• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios Skipping SDCC 2015, WB/DC To Hold "Significant Presentation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I expect new BvS trailer, a little teaser (like last years BvS) for Suicide Squad.

Costume reveals for the rest of the Justice League - The Flash and Cyborg.

Vertigo movie plans.

Also some video game that has to do with their movies. Probably lego, maybe AAA now that the Arkham series will finish with Arkham Knight.

Considering it doesn't seem that Justice League has started filming, I doubt we'll be seeing Cyborg. They made it kinda clear in their announcement that Vic Stone's appearance in BvS is purely him as a civilian/football player. Flash, I'm not sure what capacity we'll see him in.

Busty

Banned
Considering it doesn't seem that Justice League has started filming, I doubt we'll be seeing Cyborg. They made it kinda clear in their announcement that Vic Stone's appearance in BvS is purely him as a civilian/football player. Flash, I'm not sure what capacity we'll see him in.

I think that, from a branding perspective, WB will want to show off Cyborg given that he's a part of the Justice League.

It's not as if it's a spoiler at this point that Victor Stone becomes Cyborg.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think that, from a branding perspective, WB will want to show off Cyborg given that he's a part of the Justice League.

It's not as if it's a spoiler at this point that Victor Stone becomes Cyborg.

No, but it doesn't mean they have that stuff nailed down in terms of what it's going to look like. Movie is two years away and won't film for atleast another 6 months. Atleast Aquaman is actually going to be in BvS.

Makes sense. But i think since we are talking about Comic Book movies they´ll show the costume anyway. I´m sure that we´ll get an actual teaser for Justice league at next year CC and having the costume reveal this year seams realistic to me.

But hey, who knows.

Busty

Banned
No, but it doesn't mean they have that stuff nailed down in terms of what it's going to look like. Movie is two years away and won't film for atleast another 6 months. Atleast Aquaman is actually going to be in BvS.

I'd very surprised if WB didn't have the look of Cyborg nailed down by this point. I think it's no surprise that the comics have just unveiled a new, more streamlined redesign of Cyborg and I imagine that new design will influence the way the character will look in the DCU.

Loxley

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that WB will be announcing the new Green Lantern at SDCC. Also that Affleck will be directing the next solo Batman film, which will (hopefully) be an adaption of Court of Owls.

At bare minimum I want another trailer for BVS and character portraits for Flash, Cyborg, GL and Black Adam.

I'm a bit disappointed Marvel won't be there because I want to see their plans for Dr. Strange, even if it is just details and concept art.

I'd very surprised if WB didn't have the look of Cyborg nailed down by this point. I think it's no surprise that the comics have just unveiled a new, more streamlined redesign of Cyborg and I imagine that new design will influence the way the character will look in the DCU.

Ray has been teasing on twitter for awhile. I think it's gonna happen.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that WB will be announcing the new Green Lantern at SDCC. Also that Affleck will be directing the next solo Batman film, which will (hopefully) be an adaption of Court of Owls.

Yeah I think we'll get an updated slate, hopefully WW won't be pushed back but it seems likely Shazam might be pushed forward, Rock seems confident in before 2019. I think GL will be cast and we'll have the full league in person, hopefully we can get a Shazam cast as well.

Slayven

napBNAB.jpg

Busty

Banned
Yeah I think we'll get an updated slate, hopefully WW won't be pushed back but it seems likely Shazam might be pushed forward, Rock seems confident in before 2019. I think GL will be cast and we'll have the full league in person, hopefully we can get a Shazam cast as well.

Given all the hints that Johnson has been dropping I wonder if there isn't a surprise in the offing regarding Shazam/Black Adam?

With San Andreas (also a WB/New Line film) giving ol' Dwayne his best opening yet could the studio either move the release of Shazam up or even have Black Adam feature in another DCU film (Justice League cameo or maybe Man Of Steel sequel?) or his own solo film before he features in the Shazam film?

Interesting developments ahead to be sure.

I'm OK with this. The only thing from Marvel I wanted to see were previews to Daredevil Season 2 and Shield Season 3.

Though I'm still not certain I want to camp out Hall H for like 20 something hours this year just to see the DC previews.

G-Fex

who cares, marvel gets enough hype from their own presentation thing anyway.

Wonder what WB is going to show

Imperial

This is what I'm anticipating the most. It's amazing how well WB have kept things under wraps, we didn't have any clue which other actors were testing for Flash and Cyborg.

Given all the hints that Johnson has been dropping I wonder if there isn't a surprise in the offing regarding Shazam/Black Adam?

With San Andreas (also a WB/New Line film) giving ol' Dwayne his best opening yet could the studio either move the release of Shazam up or even have Black Adam feature in another DCU film (Justice League cameo or maybe Man Of Steel sequel?) or his own solo film before he features in the Shazam film?

Interesting developments ahead to be sure.

Maybe they're buckling under "no jokes" pressure :p.

I always read Shazam as the most flexible of the schedule since it's at New Line. Even before they announced the slate they had Shazam rumored for 2016. I still think Black Adam will be the (or one of) the antagonists in JL: Part One.

B33

Banned
Yep.

Can't wait to see more of WB's superhero movies that "aren't superhero movies."

Honestly? I hope their films are good, but they need to drop the whole "no jokes" missive. It comes across as absurd.

Game4life

Banned
Yep.

Honestly? I hope their films are good, but they need to drop the whole "no jokes" missive. It comes across as absurd.

I rather have no jokes than the overdose of horrible unfunny one liners that occur in MCU movies these days. The world is in peril yes? Then act like it is for a change.

Penguin

Yep.

1)How many times does that need to be disproven?

2)The article literally mentions they recognize the need for humor....

There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. And when you are trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part.

B33

Banned
I rather have no jokes than the overdose of horrible unfunny one liners that occur in MCU movies these days. The world is in peril yes? Then act like it is for a change.
That's befuddling. I don't even know where to begin.

The use of humor doesn't negate the peril. Why can't a hero deliver a quip while still acknowledging the perilous nature of the situation they're in? It's a matter of balance. Some of the most successful films have a mixture of humor, action, romance, and intrigue.

I'd argue the prime cut of Marvel's works, such as GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, THE AVENGERS, and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLIDER understand that it's not about having a hero save the day, but how they choose to do so.

Dismissing Marvel's work because of the pervasive "one-liners" is a facile understanding of what makes their movies so successful.

My main issue with WB's insistence that things be "serious" and "gritty" is that it feels like a decision mandated by top brass who want to differentiate their products just for the sake of delineation.

I hope BvS doesn't turn out to be as dour as the marketing is portraying it to be. I was disappointed by MAN OF STEEL and want to see WB/DC churn out a decent film.

1)How many times does that need to be disproven?

2)The article literally mentions they recognize the need for humor....
They might recognize it, but I don't see this reflected in any of their work so far. The marketing material for BvS just exudes "no fun allowed."

Trust me when I say I'd like to be proven wrong.

jax

Banned
This kind of sucks cause I always do Hall H. But the line to get in that place is so atrocious that I'm actually kind of happy I get to skip it this year. DC stuff is beyond boring.

Wiktor

I hope they show some Supergirl.

On DC panel? I think it;s likely they might do separate panel for Supergirl and then another one of crazy mega DC TV panels. last year's one was AFAIR the biggest panel ever made on Comiccon. And this year Constantine is gone, but there's also Legends, Lucifer, Supergirl and iZombie to add. This time the stage really might collapse :D

Wiktor

Yep.

Anyone who honestly believes there will really be no jokes in all upcoming DC movies is hilarioiusly out of touch with reality.

ReiGun

Marvel will be at D23 as other have said.

For DC, here's about what I expect.

BvS: New shakey cam footage courtesy of a WB employee really brave fan. I expect this to comprise the bulk of whatever presentation WB have planned for their DC slate, so extended questioning and such with the entire cast and Synder. Some kind of reveal. Either the physical threat or Luthor's Power Armor (assuming the rumors about it being in are true).

Suicide Squad: A bit of questioning for the cast members who join the panel. Maybe some shakey footage of an early cut of the Joker/Harley scene we saw, but that's a long shot.

Wonder Woman: If we see anything at all, it'll be a logo a maybe an announcement of who's playing Steve Trevor.

Justice League: If we see anything at all, it'll be a logo and maybe concept art of the entire League.

Other Solo Films: Same deal. Logos if we see anything. Maybe we'll get a picture of Rock as Black Adam. Maybe. Might get some release dates.

Vertigo: Probably nothing, unless JGL da gawd shocks us all with Sandman. :p

TV: Trailers for the new seasons of Flash, Arrow, and Gotham. More info on Supergirl and Lucifer. More info on one or two other projects they've had cooking.

The script writers for Flash are the same as 21/22 jump street and Shazam's script writer has written kid films in the past, each character will have their own tone, similar to how DC TVerse works where Flash/Supergirl are more lighthearted and Arrow is more dramatic. The only problem is that these humor heavy movies aren't due until at least 2018, though I'm sure there's an equal amount of detractors that would say WB is copying Marvel if/when they release those two movies.

Vibranium

Banned

I can agree with that. I love jokes but Feige needs to tone it down a little sometimes. Daredevil handled humour really well, more MCU movies should follow that blueprint. Spidey is one of the only ones who should be dropping one liners every second.

I'm confident DC will still have some humour and I'm really excited for their movie slate. I like both companies.

Bigfoot

The script writers for Flash are the same as 21/22 jump street and Shazam's script writer has written kid films in the past, each character will have their own tone, similar to how DC TVerse works where Flash/Supergirl are more lighthearted and Arrow is more dramatic. The only problem is that these humor heavy movies aren't due until at least 2018, though I'm sure there's an equal amount of detractors that would say WB is copying Marvel if/when they release those two movies.

The DC movies don't need to have humor to be good. Daredevil is the best thing put out by Marvel Studios and it had zero humor. It pretty much out darked DC.

Tabby

There were jokes in MOS, albeit unfunny ones but still jokes so I'm not sure where this is coming from.
Just because they don't beat you over the head and have jokes every 5 minutes doesn't mean there aren't any.

Wiktor

The DC movies don't need to have humor to be good. Daredevil is the best thing put out by Marvel Studios and it had zero humor. It pretty much out darked DC.

Meanwhile Flash is cheerful and happy and it's also the best thing put out by DC recently.

It's funny how both companies completely reversed their aproach in their most successful tv properties

Toothless

I have a feeling Marvel will still be there for TV, since Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2 should be there for production stuff and clips on the former. Maybe the end of that panel will give free tickets to an Ant-Man premiere too.

mreddie

I have a feeling Marvel will still be there for TV, since Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2 should be there for production stuff and clips on the former. Maybe the end of that panel will give free tickets to an Ant-Man premiere too.

Maybe with Antman but I expect D23, we'll see Jess, DD S2, Agents, Carter and the films.

Anything can build it into the filming schedule. Marvel didn't care to do so. They don't really need to with the event they already held earlier this year. This is an opportunity for others to shine brightly

Shaanyboi

Banned
That's befuddling. I don't even know where to begin.

The use of humor doesn't negate the peril. Why can't a hero deliver a quip while still acknowledging the perilous nature of the situation they're in? It's a matter of balance. Some of the most successful films have a mixture of humor, action, romance, and intrigue.

I'd argue the prime cut of Marvel's works, such as GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, THE AVENGERS, and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLIDER understand that it's not about having a hero save the day, but how they choose to do so.

Dismissing Marvel's work because of the pervasive "one-liners" is a facile understanding of what makes their movies so successful.

My main issue with WB's insistence that things be "serious" and "gritty" is that it feels like a decision mandated by top brass who want to differentiate their products just for the sake of delineation.

I hope BvS doesn't turn out to be as dour as the marketing is portraying it to be. I was disappointed by MAN OF STEEL and want to see WB/DC churn out a decent film.

They might recognize it, but I don't see this reflected in any of their work so far. The marketing material for BvS just exudes "no fun allowed."

Trust me when I say I'd like to be proven wrong.

...meaning the one movie they've put out so far? And a trailer that has a whopping 20 seconds of actual footage?

The trailer for MOST Marvel movies are dour as shit. Age of Ultron, while I didn't mind the humour like some others, had some incredibly serious trailers. Iron Man 3 had very serious looking trailers. Ant-Man had a very serious looking first trailer.

Trailers are isolated mood pieces that with the right music and right selection of shots can be made to look like anything. It's hardly indicative of a whole product. Even if BvS is a largely serious movie, I doubt you have a movie like Suicide Squad and not present it as a gang of misfit assholes. People who took that "no jokes" rumour to heart seem to think this was some absolute end-all be-all mantra. Even the Nolan movies had jokes, even if they weren't cracking one-liners every scene.

There is a rumour going around that a
flash(making the spoiler longer to hide name)
game is getting announced at E3

That's interesting, do you have a source

I would have thought suicide squad would make an appearance before any other games.

From Heroic Hollywood, Marvel bailed because knew couldn't compete with what DC was showing, which makes a certain amount of sense.

Not in the Marvel has nothing, but Ant-man is a smaller thing and not a ton of footage of Civil War

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2...os-bailed-from-this-years-comic-con-exclusive

oh god

ninjabat

Well at least the Fox-men will be there. After DOFP and First Class, they are the ones to watch. Also Deadpool, which will probably have an awesome trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom