• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 coming to PS4?

Oh god, I'm so ready. Didn't play these last gen but loved the X-Men Legends. Did these games have online co-op?
Both did, but the first one had some of the worst online functionality I experienced last gen. Me and my friends would get disconnected so frequently.

AwRy108

Ult. Alliance 2 was a terrible game. It's basically an over-simplified version of the first UA, and pales in comparison to it. Felt like a total cash grab.

Would be all over a port of the original UA, as well as XMen Legends 2 (which is an AMAZING game!).

Ult. Alliance 2 was a terrible game. It's basically an over-simplified version of the first UA, and pales in comparison to it. Felt like a total cash grab.

Would be all over a port of the original UA, as well as XMen Legends 2 (which is an AMAZING game!).

Yea I dunno what it was about UA but I hated it. Absolutely loved X-Men Legends though.

bunkitz

But that's the inferior one between the two... I liked the game, but nowhere near as much as the first. Then again, I was playing on the PS2, so I don't know, maybe that's why it wasn't as good for me.

Bladenic

I never got to play much of Xmen Legends 2 despite loving the first, wish that series would get revived or even just PS2 classic released. But I never played the UA series so I'm imterested.

Varth

Finally someone whos willing to give me a motivations to UA2 being inferiore dwspite looking the same to me (didn't play it back in the day). Can you explain further? Kinda excited to play them.

AwRy108

Finally someone whos willing to give me a motivations to UA2 being inferiore dwspite looking the same to me (didn't play it back in the day). Can you explain further? Kinda excited to play them.

The RPG elements were all but stripped out of UA2. UA1 took a small step in that direction by removing the random loot system found in XMen Legends 2, but UA2 went whole-hog and the experience into more of a basic brawler with Marvel fan service.

If you have any affinity for action-RPG's, then XMen Legends 2 is a must-play title:
  • every character has a sizable skill tree
  • the game has a relatively deep loot system with random drops and rarity levels
  • the combat system takes a lot from fighting games (combos, juggles, knock-downs, etc.)
  • the environments are skinned with highly destructible layers, and everything has an underlying HP system (eg. Cyclops' vanilla Optic Blast takes a few shots to bust a wall, but after popping a few skills points into it, one blast will shatter the wall)
  • there's lots of characters to choose from for your 4-person party, and you can swap them out on a frequent basis
  • there's a "new game+" mode so you can play with min-maxing

Game is still great on PS2, XBox, and PC; but stay away from the PSP version due to visual and loading issues.

In terms of playing UA1 again--which, BTW, is still a fun ARPG--your best bet is the XBox 360 (and PC?), as the PS3 version is a rough port with lots of framerate and resolution downgrades. I believe UA1 is also headed to XBone BC, if it isn't already.

TL;DR: check out this bad-ass boss fight against Juggernaut in the X-Mansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ICSWo4ULE

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
It's a shame that they're not porting XMen Legends and going with the much inferior Ultimate Alliance series.

Top Bottom