early filming. Not much they could really do. They already have incredible mindshare among people so it isn't like they need to show up just to present anything to try and save face or build rep.

I believe it was (unofficially?) confirmed no Marvel Studios presence at SDCC. Not sure if it's the first we've heard of a significant DC/WB presentation, but it was a given anyway.

Tengrave

What else live action does DC have to show besides Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman? I guess new CW DC shows content?

Ahasverus

What else live action does DC have to show besides Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman? I guess new CW DC shows content?
Wonder Woman and the Justice League, that's what thet've announced for the CC2015. I expect more surprises of course, Shazam included.

SDCC 2015 is going to be DC/WB's chance at the spotlight. Don't fuck it up!

spotlight was always widely distributed anyways. whether or not marvel showed up WB would still have a pretty big presence there this year, as did the Xmen panel for DOFP a few years back (GOAT panel, so many actors on that one)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
most probably because everyone at Marvel is off filming Captain America 3: Civil War.

Penguin

I'm more curious what it means for Ant-Man

Since it won't really have any big con push

Sure, it will do decently, but not even showing up a week before launch or maybe something smaller

Shaanyboi

Banned
30eEul4.gif

Very excited to see/hear more from BvS and Suicide Squad.

Game4life

Banned
Personally only interested in DC properties anyway given the type of MCU movies we have been getting although I was interested in getting civil war news as Russo's are at the helm. I hope DC does not fk up BVS and Suicide Squad. Super interested in both. Please be good!

Dalek

I think they announced this a long time ago. Kind of weird but they had success with their own presentation I guess.

I just hope that enough people sell their passes back so that I can get one.

this.

Disney aint playing with SDCC anymore, the mouse can make $$$$$ and have more press if they have their own event, imagine marvel x star wars x pixar x etc in one con, infinite press x money

Coins

Banned
this.

Disney aint playing with SDCC anymore, the mouse can make $$$$$ and have more press if they have their own event, imagine marvel x star wars x pixar x etc in one con, infinite press x money

Marvel comics is still going to be at SDCC, just not the movie studio.

Effect

I'm more curious what it means for Ant-Man

Since it won't really have any big con push

Sure, it will do decently, but not even showing up a week before launch or maybe something smaller

Ant-Man has never really gotten a chance to shine I think. First the Avengers 2 came out. I thought after that they would build up Ant-Man but they didn't. They went right into hyping Captain American 3: Civil War as soon as Avengers 2 was out in all major areas. Ant-Man largely seems to be an afterthought by Marvel/Disney. Maybe they feel it will do well regardless and that people will just automatically see it because it has the Marvel Studios logo on it. That's dangerous thinking if that is the case. You don't want to start taking your audience for granted like that.

mreddie

Ant-Man has never really gotten a chance to shine I think. First the Avengers 2 came out. I thought after that they would build up Ant-Man but they didn't. They went right into hyping Captain American 3: Civil War as soon as Avengers 2 was out in all major areas. Ant-Man largely seems to be an afterthought by Marvel/Disney. Maybe they feel it will do well regardless and that people will just automatically see it because it has the Marvel Studios logo on it. That's dangerous thinking if that is the case. You don't want to start taking your audience for granted like that.

They are pushing it though but it's not like Avengers had a stinger dedicated to Antman. It's literally the small guy between two major films.

Busty

Banned

We could see WB announce...,

-- Their slate of Vertigo films (Sandman, Dark Universe etc) and maybe TV (
Y: The Last Man
?) shows. Though it is possible that they will wait until after BvS opens before announcing their Vertigo film slate.

-- More details about Suicide Squad including if
Deathstroke
is really in the film and who is playing him. Also we might find out who the antagonist of the film is.

-- Since it's after E3 we might even see something from WB Games announced for more from a title announced at E3.

-- I also expect a big presence from their television productions with a bigger look at Supergirl (
welp
) and Lucifer..., unless of course WBtv have their own panel, which IIRC, they have done in previous years.

They know Ant Man is gonna bomb and they dont want to deal with the fanboys

Oh you.

I expect new BvS trailer, a little teaser (like last years BvS) for Suicide Squad.

Costume reveals for the rest of the Justice League - The Flash and Cyborg.

Vertigo movie plans.

Also some video game that has to do with their movies. Probably lego, maybe AAA now that the Arkham series will finish with Arkham Knight.

Busty

Banned
I expect new BvS trailer, a little teaser (like last years BvS) for Suicide Squad.

Costume reveals for the rest of the Justice League - The Flash and Cyborg.

These are both great shouts. Especially the reveal of The Flash and Cyborg given that BvS will release before the next SDC.

FeD.nL

If Marvel makes that phase 3 announcement presser a yearly thing with the live stream for everyone i'm all for it.

Busty

Banned
If Marvel makes that phase 3 announcement presser a yearly thing with the live stream for everyone i'm all for it.

But surely that has to be diminishing returns given that they have already announced their slate for the next 4 to 5 years?

So rather than announcing any new film projects it would just be 'first looks' at stuff and casting. I'm not saying that wouldn't make for a good show it's just they wouldn't have the 'pizzaz' of the previous Infinity Wars etc announcement show.

FeD.nL

But surely that has to be diminishing returns given that they have already announced their slate for the next 4 to 5 years?

So rather than announcing any new film projects it would just be 'first looks' at stuff and casting. I'm not saying that wouldn't make for a good show it's just they wouldn't have the 'pizzaz' of the previous Infinity Wars etc announcement show.

Well if they premiere the trailer for Civil War and a small teaser for Dr. Strange and perhaps even something of GotG2 to finish the presser I think it would generate much more attention then doing it at SDCC where everything is locked off for anyone not in the hall

ninjabat

Reasonable predictions:
Batman V Superman new trailer and panel.

Suicide Squad teaser trailer and panel.

Wonderwoman movie a no show( will appear next year with a trailer)

Justice League movie a no show ( will appear next year with a teaser)

Possibly Vertigo movies slate announcement to wrap things up ( or at least mention of the first movie).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom